Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hi Elizabeth,I am with you on this one. It does not bother me if anyone greets me when I ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Hi Elizabeth,
I am with you on this one. It does not bother me if anyone greets me when I go to a new parish. I am not there to be greeted. I am there to be with Jesus. I see lots of people at my old parish who looked pretty "bothered to be there" during mass at my old parish. I am convinced that what you bring to the Mass and the church itself is what you will recieve in return. I have had some protestant friends that left the Church for that reason alone. That they weren't being greeted and that the priest did not seem "happy". they also said they were 'bummed out' that there was no 'fellowship' i.e. coffee and donuts after Mass. So they went to Calvary Chapel... Very sad to me, that people go to Mass expecting rather than to 'give' and be grateful.

--hide--

This makes me think of my parish. The people crow about how beautiful the church building is and how great the music is and how welcoming the people are. While all of this is true, at least to an extent, it is very rare to see anyone doing something like praying before Mass because everyone is too busy socializing. While the music is entertaining, it is often exactly that, entertaining, and it distracts from the Mass. During the announcements at the end of Mass, people are often introduced and applauded as though you are at a show. And a fairly high percentage of people leave before the priest and before the final hymn is complete. Of course, even if you wait till the final hymn is complete, the band waits a few seconds and then starts playing music again so that they are playing music as you leave the church. Today, my friend and I stopped to pray before we left after morning Mass. I noticed that we were the only ones...in a church that holds nearly 2000 people.

This is not the Mass as I know it. Not only do people not participate, but there is a lack of reverence and understanding as to what is going on. It's kind of sad, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: This makes me think of my parish. The people crow about how beautiful the church building is...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

This makes me think of my parish. The people crow about how beautiful the church building is and how great the music is and how welcoming the people are. While all of this is true, at least to an extent, it is very rare to see anyone doing something like praying before Mass because everyone is too busy socializing. While the music is entertaining, it is often exactly that, entertaining, and it distracts from the Mass. During the announcements at the end of Mass, people are often introduced and applauded as though you are at a show. And a fairly high percentage of people leave before the priest and before the final hymn is complete. Of course, even if you wait till the final hymn is complete, the band waits a few seconds and then starts playing music again so that they are playing music as you leave the church. Today, my friend and I stopped to pray before we left after morning Mass. I noticed that we were the only ones...in a church that holds nearly 2000 people.

This is not the Mass as I know it. Not only do people not participate, but there is a lack of reverence and understanding as to what is going on. It's kind of sad, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

--hide--

I can not judge if people are lacking reverence or understanding as to what is going on but I would rather believe they are interacting with the Jesus in others.

Our priest at the parish I attend and active in makes the point once a month to remind people that mass begins right before the first note of music begins till the last word is sung. I would suggest that you ask the priest to remind people that the talking should be done outside of the church, and make some kind of polite but direct statement about the importance of the parts of the mass. I even make more of an effort to be able to attend the whole mass and only leave very rairly now. Some times we need to be reminded of what the mass parts are and the importance of being at the beginning and to the end.

Hope this helps.

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Lois-880877 said: Today I went to the local Catholic Church. It was a beautifu l modern church. Everything looked pe...
(Quote) Lois-880877 said:

Today I went to the local Catholic Church. It was a beautifu l modern church. Everything looked perfect. So why did I not feel right here? No one welcomed me to the church. I smiled and tried to strike up conversations but no takers. The service seemed like it had been rehersed down to the letter. The Priest played a very small part in the entire ceremony. He didn't even look happy to be there.

Luckily there is another Catholic Church within driving distance I am planning on trying next week. It may be a little farther away but I hope it is a much better fit.

Has anyone else ever felt like this when trying out a church?

--hide--
Lois, I, too, felt this way when I moved to my current church 15+ years ago. Overs the years, the people in this Midwest parish have become more open, but only somewhat. I have gotten so that I worship in a more joyful, open manner than most around me. I respond to every interaction toward me -- sometimes I even reach out.

"Catholic" means universal. We are the Mystical Body of Christ. Catholics, I don't know when, grew more conservative in their interactions and forgot that Mass is a communal experience. By the way, I grew up in the 1960s and remember when their was a "woman's side of the church" and a "man's side" in my home parish in North Dakota.

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I can not judge if people are lacking reverence or understanding as to what is ...
(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said:

I can not judge if people are lacking reverence or understanding as to what is going on but I would rather believe they are interacting with the Jesus in others.

Our priest at the parish I attend and active in makes the point once a month to remind people that mass begins right before the first note of music begins till the last word is sung. I would suggest that you ask the priest to remind people that the talking should be done outside of the church, and make some kind of polite but direct statement about the importance of the parts of the mass. I even make more of an effort to be able to attend the whole mass and only leave very rairly now. Some times we need to be reminded of what the mass parts are and the importance of being at the beginning and to the end.

Hope this helps.

--hide--

The Mass actually ends when the Priest pronounces the words of dismissal and the people respond.

Common courtesy demands and dictates that people should wait until the Priest has left (processed out) the main part of the church.

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I can not judge if people are lacking reverence or understanding as to what is going on but ...
(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said:

Hope this helps.

--hide--

I wish the priests at our parish would speak up about conduct during Mass, but it is rare if it ever happens. Once one of the priests (not the pastor) gave a final blessing during the homily, saying that way all the people who left early would not have to miss the final blessing. It was a clever way to get the point across, but I don't think it changed very many people's behavior. Last weekend the gospel was about loving each other and our pastor brought up how we should help those who have been involved in recent tragedies. He explicitely talked about the shootings in Newtown, the bombings in Boston and the explosion in West, TX, but just like the Main Stream Media he said nothing about Kermit Gosnell and the tragedy of his abortuary. To me its kind of sad. I think that many priests are so afraid of upsetting people that they will not address certain topics. Our culture is crumbling around us and we are afraid to even talk about the real issues that are affecting us.

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: I wish the priests at our parish would speak up about conduct during Mass, but it is rare i...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

I wish the priests at our parish would speak up about conduct during Mass, but it is rare if it ever happens. Once one of the priests (not the pastor) gave a final blessing during the homily, saying that way all the people who left early would not have to miss the final blessing. It was a clever way to get the point across, but I don't think it changed very many people's behavior. Last weekend the gospel was about loving each other and our pastor brought up how we should help those who have been involved in recent tragedies. He explicitely talked about the shootings in Newtown, the bombings in Boston and the explosion in West, TX, but just like the Main Stream Media he said nothing about Kermit Gosnell and the tragedy of his abortuary. To me its kind of sad. I think that many priests are so afraid of upsetting people that they will not address certain topics. Our culture is crumbling around us and we are afraid to even talk about the real issues that are affecting us.

--hide--
I kinda wish that our priests were a little bit more militant ( in a sense)

Apr 29 new
(Quote) Dan-28682 said: This makes me think of my parish. The people crow about how beautiful the church building is and how grea...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

--hide--

In many churches it is impossible to pray before the Mass because there is too much banter. Unfortunately, your parish is not the only one of the kind.
Apr 29 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: In many churches it is impossible to pray before the Mass because there is too much banter. Unfor...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

In many churches it is impossible to pray before the Mass because there is too much banter. Unfortunately, your parish is not the only one of the kind.
--hide--
Our church we do the rosary before Sunday Mass and it gives a right mind set before Mass

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Fred-828727 said: Our church we do the rosary before Sunday Mass and it gives a right mind set before Mass
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

Our church we do the rosary before Sunday Mass and it gives a right mind set before Mass

--hide--

My church has a bit of a problem with the pre-mass chatter as well.....I think I'll take Fred's example and try to collect a half-dozen to pray the Rosary before mass.

I came to my local Catholic church a bit more than a year ago, and immediately volunteered for choir, lector, usher and general fix-it guy. I'm busier than I wanted to be but I sure have met a lot of folks, and more people know me than I've had time to meet. Every church needs volunteers, and I guarantee you'll be loved!

Apr 29 new

scratchchin I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have known that feeling, also. One thing I did was just walk right up to the Priest, shook his hand, introduced myself and that opened the door, at least with him. I agree that finding some way to volunteer will help you to meet people absolutely. Also, when you introduce yourself to the Priest, don't be afraid to just ask what is going on. Although the Church Bulletin will have things, or should have, that are happening. It is difficult at first, but everything is in the beginning. Take a deep breathe and MARCH! God will help you. We are all the Body of Christ. Good Luck & Prayers for you. Praying hug

Posts 11 - 20 of 63