Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 28th 2013 new

Okay...I don't know if this qualifies but I'll tell the story anyway.
First of all, I have to confess the "little boy" in me takes over whenever I see one of those "claw" machines. (the machines loaded with stuffed animals and toys...and a large "chute". The object is to drag the minature crane over a toy and "drop" the claw down..to scoop it up. Then the crane is maneuvered over the chute so the PRIZE can be dropped and retrieved through a small door) I can beat them sometimes.
Yesterday a young mother and her little boy were standing in front of one and she had her hand over his little hand operating the machine. (little fellow could barely see the toys much less operate the claw!) She then said, "Travis...I'm sorry can't get one...and mommy's out of money" To this the little one replied with an "Ahhhhh!" and then started crying. She turned and faced me and rolled her eyes and conveyed the old "kids will be kids" thing. I smiled and said "Sit tight" And to him, "Travis can I try to get one of those for you?" He looked at mom like, "What's this old man doing playing this machine?" Mom then was nodding to him...so he nodded back. This machine...I've beaten before but I was praying today! It was 4 plays for a dollar. So I surveyed the furry landscape and moved the crane over. Oops! First time was a NO. I looked at him and said "I'll get something." So i tried for a different one this time. Got it! (ugly little creature) But the little boy's mom said "Look Travis!" I said "Wait, got two more tries." I dragged it over again. PAYDIRT! Another one. Last try was a nil. So I reached in retrieved them and said, "Okay...here you go" Which one do you want?" He took the lesser of the two uglys! The mom was really smiling now. And said, "What do you say?" To which the smiling Travis responded: "Fank you" So there I went with a creature that looked like a three-legged "smart car"!! Eessh! That one will be saved for someone's dog!

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay...I don't know if this qualifies but I'll tell the story anyway.First of all, I ...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

First of all, I have to confess the "little boy" in me takes over whenever I see one of those "claw" machines. (the machines loaded with stuffed animals and toys...and a large "chute". The object is to drag the minature crane over a toy and "drop" the claw down..to scoop it up. Then the crane is maneuvered over the chute so the PRIZE can be dropped and retrieved through a small door) I can beat them sometimes.
Yesterday a young mother and her little boy were standing in front of one and she had her hand over his little hand operating the machine. (little fellow could barely see the toys much less operate the claw!) She then said, "Travis...I'm sorry can't get one...and mommy's out of money" To this the little one replied with an "Ahhhhh!" and then started crying. She turned and faced me and rolled her eyes and conveyed the old "kids will be kids" thing. I smiled and said "Sit tight" And to him, "Travis can I try to get one of those for you?" He looked at mom like, "What's this old man doing playing this machine?" Mom then was nodding to him...so he nodded back. This machine...I've beaten before but I was praying today! It was 4 plays for a dollar. So I surveyed the furry landscape and moved the crane over. Oops! First time was a NO. I looked at him and said "I'll get something." So i tried for a different one this time. Got it! (ugly little creature) But the little boy's mom said "Look Travis!" I said "Wait, got two more tries." I dragged it over again. PAYDIRT! Another one. Last try was a nil. So I reached in retrieved them and said, "Okay...here you go" Which one do you want?" He took the lesser of the two uglys! The mom was really smiling now. And said, "What do you say?" To which the smiling Travis responded: "Fank you" So there I went with a creature that looked like a three-legged "smart car"!! Eessh! That one will be saved for someone's dog!

--hide--

Jerry you are such a sweet guy and are not fat by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for choosing to be the kind of man that you are. hug

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Jerry you are such a sweet guy and are not fat by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Jerry you are such a sweet guy and are not fat by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for choosing to be the kind of man that you are.

--hide--
Well thank you Shara smile I can't ever take the credit. I was raised by two of the finest people to walk this planet.
Hey....I WILL say I'm "jolly" though! laughing

Apr 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Shara-929649 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Hey Shara, gee your on the right page, because just maybe th...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Hey Shara, gee your on the right page, because just maybe there is a nice guy here from Spain and well, he could use his chivalry to get you those tomato seeds.

I am going to search for them,would love to eat one.

Here is some information about the tomato. Sorry to hijack your thread for a bit Jerry.

Kumato

Kumatoes

The Kumato is a trade name given to the variety of tomato developed in Spain called "Olmeca", which went by experimental number SX 387. It is grown in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, Turkey, Australia and Greece by specially selected growers.[1] The Kumato is a standard size variety of tomato weighing

between 80 and 120 grams. It is a green to reddish brown, and sweeter than typical tomatoes due to a higher fructose content.[2]

Unlike other tomato varieties, seeds cannot be purchased by the general public. Syngenta[3] has stated that they will never make Kumato seeds available to the general public as the Kumato tomato is grown under a concept known as a club variety, whereby Syngenta

sells seeds only to licensed growers that go through a rigorous selection process, and participation is by invitation only. Syngenta maintains ownership of the variety throughout the entire value chain from breeding to marketing, whereby selected growers must agree to follow specified cultivation protocols, and in addition pay a flat license fee per acre of greenhouse, the cost of the seed, in addition toroyalties based on the volume of tomatoes produced. Typically Syngenta licenses only one large vertically integrated greenhouse producer per country that has well established relationships with

grocery chains.

The introduction of Kumato into the marketplace has spurred the interest of both consumers and plant breeders alike.Dulcineahas, through a similar growing club concept, introduced the Rosso Bruno tomato, and Black Velvet from California Hybrids through the work of Dr. Kanti Rawal marking the first competitor to Kumato available to the general public.

As the Kumato is a hybrid, planted seeds will not grow plants identical to the parent.

Please note that maany people sell seeds and plants of bastardized brown and black tomato varities and claim that they are Kumatoes. The authentic seeds and plants are next to impossible to get as I found out from my very reputable nursery.

--hide--

This is very interesting, and yet to find out they are keeping all the seeds for theirselves. So, if by chance you get some chivalry, you might have to keep it a secret. shhh
Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay...I don't know if this qualifies but I'll tell the story anyway.First of all, I ...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing Most of the men I know have a bit of 'little boy' in them. Yours was just dying to come out and play with 'The Claw!"

You're probably a lot of fun at the county fair midway games too, huh? It's that competitive thing, isn't it? wink rolling eyes laughing

Seriously, it was really nice of you to help Travis and his Mom out. As you repeated earlier, it's just part of being ALERT! You saw the chance to do something nice, and you did it. Well done! hug

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Most of the men I know have a bit of 'little boy' in them. Yours was just dying t...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Most of the men I know have a bit of 'little boy' in them. Yours was just dying to come out and play with 'The Claw!"

You're probably a lot of fun at the county fair midway games too, huh? It's that competitive thing, isn't it?

Seriously, it was really nice of you to help Travis and his Mom out. As you repeated earlier, it's just part of being ALERT! You saw the chance to do something nice, and you did it. Well done!

--hide--
Well...thank you Mary. And for the hug I have to confess though....the fact that I was near the machine....meant I was tempted to play anyway.laughing
But yes....I did seize the opportunity to help the little guy out...and his young mom!

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Most of the men I know have a bit of 'little boy' in them. Yours was just dying t...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Most of the men I know have a bit of 'little boy' in them. Yours was just dying to come out and play with 'The Claw!"

You're probably a lot of fun at the county fair midway games too, huh? It's that competitive thing, isn't it?

Seriously, it was really nice of you to help Travis and his Mom out. As you repeated earlier, it's just part of being ALERT! You saw the chance to do something nice, and you did it. Well done!

--hide--
Gonna "hi-jack" my own thread here for a second. I have indeed played some of the games on the midway! I was once working in one of the display buildings at the State Fair. When my shift was up...a friend of mine (who was working with me) and I headed to the midway. A guy was yelling at us to come over to his "chance" game. He was pointing at a sign which said, "Your pick of prizes if you throw the ball through the tires" (something like that) So I took the football and the first pass goes through! My friend was like "YEAH! Take your pick!" (putting words in the guys mouth!) I looked at him and he nodded. I took the biggest "teddy bear" he had. My next 3 throws went spiraling through. THREE more bears! Couldn't miss that night. Pure luck. And the guy says, "Getting ready to shut it down gentlemen" (connotated: You're wiping me out!) So I took the 4 bears home to the Mrs. where I was greeted with, "My word!"

Apr 28th 2013 new
I work with 4 men and about 20 women, 2 of the guys at work are always chivalrous eg., if they see a woman carrying something heavy they take it off them. I do think we should always thank our men for their chivalry. I was out with a friend of mine last night, she told me that she regularly gets strangers calling to her door handing back umbrellas, she said her dad gives strangers umbrellas if they are walking by when when it starts to rain and he is doing her garden. I think this is so cute. She also told a story of how her dad was once late collecting her and it was because he had seen a car with flat looking tires in a drive. He called to the door and when it was an elderly lady living by herself he went and pumped the tires in the local garage. I hope there is a chivalrous guy out their for me :-)
Apr 28th 2013 new

rose I have two sons (24 & 31) and they were both raised to treat people the way they would want to be treated. Both my sons (Thank You Lord!) are courteous and helpful to anyone who needs help. They, also, open doors and hold them for anyone, older or younger, male or female. When they are with me and other women, they insist on walking on the outside - towards the curb. I didn't teach them that, but I appreciate it. It's just something I think they picked up on from each other or maybe from watching an old movie. They are very protective of me and of other women. One of them is married and he treats his wife the same. We had our times when Puberty hit!! duck They are gentlemen. God had to do it; I was a single Mom. theheart They are my Gifts from God. hug hug

Apr 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I don't have a Chivalry, I drive a Ford.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I don't have a Chivalry, I drive a Ford.

--hide--

Peter, don't you mean Feeord?
Posts 91 - 100 of 188