Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: The winter of 2011 was one of the iciest I have ever experienced in Indianapolis. It seemed that ...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

The winter of 2011 was one of the iciest I have ever experienced in Indianapolis. It seemed that every surface at one time or another was covered with ice--that meant the cars that were not snug inside a garage were covered & even embedded in ice!

Besides that problem, I was also experiencing some mobility/health problems at that same time. One afternoon, my friend (80 years old, but still spry) offered to take me to the hospital for a test. When we got back to my apartment complex we could see that the ice was thawing a little & she offered to help me try to scrape my car free. It was a very daunting task. I thought, "If only Jason (a nice young man who used to live next door but had moved just around the corner in the same complex) were around!" At about that very minute, Jason just happened to pull into the parking lot, stopped & immediately offered his help. He not only got all the ice off the car, he was able to move the car so that it broke free of the ice where the tires were embedded so that I could get to work the next morning. I experienced the help of 2 angels that day--one an 80-year old woman & the other a 20-something young man!!!

--hide--
Funny how people just show up right when you need them the most. This certainly would hold true of your two angels!

May 11th 2013 new
...every single time....:-)
May 12th 2013 new

My only hope for this post of mine is to contribute to a deepening of understanding of Chivalry as I understand it. Hopefully it may be of some help to the younger folks whose only conception of Chivalry might be that as presented by Hollywood directors and purveyors of romance novels. I hope my comments below will convey a Catholic understanding of this glorious spirit in the history of our church.

Historically, Chivalry was the result of a union between the religious and warrior spirits, it was the triumph of Charity and Justice over pagan principles and habits. The spirit of Chivalry consisted in the fear and love of God, its soul was a love of the Catholic faith, courtesy was its flower and martyrdom its glory.

The motto of Chivalry was “Godly, Chastely, Justly” and the virtues peculiar to Chivalry were seven: the first three being Faith, Hope and Charity. Can you name the remaining four? There were twelve rules on the chivalrous life, and rule #1 was daily attendance at mass. Chivalry is more than just being polite to ladies. Chivalry is a call to holiness in terms a man can understand and as befits his masculine nature. The “womanizer, romantic” chivalry of Hollywood is its death.

To live “Godly” requires Our Lord and daily recourse to the sacraments. To live “Chastely” requires Our Lady and a True Devotion to her. To live “Justly” requires St Joseph and the emulation of the virtues of the “Just One”.

If we men want to be chivalrous today we must do more than open doors for women and pay for lunch. Though good in themselves, courtesy and good manners are simply not enough. Something much deeper is called for. Indeed, it will require us to pursue a new course of life, a life that is watchful in prayer, avoids sin, pride and idleness. We must be high-minded in adversity, superior in courtesy, firm in manly honesty and fearless in self-sacrifice.

This is a high ideal to which few attain and I for one, most certainly have not. In fact I can think of only one man who actually reached it, Our Lord Jesus Christ. For who was more high-minded in adversity, more superior in courtesy, more firm in manly honesty and fearless in self-sacrifice than he as he hung upon the cross? Ladies: Do you see how only one in twelve men had the courage to witness it, let alone practice it? Guys: Do you see how holy women are drawn to it?

It may surprise you to learn that among the twelve rules of Chivalry there was no mention at all of women and the courtesy and honour due to them. At best, the only reference to women at all was rule #4 which stated “Search out widows and orphans in their necessity”. Courtesy is but the bloom of Chivalry, not its substance. Nevertheless, courtesy and honour of women was inculcated in the chivalrous man and as a result he was imbued with sentiments such as these:

“All one’s life one is bound to honour and serve them [women], and never speak to them but with the utmost courtesy. Who acts otherwise is a low fellow.”

“There is a kind of superiority which women should preserve over us, arising even from their weakness and the respect which it inspires. There is another kind which belongs to the dignity of man, which not only do women recognize, but for the abandonment of which they never pardon him.”

“Lost is all honour to him who does not render honour to women.”

But to answer the question posed by Jerry, although I have paid for many a lunches and opened plenty of doors, I cannot recall ever having performed even one single act of Chivalry. This is just one man’s opinion, but it’s mine.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-941533 said: My only hope for this post of mine is to contribute to a deepening of understanding of Chivalry...
(Quote) Michael-941533 said:

My only hope for this post of mine is to contribute to a deepening of understanding of Chivalry as I understand it. Hopefully it may be of some help to the younger folks whose only conception of Chivalry might be that as presented by Hollywood directors and purveyors of romance novels. I hope my comments below will convey a Catholic understanding of this glorious spirit in the history of our church.

Historically, Chivalry was the result of a union between the religious and warrior spirits, it was the triumph of Charity and Justice over pagan principles and habits. The spirit of Chivalry consisted in the fear and love of God, its soul was a love of the Catholic faith, courtesy was its flower and martyrdom its glory.

The motto of Chivalry was “Godly, Chastely, Justly” and the virtues peculiar to Chivalry were seven: the first three being Faith, Hope and Charity. Can you name the remaining four? There were twelve rules on the chivalrous life, and rule #1 was daily attendance at mass. Chivalry is more than just being polite to ladies. Chivalry is a call to holiness in terms a man can understand and as befits his masculine nature. The “womanizer, romantic” chivalry of Hollywood is its death.

To live “Godly” requires Our Lord and daily recourse to the sacraments. To live “Chastely” requires Our Lady and a True Devotion to her. To live “Justly” requires St Joseph and the emulation of the virtues of the “Just One”.

If we men want to be chivalrous today we must do more than open doors for women and pay for lunch. Though good in themselves, courtesy and good manners are simply not enough. Something much deeper is called for. Indeed, it will require us to pursue a new course of life, a life that is watchful in prayer, avoids sin, pride and idleness. We must be high-minded in adversity, superior in courtesy, firm in manly honesty and fearless in self-sacrifice.

This is a high ideal to which few attain and I for one, most certainly have not. In fact I can think of only one man who actually reached it, Our Lord Jesus Christ. For who was more high-minded in adversity, more superior in courtesy, more firm in manly honesty and fearless in self-sacrifice than he as he hung upon the cross? Ladies: Do you see how only one in twelve men had the courage to witness it, let alone practice it? Guys: Do you see how holy women are drawn to it?

It may surprise you to learn that among the twelve rules of Chivalry there was no mention at all of women and the courtesy and honour due to them. At best, the only reference to women at all was rule #4 which stated “Search out widows and orphans in their necessity”. Courtesy is but the bloom of Chivalry, not its substance. Nevertheless, courtesy and honour of women was inculcated in the chivalrous man and as a result he was imbued with sentiments such as these:

“All one’s life one is bound to honour and serve them [women], and never speak to them but with the utmost courtesy. Who acts otherwise is a low fellow.”

“There is a kind of superiority which women should preserve over us, arising even from their weakness and the respect which it inspires. There is another kind which belongs to the dignity of man, which not only do women recognize, but for the abandonment of which they never pardon him.”

“Lost is all honour to him who does not render honour to women.”

But to answer the question posed by Jerry, although I have paid for many a lunches and opened plenty of doors, I cannot recall ever having performed even one single act of Chivalry. This is just one man’s opinion, but it’s mine.

--hide--
Thank you for offering this deeper meaning (of Chivalry) and what it really is. You have enlightened me. Perhaps the thread should have been more appropriately named "Common Courtesies and Manners" In this day and age the opposite is evident. (though as we've witnessed in this thread there are plenty of ALL ages who perform these Christian acts on a regular basis).Thanks again Michael for posting....and btw, WElCOME TO THE FORUMS!

May 16th 2013 new
I cannot tell you how many times I have been struggling with boxes or packages and men just walk on by -- so, no, it's not prevalent any longer -- sad, but true. Holding a door for a lady? HA! Better to slam it in your face. That said, I have had a few instances of polite gentlement, young and old, be courteous -- but the rudeness seems more prevalent. It's nice to read on here that there are some gentlemen left somewhere in the world. May ye go forth and multiply your numbers.
May 26th 2013 new
I was very proud of my oldest son Matt this past week. First of all, he can not stand hospitals, clinics, dentists doctor's offices etc. And yes his girlfriend had the distressing news of a cancerous growth. And was treated this last week. (still waiting to hear results) And yes many husbands would be there for their wives in a critical situation like this. But he took off of work the whole day to be with her through her ordeal...and her mom. I have to believe THIS is an act of chivalry. And she and her mom have spoken to me about how good he was/is~
May 26th 2013 new
I decided to go to the movie rental place near my house. I had ONE movie in mind. I thought it to be a long shot finding it but went anyway. As I arrived I saw the place was "slammed full" (an old Texas saying...or at least my friends in East Texas say it!) Crowded it was! I walked ahead of a couple but held the doors for them. I received a thank you from him....but didn't hear one from her. (didn't matter. wasn't looking for one) I knew right where to go. And found (1) one movie left. I had picked it off the shelf and here was that couple with one movie. She was looking at the empty slots and then looked at the last copy in my hands. She said, "Bill we are too late....he got the last one" I turned to her and said "No...here...you did" She was floored over this tiny gesture. "Are you sure?" she said. And then I responded, "Positive...enjoy." And then, "Thank you so much...we have been wanting to see this one bad" I wished them good day...and the husband thanked me while looking over his shoulder and rolled his eyes like I must have bailed him out of trouble!! Oh well...left empty handed but was glad to do it~
May 26th 2013 new
Great stories and no, chivalry, kindness and good manners still abound! biggrin I think the more we offer it, the more it will grow, from person to person. We have a large membership here on CM. If we all, twice per day, do something nice for someone, imagine the change that could take place. hug theheart
May 27th 2013 new
Michael, I cannot tell you how often I have come back to read these words. They are a beautiful and romantic and pure.Lost is all honour to him who does not render honour to women.How wonderfully appropo!
Jun 9th 2013 new
Hi Kathy,
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your comment but under CMs new site design I no longer see any notifications of responses to postings or atleast I dont know where to look lol. . .

Yes, this is a beautiful sentiment. These are not my words, I wish I could say they were. Do you see what effects Our Lady can have on the soul of a man? As Catholics we have charity towards all men because of the image of God in them and for His sake and not necessarily for the person themselves. Likewise, men ought to see an image of Our Lady in all women and treat them accordingly. It takes a woman to make a man and it requires a true devotion to Our Lady to make a man truly chivalrous.

Women are God's antidote to mans natural selfishness. When a man falls in love he no longer thinks about himself. A woman constantly reminds him that there is more in this world than just things, there are persons and a devotion to Our Lady constantly reminds him that there is a person inside this beautiful object otherwise known as a woman. The Don Juans of Hollywood are selfish men who objectify women, chivalrous men do not. This is why in my original post I said the chivalry as exemplified by Hollywood is the death of chivalry - "Not all that glitters is gold."

Chivalry is a call to holiness which probably explains why you women these days hardly ever see it. LOL! It is revealing to me that a man like St Francis of Assisi was drawn to chivalry before becoming a monk. It is revealing to me that one of the greatest Knights, St Louis IX King of France, was drawn to the Franciscan third order. Both men are saints and it would seem to me there is a great spiritual affinity between monastic and chivalrous souls.
Posts 151 - 160 of 188