Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Jim -- looks like you need to change your answers from 6/7 to 5/7.
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Jim -- looks like you need to change your answers from 6/7 to 5/7.

--hide--
Let's not be too hard on Jim. His feelings aren't uncommon. We might find certain teachings difficult to believe and follow, but we accept what is and what cannot be changed, and act accordingly.

Essentially, our personal opinions don't count -- the Church is not a democratic institution -- by necessity. We can have opinions about certain matters, but if we don't act on them or encourage others to do so in an act of rebellion, there is no wrongdoing.

I would hope that establishing this topic as an infallible doctrine matter, people will better understand the Church's position, and the reasoning behind it. Wishing otherwise won't make it so.

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-461057 said: I am a Catholic "revert". I left the Church many years ago partly because I objected to ...
(Quote) Joan-461057 said:

I am a Catholic "revert". I left the Church many years ago partly because I objected to the lesser (and it is lesser, not just different) role of women in the Church. I was not convinced then as now that Christ, who was inclusive of women at a time when it was unheard of, truly intended women to be less than equal.
But the time came when I realized that I needed to be back in the Church. Since I had a dual upbringing with both the RC and Anglican Churches, it would have been easy to simply be Episcopalian where all my objections were a non-issue. But God told me I needed to belong to His Church. Coming back mean subjecting my will and my beliefs to that of the Church. The laws of the Church are what they are. In order to live my faith I had to give up my own opinions and resentments and be subject to the will of God, or at least what the Church tells me is the will of God.
There are not going to be women priests, no matter what I think about that, and birth control is never going to be OK, and pre-marital sex is still a sin. Those things are not convenient or practical in today's society, but they are the laws of the Church. I think part of being Catholic is the struggle to bow your head and accept those laws no matter how personally difficult they are. "Thy Will Be Done" is not easy, or convenient or practical. But it is necessary for the soul to accept God's Will over our own.

--hide--

Throughout its history it has never been convenient or practical to be a real Catholic.

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Brigitta-923334 said:AMEN NAOMI AMEN!!! Very well said. It's not sexist at all to accept what Christ instituted all...
(Quote) Brigitta-923334 said:AMEN NAOMI AMEN!!! Very well said.
It's not sexist at all to accept what Christ instituted all those years ago. Women have their important roles and places, as do men.
--hide--

Exactly, it's roles designed based on biology. In the same way I can not bear children even if I'd want to, I can't!! The male is the giver of the gift, and the female receives the gift openly, and returns the love back to the male. We see this in the sacrament of marriage, as well as the relationship of Christ and HIS Church, HIS bride.

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-461057 said: Those things are not convenient or practical in today's society, but they are the laws of the ...
(Quote) Joan-461057 said:

Those things are not convenient or practical in today's society, but they are the laws of the Church. I think part of being Catholic is the struggle to bow your head and accept those laws no matter how personally difficult they are. "Thy Will Be Done" is not easy, or convenient or practical. But it is necessary for the soul to accept God's Will over our own.

--hide--

You're right they are not practical, but God given truthes don't have to be practical. They are God given truths because God knows and understand what's best for us, and that doesn't change through the ages.

Apr 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Steven-706921 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: So, they have left the Roman Catholic Church, and have star...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

So, they have left the Roman Catholic Church, and have started their own. They are no longer Roman Catholic, under the Pope.

They have turned their backs in defiance on the Church.

It is best not to attend their church, it's not in the eyes of the Holy See.

I guess now there is another denomination started.

The Ecclesial Community of the Cheap Polyester Vestments.

The Episcopal Church might want to sue, since they're there first, and do it worse. This is their "presiding bishop!"

badvestments.blogspot.com

--hide--

Thanks for that blogspot. It is so weird to look at this woman dressed up in all of her attire. It was interesting reading the comments, one said she looked more like the Wicked Witch of the West!

It brings to caution myself when I go visiting another Catholic Church, that I first have to ask , " Am I in the right church?"

There is nothing sacred or holy about any of this.
Apr 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-woman-ordained-priest-defiance-roman-catholic-church-005633378.html
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

news.yahoo.com

Help me answer my friends who think this is a great thing, please.

So far they have posted:
1. Good for her. Follow your bliss, people.
2. Actually, many religions are catholic, and are Catholic in their proper names. The word means "universal." If Rosemarie Smead has indeed been ordained as a Roman Catholic priest, it is unprecedented as the Roman Catholic church has, to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, not ordained a woman as a priest before. I am not sure what basic tenets she rejects, but surely those subjecting women to inferior status would have to be one of them.
3. According to the article, she still identifies as Catholic. Clearly, the group is a splinter group, and not sanctioned by the mainstream powers that be, but presumably they still follow many practices. They have emerged from the Catholic tradition, and are taking it in a new direction even as they continue to identify themselves with that tradition. It's not my label. Cathy and others (dissdots esp) wasn't there another group a few years back who did a similar ordination?? I seem to remember that there was, but I don't recall any details. I'm a curious bystander, not a Catholic or former Catholic.
4. and, keep in mind that the "tenets" of the faith were all decided solely by men, as if God doesn't speak to women at all.

--hide--

I pray to St.Therese of Avila. Just to think that this woman was a Carmelite nun! What has happened this these nuns, who liberalized theirselves, put on pompous attire, and stand firm in creating their own congregation, a church? A club, a seniority of some kind?

I pray to St. Therese of Avila, who started the Carmelite Order, in all of her holiness, she would of never went to this degree of defiance, shame, and irreverence to God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

St. Therese yet was a woman, a nun, who in her time was a liberating one, would not consider this pompous position. For in her humility and obedience to God, she knew better. She knows God.

I know many of you have read the life of St.Therese, and when you study her, you will find how holiness came to her. She has a intimate relationship with God. She never once lived a life of richness,

pompous positions were for the hypocrites. She never ate a three course fancy meal, nor did she wear shoes. They ate plain meals, and grew their food from the earth.

This in itself would be a good comparison of the two. The Carmelites back in her time and her liberating positions to today, compared to the Carmelite nuns who have taken a liberating position,the difference I think could be astounding.

St.Therese of Avila pray for us.
Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Your opinion is based on dodgey intel. There is no shortage of priests or nuns. T...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Your opinion is based on dodgey intel.

There is no shortage of priests or nuns. The vocation in most danger is marriage.

The Church has stood for 2000 years. A few women wanting to play dress up isn't going to collaspe the Truth, but that doesn't mean we sit idly by and do nothing but smirk. In all liklihood this current Western society will be in the dust in 50 years. It will be the Catholic Church and Her beautiful, Christ given Traditions that pulls it out. It will be done with obidence to God, not women feeling all "emotional" about holding a piece of bread over their head and pretend they're turning it into Jesus.

Women priests are a demonic heresy, and we should never be affraid to call out such blasphemy when we see it.

--hide--
I have No Comment (at this time) But "Respect Your opinions" (alway's) Mike "Peace"!!

Apr 30th 2013 new
I am not in favor of having women priests.Absolutely against it.

But why does the church allow altar girls????--This has puzzled me. Was it those who want to change the church pushing the envelope as far as they can?????
Apr 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: I am not in favor of having women priests.Absolutely against it. But why does the church allow altar...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: I am not in favor of having women priests.Absolutely against it.

But why does the church allow altar girls????--This has puzzled me. Was it those who want to change the church pushing the envelope as far as they can?????
--hide--

Gee, I am not really sure how this started, Could there have been a shortage of altar boys?
Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Gee, I am not really sure how this started, Could there have been a shortage of altar boys?
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Gee, I am not really sure how this started, Could there have been a shortage of altar boys?
--hide--

No, it was part of the woman's rights movement of that era.

Some people had an interesting point.. women priests = bad, girl altar servers = okay ? I confess myself confused...

Posts 51 - 60 of 157