Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: Hi John, Thanks for the food for thought and the tip about posting (I'll need some help with how to...
(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: Hi John, Thanks for the food for thought and the tip about posting (I'll need some help with how to post it the way you advised...) I doubt I have fallen prey to propaganda ( I do not even own a TV.) Again, I think comments like this imply a person cannot come to their conclusions other than falsly. I whole heartedly believe that well intended and well informed people can differ in their conclusions and that this is a strength of a healthy democracy. One area I am curious about is why the bishops do not include the death penalty in their list of non negotiables?
--hide--

At the bottom right of every post there are three choices. "Reply" "Reply and Quote" "Reply and Quote All"

When yiou reply to a specific note that requires context for your note to be understood, just click on "Reply and Quote"

The person's note to which you are replying appears in your note space. You can start typing your note either before the first or last [quite]; best to put a space between your reply and the Quote.

If you only want to comment on one idea expressed you can edit the contents between the two [quote]'s leaving only the idea you wish to reply to.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: Hi John, Thanks for the food for thought and the tip about posting (I'll need some help with how to...
(Quote) Sandra-969674 said: Hi John, Thanks for the food for thought and the tip about posting (I'll need some help with how to post it the way you advised...) I doubt I have fallen prey to propaganda ( I do not even own a TV.) Again, I think comments like this imply a person cannot come to their conclusions other than falsly. I whole heartedly believe that well intended and well informed people can differ in their conclusions and that this is a strength of a healthy democracy. One area I am curious about is why the bishops do not include the death penalty in their list of non negotiables?
--hide--

When you reply to a post, your options are "reply," "Reply & Quote," and "Reply & Quote All." If you use the either of the last two, the previous post (or more in the case of the last one) will be included. The included quote will start with the word "quote" in [] (I'm not actually typing it that way to avoid confusing the computer). It will end with the word "/quote" also in []. Just make sure you start typing after the /quote (by default you should start there).

I brought up the issue of propaganda because some of your comments appeared to be completely in line with well know points of Democrat propaganda. It is of course possible that you could have come to your conclusions on some other route, but the way you phrased some of your statements does beg the question. The possession or watching of TV isn't really an important point one way or another.

Specifically your repeated implications (and statements) that Republicans do not care/help the poor or disadvantaged is, at best, a mistake. I would suggest to you that one of the reasons that, to use your quote, "In my circles, those who have dedicated their lives to serving the poor, you don't find many Republicans" is precisely because Republicans do not enjoy being in circles where everyone assumes as a matter of course that said Republicans are morally inferior. After all, how many circles do you run in where your beliefs and actions are ridiculed?

Bringing up the issue of propaganda was not an attempt to put down your ability to come to correct conclusions. It was an attempt to assume that your mischaracterization of Republican/conservative attitudes was innocent, not malicious.

Likewise your dismissal of Democratic support of the legalization of abortion (...legislating which doesn't end abortion but criminalizes it) was more in line with a political talking point than an intellectual discussion. Obviously you might have a deeper line of reasoning. However, this being a Catholic site it is certainly worth noting that the Church is completely in support of criminalizing abortion. So even if I agreed with your point in a religion-free context, I really don't see how that helps you in a Catholic one.

Paul has already pointed out why the bishops take the stand they do vis-a-vis the death penalty.

Posts 71 - 72 of 72