Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: Wow- I love that! Old fashioned manners and basic charity toward God and man! ...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

Wow- I love that! Old fashioned manners and basic charity toward God and man!

This is a great thread, some heart-warming stories here.. I'll come back when I'm having a bad day ;)

--hide--
Felicity, that is exactly the "crux" of the whole matter/thread; CHARITY! You are welcome to come back on a "good day" too!smile

May 9th 2013 new
Jerry, I don't know if we still have chivalry, but I do see good manners and kind hearts, both male and female, and that is always appreciated.

The key is to not expect excellent manners from others, that way when someone does exhibit A+ manners, even just in small good deeds, it really stands out.

Here is an act of chivalry: When I was in my 20's, a family member called that he had accidently locked his keys in his car at work. I wanted to help out, and so I got in my car to rush a spare car key to him. The freeway exit went directly into a congested traffic area, and was also near a residential area. As I drove off the freeway, an elderly man driving an expensive car broadsided my little car. My car spun off into a empty field, and no other cars were involved.

I remember seeing the elderly man who had hit my car, and I felt bad for him, as he appeared very concerned for me. As I was noticing that my little car was totaled, I put my hand to my head and as I took it away, I could see that it was covered with blood. Also, blood was gushing down onto my white sweatshirt. I remember thinking that I was probably going to die that day, and probably I was just about to faint.

But instead, this man from the crowd that had gathered there, rushed toward me. He wrapped my bloody head in a shirt that some other guy had taken off his back! He assured me that he was a medical doctor, and that I was not badly hurt; that it only appeared that way, e.g., he took the time to explain to me what was happening, so I didn't go into a panic. I don't remember the ambulance taking me to the nearest hospital, but the doctor there joked as he stitched my scalp back together, which helped to keep my frame of mind at ease. Someone must have also called my family, as they showed up there.

So that day there were 5 chivalrous people in my life; Four men and one woman.
May 9th 2013 new
Yes. Had lunch with a male friend yesterday and as we approached the door, I was a step ahead and went to reach, and he said, I'll get that. Yea!!!! We all have to teach that to our children, and more so the boys. (I'm trying)
May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Jerry, I don't know if we still have chivalry, but I do see good manners and kind hearts, both ...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Jerry, I don't know if we still have chivalry, but I do see good manners and kind hearts, both male and female, and that is always appreciated.

The key is to not expect excellent manners from others, that way when someone does exhibit A+ manners, even just in small good deeds, it really stands out.

Here is an act of chivalry: When I was in my 20's, a family member called that he had accidently locked his keys in his car at work. I wanted to help out, and so I got in my car to rush a spare car key to him. The freeway exit went directly into a congested traffic area, and was also near a residential area. As I drove off the freeway, an elderly man driving an expensive car broadsided my little car. My car spun off into a empty field, and no other cars were involved.

I remember seeing the elderly man who had hit my car, and I felt bad for him, as he appeared very concerned for me. As I was noticing that my little car was totaled, I put my hand to my head and as I took it away, I could see that it was covered with blood. Also, blood was gushing down onto my white sweatshirt. I remember thinking that I was probably going to die that day, and probably I was just about to faint.

But instead, this man from the crowd that had gathered there, rushed toward me. He wrapped my bloody head in a shirt that some other guy had taken off his back! He assured me that he was a medical doctor, and that I was not badly hurt; that it only appeared that way, e.g., he took the time to explain to me what was happening, so I didn't go into a panic. I don't remember the ambulance taking me to the nearest hospital, but the doctor there joked as he stitched my scalp back together, which helped to keep my frame of mind at ease. Someone must have also called my family, as they showed up there.

So that day there were 5 chivalrous people in my life; Four men and one woman.
--hide--
Oh my! You had 5 guardian angels that day! Very good story Jacqueline! Thank you for sharing~

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: Yes. Had lunch with a male friend yesterday and as we approached the door, I was a step ahead and we...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: Yes. Had lunch with a male friend yesterday and as we approached the door, I was a step ahead and went to reach, and he said, I'll get that. Yea!!!! We all have to teach that to our children, and more so the boys. (I'm trying)
--hide--
Yea...indeed, Elizabeth! I am encouraged to know there are many men out there who practice this.....and probably regularly!

May 9th 2013 new

As an aside, when I was a teen-ager I babysat for a couple that had two children. When the couple would return home from wherever they went, the husband always helped me get my coat on! I'd blush, and say, "Thank you!" as he helped me get my jacket. I'm about 15 years old or so, and I'm completely overwhelmed by this gesture. And he never failed to help me get my jacket on every time I came over! Anyhow, he's much older, and I really want to say to him, "You were always so kind to help me get my jacket/coat on. It was such a chilvarous gesture." Sad to say, while I've dated some nice guys who've opened doors, waited in the car until I got in the apartment, not one has helped me with my jacket as did this man I babysat for so many years ago.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) MaryBeth-962769 said: As an aside, when I was a teen-ager I babysat for a couple that had two children. When the cou...
(Quote) MaryBeth-962769 said:

As an aside, when I was a teen-ager I babysat for a couple that had two children. When the couple would return home from wherever they went, the husband always helped me get my coat on! I'd blush, and say, "Thank you!" as he helped me get my jacket. I'm about 15 years old or so, and I'm completely overwhelmed by this gesture. And he never failed to help me get my jacket on every time I came over! Anyhow, he's much older, and I really want to say to him, "You were always so kind to help me get my jacket/coat on. It was such a chilvarous gesture." Sad to say, while I've dated some nice guys who've opened doors, waited in the car until I got in the apartment, not one has helped me with my jacket as did this man I babysat for so many years ago.

--hide--
Thanks for posting MaryBeth. That is a shame. In my own case...I sometimes forget to pull the chair out (working on it) but DO remember to help with the coat/jacket etc. Maybe it's my age....don't know...but that one is an easy one to remember~

May 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Oh my! You had 5 guardian angels that day! Very good story Jacqueline! Thank you for sharing~
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Oh my! You had 5 guardian angels that day! Very good story Jacqueline! Thank you for sharing~

--hide--

Guess I was thinking along the lines that over the years I have had some male guardian angels. On that day, I certainly did! Also, guess I felt like writing and escaping the TV.
May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Guess I was thinking along the lines that over the years I have had some male guardian ange...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

Guess I was thinking along the lines that over the years I have had some male guardian angels. On that day, I certainly did! Also, guess I felt like writing and escaping the TV.
--hide--
I rarely watch regular television anyway. Now if a good movie is waiting at the store for me....well, that's a different story!

I remember one time at a party I was having....my little sister brought her then boyfriend. There were adult beverages. And there were....I don't know for sure....30 people there. HE had obviously had too much to drink and was arguing with her. I was all eyes and ears...as he was not looking at or for me. I suddenly jumped up and stood between them and said, "Party's over....it it TIME FOR YOU TO GO HOME!" He tried to turn his anger to me...but I again said loudly, "TIME TO GO" (this time I was in his face) He said, "Okay let's go" (to her) I said, "NOPE...you're leaving and she is staying I will take her home!" He left.

May 10th 2013 new

The winter of 2011 was one of the iciest I have ever experienced in Indianapolis. It seemed that every surface at one time or another was covered with ice--that meant the cars that were not snug inside a garage were covered & even embedded in ice!

Besides that problem, I was also experiencing some mobility/health problems at that same time. One afternoon, my friend (80 years old, but still spry) offered to take me to the hospital for a test. When we got back to my apartment complex we could see that the ice was thawing a little & she offered to help me try to scrape my car free. It was a very daunting task. I thought, "If only Jason (a nice young man who used to live next door but had moved just around the corner in the same complex) were around!" At about that very minute, Jason just happened to pull into the parking lot, stopped & immediately offered his help. He not only got all the ice off the car, he was able to move the car so that it broke free of the ice where the tires were embedded so that I could get to work the next morning. I experienced the help of 2 angels that day--one an 80-year old woman & the other a 20-something young man!!! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! knight-errant knight-errant rose rose

Posts 141 - 150 of 188