Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jul 30th 2013 new
I have been musing on this topic because my experience is so positive and so different from the majority. Is there something in a woman's behavior that elicits this response or have I just experienced 43 years of extraordinary good luck? My brothers argue that if a woman acts like a lady, most people around her will automatically treat her as such. I'm not sure what that looks like, but I guess I must be doing it.

The men in my life are chivalrous: brothers, nephews, my son, and most random strangers. They open doors, carry parcels and in general look for ways to serve, and all do so without fuss or fanfare. This continues to be my experience, even though I work with high schoolers in an urban school district. In my time as a licensed driver, jumper cables have magically appeared, several tires have been changed for me and polite, friendly police officers have taken my sisters and me to a hotel when our suburban full of kids broke down.

Chivalry is part of the social contract that makes life a little more pleasant and gracious for all of us. Yay, chivalry and the men who practice it!
Jul 30th 2013 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: I have been musing on this topic because my experience is so positive and so different from the majority. Is there something in a woman's behavior that elicits this response or have I just experienced 43 years of extraordinary good luck? My brothers argue that if a woman acts like a lady, most people around her will automatically treat her as such. I'm not sure what that looks like, but I guess I must be doing it.

The men in my life are chivalrous: brothers, nephews, my son, and most random strangers. They open doors, carry parcels and in general look for ways to serve, and all do so without fuss or fanfare. This continues to be my experience, even though I work with high schoolers in an urban school district. In my time as a licensed driver, jumper cables have magically appeared, several tires have been changed for me and polite, friendly police officers have taken my sisters and me to a hotel when our suburban full of kids broke down.

Chivalry is part of the social contract that makes life a little more pleasant and gracious for all of us. Yay, chivalry and the men who practice it!
Hi Sam it is not just luck. I am a believer there are still great people out there willing to perform these random acts. And not just guys.
Just the other day a lady of perhaps 40 opened a door and stood there holding it for me as I walked up! I thanked her...and said "Hope you have a good day"
The other day I was with my sons and the older one opened a door for a lady before we entered a building.
Just this morning after a near disaster of knocking a lady over here at the offices (we rounded a corner at the same time) I was able to grab her shoulders to keep her from falling backward. Luckily this lady and I are friends (she runs a business down the hall) and she said, "Could we try that again?" laughing laughing Anyway don't know if that qualifies for anything but good reflexes (after that first cup of coffee!)
Jul 30th 2013 new
(quote) Beth-307699 said: I have to say that I'm amazingly spoiled when it comes to chivalry! I go to Spirit and Truth, a group for young adult Catholics to grow in their faith while meeting others the same age. Every time I go, I always have doors opened for me, and one of my guy friends even opens the car door for me! We are only friends, but it shows others that he cares enough to open doors even for his friends! And of course I always say thank you, so he knows I'm not taking the kindness for granted! :)
Good post Beth. Some guys "get it" while others don't....and still others need some "brushing up"
Like me with chairs. Funny, I can remember to open a car door...remember to open the restaurant doors...and even assist with a sweater or coat (coming and going) But I still need work on pulling the chair out embarassed Guess I'm thinking of the upcoming meal too much! laughing (getting better though)
Jul 30th 2013 new
laughing laughing laughing laughing
Jul 30th 2013 new
Well, I'm usually the one pulling out the chair, or we end up at a restaurant with booth seating. But the guys are good about letting the girls sit down first. I guess that gives us "choice" seating!! laughing laughing
Jul 30th 2013 new
(quote) Beth-307699 said: Well, I'm usually the one pulling out the chair, or we end up at a restaurant with booth seating. But the guys are good about letting the girls sit down first. I guess that gives us "choice" seating!!
Well "booths" are pretty easy....I let her choose first....and sit first! wink
Aug 1st 2013 new
(quote) Cara-868560 said:
Bahha this reminds me of school. I went to a Catholic university and you could always tell if someone was a seminarian because they were pretty much the only ones who would hold the doors open for the ladies. Now if only the other men would have followed suit...
If the rest of the men would follow suit you'd think, "What vocation crisis!?" laughing I was keaving a grocery store once and saw someone with the hood up. He needed a jump and was determined to give me $20. I told him to help the next person that needed it instead. I hope he did rosary
Aug 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: In MO most people still have basic manors but I see that slipping with the younger crowd.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY".. ANN!!
Posts 181 - 188 of 188