Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Did everyone know that the little boy who was killed was a Catholic who had just recently had his First Communion? Better to die a martyr than destroyed by sin, even if it is a trajedy for the family. He was such a handsome little man i hear, that it could have been better for him than the trouble he could have gotten into down the line with being spoiled and and adored by his parents and the feminine current of no-faith that is presently being sent out into our society. Three Hail Mary's for the strength of the family to be happy to let God have their boy.

Apr 27 new

(Quote) Marie-358484 said: Did everyone know that the little boy who was killed was a Catholic who had just recently had his...
(Quote) Marie-358484 said:

Did everyone know that the little boy who was killed was a Catholic who had just recently had his First Communion? Better to die a martyr than destroyed by sin, even if it is a trajedy for the family. He was such a handsome little man i hear, that it could have been better for him than the trouble he could have gotten into down the line with being spoiled and and adored by his parents and the feminine current of no-faith that is presently being sent out into our society. Three Hail Mary's for the strength of the family to be happy to let God have their boy.

--hide--

In the Christian sense, a martyr is one who refuses to reject the Faith and suffers death as a result. In some cases very young children put to death because of their faith (or rather the faith of their parents), such as the Holy Innocents, are also considered martyrs even though they were not capable of making the explicit act of the will to not reject the faith.

To the best of my knowledge, the victims of the brothers Tsarnaev were targeting for political, not religious, reasons, and thus would not be considered religious martyrs.

Apr 27 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: In the Christian sense, a martyr is one who refuses to reject the Faith and suffers death...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

In the Christian sense, a martyr is one who refuses to reject the Faith and suffers death as a result. In some cases very young children put to death because of their faith (or rather the faith of their parents), such as the Holy Innocents, are also considered martyrs even though they were not capable of making the explicit act of the will to not reject the faith.

To the best of my knowledge, the victims of the brothers Tsarnaev were targeting for political, not religious, reasons, and thus would not be considered religious martyrs.

--hide--

I won't disagree with the conclusion that they were not martyrs.

I would disagree that the act of terrorism was merely for political reasons. It definitely had religious reasons underlying them. Allah Akbar, the 72 Virgins and all that rot.

Apr 27 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I won't disagree with the conclusion that they were not martyrs. I would disagree that ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I won't disagree with the conclusion that they were not martyrs.

I would disagree that the act of terrorism was merely for political reasons. It definitely had religious reasons underlying them. Allah Akbar, the 72 Virgins and all that rot.

--hide--

While the attack in Boston may have arisen from religious fanaticism, it took place at a secular event, so the targets were not chosen because of their religious beliefs. In fact, some may have been Muslim.

Apr 27 new

While I do not discredit the horror of this event, it is a theologically dangerous concept to say better the child had died young than to age and perhaps sin up a storm. We could then extend that same logic to all the aborted children, to babies who die young, et cetera. It is not a good mindset to have. It leads to a slippery slope of justification of glorifying some death over others, and in particuarly, offensive to that child's free will.

For all we know, he could have grown up to be the next Pope, a saint who shunned the world's evil.

Apr 27 new
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: While I do not discredit the horror of this event, it is a theologically dangerous concept to say better the ch...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

While I do not discredit the horror of this event, it is a theologically dangerous concept to say better the child had died young than to age and perhaps sin up a storm. We could then extend that same logic to all the aborted children, to babies who die young, et cetera. It is not a good mindset to have. It leads to a slippery slope of justification of glorifying some death over others, and in particuarly, offensive to that child's free will.

For all we know, he could have grown up to be the next Pope, a saint who shunned the world's evil.

--hide--
I completely agree with you, Naomi. The life God intended for that boy was cut short. Mother Teresa asked God why He didn't send a cure for cancer. God replied that He sent a doctor, but the baby was aborted.

Also, simply being randomly present at the wrong place/time does not constitute martyrdom.
Apr 28 new

My mistake, i thought that it was done because they were anti-Christian. i only see the television in passing at my school.

Apr 28 new

But aborted babies go to limbo, not heaven, that is why abortion is such an abomination since it takes the ability for an innocent to be able to know God. They are happy but not as happy as they would have had with the opportunity of a life. i've pulled 2 alive from the garbage cans behind 2 places of murder. One survived but will always be disabled, one did not for more than 3 mos. These, as well as all of those unborn babies murdered should have been given a chance to be adopted by parents who wanted them.

i didn't mean that it was good that he was murdered, only that at least he was just about as pure as possible so most likely went to heaven already, and may be considered a martyr by God. If they didn't do it for the faith, then it wasn't a blessing at all. Three Hail Mary's to help him into heaven.

Apr 28 new

[quote]Marie-358484 said:

But aborted babies go to limbo, not heaven, that is why abortion is such an abomination since it takes the ability for an innocent to be able to know God. They are happy but not as happy as they would have had with the opportunity of a life. i've pulled 2 alive from the garbage cans behind 2 places of murder. One survived but will always be disabled, one did not for more than 3 mos. These, as well as all of those unborn babies murdered should have been given a chance to be adopted by parents who wanted them.

Oh Marie, God love your innocence, and thank you for saving the babies out of the trash!. But if you check, you will find that the whole idea of limbo is not a part of the true Catholic faith. God has not created such a place. I don't know where the whole idea of limbo started, but it was a very popular idea for a very long time, but it is simply not true. There is much theology behind the thought that aborted children rest in the arms of the Lord. Check Humana Vitae for one source. Let's get our facts straight in the pro life fight. We fight enough misinformation from the other side--let's not add to the confusion within our own ranks. The loss of life, for whatever reason, is an abomination, because all human life is made in the image and likeness of God, and therefore, has innate dignity. Whether someone lost their life in an abortionists office, or a random street bombing is irrelevant. A life has been wrongly taken. The same tack can be taken at the other end of the spectrum; Just because Grandma is in extreme pain and her days on earth are numbered does not mean her life no longer has value! She remains a human being, with innate human dignity and no other person can call for her death, regardless of what caring kinds of words, like mercy and compassion, we put behind our motivations for easing her into the next life. Do you see how I've almost made killing Grandma sound like a noble thing to do? That is the kind of thinking our culture is embracing and why standing for life is so important.
Let me say this again: ALL human life has dignity and innate worth, regardless of whatever infirmity or cross any particular person might face. Usefulness and desire by another are false indicators of the value of a human being. Human beings have value only BECAUSE THEY ARE HUMAN!!! To begin thinking in any other terms--terms that our culture likes to use--is a recipe for the disaster which has led to legallized abortion and assisted suicide.

Again, keep up your good work, but don't forget to take the time to get some good formation behind your good works. God bless you

Apr 28 new

(Quote) Marie-358484 said: But aborted babies go to limbo, not heaven, that is why abortion is such an abomination since it ...
(Quote) Marie-358484 said:

i didn't mean that it was good that he was murdered, only that at least he was just about as pure as possible so most likely went to heaven already, and may be considered a martyr by God. If they didn't do it for the faith, then it wasn't a blessing at all. Three Hail Mary's to help him into heaven.

--hide--

Limbo is a theory proposed by some thologians. It is not now nor has it ever been a teaching of the Church. As a theory, it resolves some issues around Christ's saying that one must be baptized to be saved. The Church, howevr, teaches that we must rely on the grace and mercy of God.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11