Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I dislike the Church being treated as some kind of dating agency. Yes, in days gone by singles wo...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I dislike the Church being treated as some kind of dating agency. Yes, in days gone by singles would meet other singles through friends and family and end up marrying. I don't think the Church should be doing more to set up singles, what I think it should be doing is teaching the Truth of the Church and how to apply that to single living.

It is not enough to organise a "singles' night" if it just ends up being no better than some random secular event; that should not be the purpose of the Church proper.

I also think that a lot of people whinge too much about what the Church isnt' doing for them as an individual. They should whinge about what the Church is not doing for society. People need to stop being so self-centred. Nothing stopping a single person having a chat with other people after Mass on a Sunday. Or organising something themselves and using the Parish newsletter to promote.

There are catholics in real life and on this site who think fornication, contraception, abortion, redefinning marriage to accomodate same sex couples and co-habitation are okay. Let's start with teh Church addressing those issues instead of facilitating events that brings these people together.

Uh, then let me ask you, then if not at the church then where? A bar? Work? Nobody is saying they want a "singles night" like a secular night, but we don't live in the 1930's anymore, it's 2013.

Maybe you need to stop being so judgmental. You have a right to your opinion but I have to say I cringe every time I see one of your posts.
I've not seen you write anything that was not either annoying or some kind of put down.

Whatever.

--hide--

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: A suggestion to those who feel a particular group is being ignored -- volunteer to start a...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

A suggestion to those who feel a particular group is being ignored -- volunteer to start a program. That doesn't necessarily involve running it -- just assembling a particular group to see if there is enough interest, then to find a leader for that group. Our own parish offers several programs and activities for youthful Catholics; we have visits (including Communion) to the hospitalized and homebound -- also phone calls to those on a sick-list; a bereavement program, and sessions for divorced/separated Catholics. Not all of them are full-time, year-round programs but they are helpful to those who find themselves in a particular situation described above.

--hide--

I think Ray has a fantastic answer to what is indeed an issue. Those of us whom, for whatever reason, are single, with the exception of single mothers, probably have more free time to do two things; start groups that are aimed at the more disenfranchised members of the congregaton, and provide service where service is needed and in accordance with whatever gifts God has given us. In fact, when thinking about why God has allowed us to be single we should consider that he may be giving us an opportunity to serve. This Sunday's homily, Monsignor pointed out that St Paul said it is necessary to suffer adversity in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven. He also pointed out that others adversities gave us the opportunity to serve mankind, which was also necessary for the development of our souls. And returning to single mothers who need all the help they can get, I ask other singles to consider what they could do to help them; men, could you mentor? women could you babysit? Could you offer a casserole once a week to a harried mother? Those that are single can join to help each other in service exchanges; I need my sink fixed, if you need your buttons sewed, etc. Being single in a married congregation can be an opportunity, not just a disadvantage.

Apr 29th 2013 new
Does this really work? Answer me please?
Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: The church treats Catholic male singles differently than Catholic female singles.... ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

The church treats Catholic male singles differently than Catholic female singles.... there is a little start to the question....

--hide--
Really? Since when? I (never) noticed That the catholic (church( "treats" male singles any diferently than female singles; Not from where i'am from; maybe other churches but not here! Mike "Peace"!!

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think the difference lies in whether you are under 40 (or, can pass for under 40).In my...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I think the difference lies in whether you are under 40 (or, can pass for under 40).

In my experience, single people over 40/45 are completely ignored. How many times do you hear a sermon about "family", "loved ones", "children" and "spouse" and you look around and the congregation is all 45+ and sitting alone? Sometimes I want to stand up and yell, "Dude! Look at your audience!!"

I'm glad you haven't see a problem, Patrick, but I fear you may if you are still single 15 years from now.

--hide--
"Dude"? Marge? I do agree with everything your sayin; (but come on) "Dude" I thnk a little respect for the priest or whoever is talking / homily (sermon) etc. Mike "Peace"!!

Apr 29th 2013 new
(Quote) Mike-646924 said: "Dude"? Marge? I do agree with everything your sayin; (but come on) "Dude" I thnk ...
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

"Dude"? Marge? I do agree with everything your sayin; (but come on) "Dude" I thnk a little respect for the priest or whoever is talking / homily (sermon) etc. Mike "Peace"!!

--hide--

Mike, not sure if you've noticed, but the female persuasion are not "dudes." We are "dudettes." laughing
Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I think that if women are single, they are not seen as potentially a priest. They may be ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I think that if women are single, they are not seen as potentially a priest. They may be forgotten sooner if they remain single, whereas the young man may be seen as discerning a vocation.... This is just an impression and not exactly an opinion.
I did not bring it up because I think women should be priests or anything but I think that women are given less validation as singles in society at large. As for the Church- I would have to consider and reconsider what I said. It could be changing right now since Pope Francis recently announced he is going to hire women in the Vatican according to one report on the forums. It could be that some shifts in society will change things....again.

--hide--

While women can't be priest, they can become religious sisters.

Have you actually witnessed these behaviors on a widespread basis, or is this purely speculation or based on what you've observed with a very small number of singles who may have either explicitly expressed interest in a vocation or shown some evidence of having one?

Also keep in ming that any individual attention paid to those who may have a religious vocation is most likely motivated by the individual showing interest, not a global policy of "the Church".

Apr 29th 2013 new
Within the Catholic Church, the goal is to have life in Christ. You can either do most fully in married or religious life mainly because you HAVE to be in community. Being single doesn't mean you have to participate in that community as you are free to come as you wish. Being single, you are bound by nothing if you choose. The "singles ministry" in the Catholic Church is the religious life. But the most wonderful thing about the Catholic Church is that is is where the Church is grounded in. You can still be part of whatever interests you in the Catholic church, but find a "catholic" single's ministry in your christian cousins. There are excellent singles bible study groups to participate in and stay within the church community.
Apr 29th 2013 new

I'll grant you that point. OTOH, he should have enough respect for the congregation to take a look at them and tailor his remarks to his audience.

(We have a local priest who stares at the ceiling throughout Mass except when he's reading. Never, ever, ever has made eye contact with any of us in the pews.)

Apr 29th 2013 new

I confess I'm not very involved in my church for a variety of reasons...travel being the main. Plus I've only really "returned" the past few months. Anyway when I made a ong overdue) confession a few months ago , the priest ( who really only knows me by sight) said something like...yes, you single people are the most ignored here. He is pretty progressive so perhaps I could (as has been suggested here) get something going. We will see. Once my life "settles down" a bit ! God bless

Posts 21 - 30 of 66