Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Several years ago I went to a parish church in the county to the north to attend a TLM. I was surpr...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Several years ago I went to a parish church in the county to the north to attend a TLM. I was surprised that the parish had a sign outside of the chapel stating, "no miniskirts."

I was surprised by this, as the parish is also a tourist site, and between San Diego and Los Angeles. I had to decide whether I was in fact wearing a "miniskirt, and so not eligible to attend. In general, in So. CA, we are quite casual as far as dress code.

When I see people in more casual clothing at mass at my parish, usually it is evident that they are traveling.
--hide--

Apr 30th 2013 new

Oh My what is the world coming to when shopowners ask for modest dress on the premises that they own and operate. I live near Lake Huron shoreline in Michigan so I am very used to seeing the signs in the summer-no shirt,no shoes no bathing suits without cover-ups, I must say it does cut down on the eye pollution except if it is a handsome guy! Seriously though, this country was founding on religious freedom not the freedom to do whatever you want. A few years ago I was at the local park and did see a family where the ladies wore long dresses and looked nice,the little boys had caps on at first I thought they were Amish - I asked and found out they were orthodox hasidic Jewish persons on vacation in the area. I admired that they were able to live their beliefs and not care what others thought because people at the beach area were pointing and laughing.

May 1st 2013 new

I angered a patron of a shop where I worked. We had a dress code: No shoes, no shirt, no service.

His two daughters entered the store in bikinis, and I told him that I would not assist or clerk his purchase unless the girls put on some clothes.

He freaked out at me, saying that their dress was legal for the beach... etc.

I listened...reiterated... eventually he sent his daughters to the car. My boss thought it was hilarious.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think citizenship papers have pictures on them.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I don't think citizenship papers have pictures on them.

--hide--

This is not relevant to the thread, but just an FYI - yes, naturalization certificates have pictures on them, along with the person's signature.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Several years ago I went to a parish church in the county to the north to attend a TLM. I was surpr...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Several years ago I went to a parish church in the county to the north to attend a TLM. I was surprised that the parish had a sign outside of the chapel stating, "no miniskirts."

I was surprised by this, as the parish is also a tourist site, and between San Diego and Los Angeles. I had to decide whether I was in fact wearing a "miniskirt, and so not eligible to attend. In general, in So. CA, we are quite casual as far as dress code.

When I see people in more casual clothing at mass at my parish, usually it is evident that they are traveling.
--hide--

Jacqueline: I wish I could say that our masses in New York have properly dressed people. I know at the 5:00pm
on Sunday night, I can see that the girls put on shorts and a t shirt over their bathing suits. The shorts are quite short.
They just look inappropriate for Mass.

Then I think to myself, well at least they are coming to Mass. Now a days they don't think to dress properly for Mass.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I angered a patron of a shop where I worked. We had a dress code: No shoes, no shirt, no servic...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I angered a patron of a shop where I worked. We had a dress code: No shoes, no shirt, no service.

His two daughters entered the store in bikinis, and I told him that I would not assist or clerk his purchase unless the girls put on some clothes.

He freaked out at me, saying that their dress was legal for the beach... etc.

I listened...reiterated... eventually he sent his daughters to the car. My boss thought it was hilarious.

--hide--

Chelsea: I am surprised that you did that when a sale was involved. I would just have said something to the guy
about his daughters for next time. That is good that your boss was OK with it, and that is brave of you to do it.

I don't like to police unless it is really necessary. People get upset by being told what to do.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: This is not relevant to the thread, but just an FYI - yes, naturalization certificates hav...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

This is not relevant to the thread, but just an FYI - yes, naturalization certificates have pictures on them, along with the person's signature.

--hide--

Lisa: Thanks for the info. I am surprised they have pictures on them because one keeps those papers for the rest
of their lives and faces really change.

Well, it is always good to learn things. You never know when you may have to use that info.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Chelsea: I am surprised that you did that when a sale was involved. I would just have ...

Chelsea: I am surprised that you did that when a sale was involved. I would just have said something to the guy
about his daughters for next time. That is good that your boss was OK with it, and that is brave of you to do it.

I don't like to police unless it is really necessary. People get upset by being told what to do.

--hide--

We had the dress-code posted...and my boss had held MANY meetings reiterating that we, as clerks and shop assistants, retained the liberty to refuse service to anyone who violated state law or store policy, whether the policy was conventional or manifestly posted. The fact is, this business establishment, like most, is private property...and therefore the owner dictates policy. I was under contract to do her bidding, not to capitulate to offensive customers.

I am not claiming that this father and his two practically naked daughters were deliberately flouting the posted dress-code, but he was a little TOO ready to bite my head off when I brought the policy and my position to his attention.

On top of that, we had had so many violators of the dress-code that very day. It DID get unpleasant telling people that store policy demands a specific attire...but the policy has absolutely NO meaning unless it is enforced...so I was enforcing it.

I did consult my boss on the matter and she supported my decision fully.

May 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/dressing_down_jews_NdWHsRBy97EF15b8wo8SLK<...

www.nypost.com

I was so surprised by this story. It was on the news also. It seems that Jewish shopowners are being sued
in a lawsuit by the City of New York for posting a dress code for patrons of the store. It should be noted that
so far, no one was denied access to the stores.

The sign states:

Dresscode for Store

No shorts

No Bare Feet

No Sleeveless

No Low Cut Neckline

Allowed in this store

The sign is also written in Spanish.

This seems so strange because lots of restaurants in New York have dress codes. Also, as they said in the article,
in pizza stores they have dress codes too.

The City is trying to show that first of all, this discriminates against women only. Which does not seem true.

And the article says that the store is abiding by the orthodox Jewish dress code for all patrons.

I wonder why the City is proceeding with this lawsuit, especially since no one was refused admittance to the store yet.
They may be picking on Jews. But then, the mayor is Jewish.

There are plenty of dresscodes posted on stores, especially in beach towns, like no bathing suits or bare feet allowed
in store.

Hasn't everyone seen signs like these?

--hide--

Hi Marianne et alia,

I don't specifically remember seeing them here in Chicago. You mentioned that Jewish shop owners are being sued. I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but this suggests to me that these are Hasidic Jews, probably in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn. Very roughly, Hasidism is to Judaism as Wahhabism is to Islam. My guess is that neither sect would appreciate this comparison.

Unless one was a crystal meth user, it is hard to imagine anyone walking around a big city wtih bare feet.

James ☺

May 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Marianne et alia,I don't specifically remember seeing them here in ...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Marianne et alia,

I don't specifically remember seeing them here in Chicago. You mentioned that Jewish shop owners are being sued. I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but this suggests to me that these are Hasidic Jews, probably in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn. Very roughly, Hasidism is to Judaism as Wahhabism is to Islam. My guess is that neither sect would appreciate this comparison.

Unless one was a crystal meth user, it is hard to imagine anyone walking around a big city wtih bare feet.

James ☺

--hide--

Don't you have dress codes to get into nightclubs or upscale restaurants there. In NYC, there are plenty of places that one
cannot eat in with sneakers on and Men have to have a dinner jacket also in those restaurants.

That is why prosecuting the Jewish shopowner is a bit odd. Why would dress code be allowed in some businesses and
not in others?

Posts 11 - 20 of 23