Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Ronnie-965963 said: Personal Opine on Death and last rites: Jesus can bring back any soul to physical life if God wills it, and l...
(Quote) Ronnie-965963 said:

Personal Opine on Death and last rites: Jesus can bring back any soul to physical life if God wills it, and last rites by a priest, a holy instrument, can be a window, no matter how long a person is clinically dead. Yes, thank God we have these wonderful servants as priests.

--hide--

i agree Ronnie. we tend to limit God. I even think ALL people --no matter their state---have a final opportunity to clearly make a choice for God.
Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Actually, I think the sacrament is called "Anointing of the Sick" and can be admin...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Actually, I think the sacrament is called "Anointing of the Sick" and can be administered to anyone who has a serious illness or injury. Per the catechism...

"The Anointing of the Sick "is not a sacrament for those only who are at the point of death. Hence, as soon as anyone of the faithful begins to be in danger of death from sickness or old age, the fitting time for him to receive this sacrament has certainly already arrived."130

If a sick person who received this anointing recovers his health, he can in the case of another grave illness receive this sacrament again. If during the same illness the person's condition becomes more serious, the sacrament may be repeated. It is fitting to receive the Anointing of the Sick just prior to a serious operation. The same holds for the elderly whose frailty becomes more pronounced."

Many parishes have regular services where they provide this sacrament to the sick and the elderly. I have heard that it is even appropriate if you are to receive a general anasthesia for a surgery or other medical procedure.

--hide--

Dan,

That is correct. I have heard of incidents of where the priests were upset with family members because the family members waited until death was iimminent before calling for the priest.

A priest related an incident to us where he had been serving in a hospital up in (ironically) Boston. He got the call to come up to the surgery room and as he walked in with his bag, the surgeons were all milling about looking pretty exhausted. One of them turned to him and said, "We did what we could, Padre. It's your turn." He said the moment his thumb touched the man's foot with the oil, the EKG monitor beeped (indicating a heartbeat); the heartbeat was restored, and they were able to save the man.

What was almost funny about it was that nobody thought it was a big deal, except for an intern who was watching the whole thing and who practically fell down when heard the machine beep.

Apr 28th 2013 new

I find it interesting that I was there and in the heart of the mayhem. I had military brothers and sisters COME there to help--and, no, the Cahtolic military priest did not come. It comes down to fear and choice. I wish that every person had someone to pray with them at the hour/minute that they are being received into heaven.

Apr 28th 2013 new

Fr. Mychal Judge comes to mind from 9-11 who died when the tower fell when he was giving last rites. I am happy to hear that they went to the hospital to administer the last rites though.

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: Fr. Mychal Judge comes to mind from 9-11 who died when the tower fell when he was giving last rit...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

Fr. Mychal Judge comes to mind from 9-11 who died when the tower fell when he was giving last rites. I am happy to hear that they went to the hospital to administer the last rites though.

--hide--

This story of Father Judge's demise is a myth that has been allowed to go on for almost twelve years too long.

Father Mychal Judge was not outside giving Last Rites when he died; to set foot outside of the WTC at that time would have been almost suicidal. People were falling everywhere.

There is a documentary called "9/11" that was put out by two French brothers who were filmmakers, Jules and Gedeon Naudet. These two men happened to be filming a documentary on the FDNY that morning in the nearby area when they caught the second plane hitting the World Trade Center on film. They joined the firemen as they rushed to the WTC and were with them as well as with FDNY Chaplain Father Judge in the lobby when Father Judge died of a heart attack. The scene is caught on this documentary.

There is more here: news.bbc.co.uk

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I find it interesting that I was there and in the heart of the mayhem. I had military brothers an...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said:

I find it interesting that I was there and in the heart of the mayhem. I had military brothers and sisters COME there to help--and, no, the Cahtolic military priest did not come. It comes down to fear and choice. I wish that every person had someone to pray with them at the hour/minute that they are being received into heaven.

--hide--

If they are all going to heaven, why would they need anybody to pray with them?

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: This story of Father Judge's demise is a myth that has been allowed to go on fo...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

This story of Father Judge's demise is a myth that has been allowed to go on for almost twelve years too long.

Father Mychal Judge was not outside giving Last Rites when he died; to set foot outside of the WTC at that time would have been almost suicidal. People were falling everywhere.

There is a documentary called "9/11" that was put out by two French brothers who were filmmakers, Jules and Gedeon Naudet. These two men happened to be filming a documentary on the FDNY that morning in the nearby area when they caught the second plane hitting the World Trade Center on film. They joined the firemen as they rushed to the WTC and were with them as well as with FDNY Chaplain Father Judge in the lobby when Father Judge died of a heart attack. The scene is caught on this documentary.

There is more here: news.bbc.co.uk

--hide--

Thank you, William for the info. May Fr. Judge rest in peace. You know what bugs me too whe I read that (now I know, inaccurate) article, was that these secular folks was "highlighting" that he has same sex attraction. I don't know and honestly, I do not care. It's just a sad state of the media. Anyway, thank you again for enlightening me about that.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: Thank you, William for the info. May Fr. Judge rest in peace. You know what bugs me ...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

Thank you, William for the info. May Fr. Judge rest in peace. You know what bugs me too whe I read that (now I know, inaccurate) article, was that these secular folks was "highlighting" that he has same sex attraction. I don't know and honestly, I do not care. It's just a sad state of the media. Anyway, thank you again for enlightening me about that.

--hide--

That same-sex attraction may be part of the motivation for the myth; it would make his death more heroic.

Whether he died of a heart attack or from a steel beam falling on him doesn't take anything away from the fact that he died in the line of duty as any of those other first responders did or that he died in the place where his work as a priest called him.

May 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: That same-sex attraction may be part of the motivation for the myth; it would make ...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

That same-sex attraction may be part of the motivation for the myth; it would make his death more heroic.

Whether he died of a heart attack or from a steel beam falling on him doesn't take anything away from the fact that he died in the line of duty as any of those other first responders did or that he died in the place where his work as a priest called him.

--hide--

Amen to that!

May 4th 2013 new

Not what happened exactly very suprised at Catholic Match members

Posts 21 - 30 of 34