Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 30 new

(Quote) Tom-112790 said: I am not in favor of having women priests.Absolutely against it. But why does the church allow alt...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: I am not in favor of having women priests.Absolutely against it.

But why does the church allow altar girls????--This has puzzled me. Was it those who want to change the church pushing the envelope as far as they can?????
--hide--

I'm sure there are a number of factors at play there. Certainly there are those who want to push the envelope. Others simply want to see greater participation by the laity in the Mass. By the same token you have the laity doing the first two readings with only the Gospel reserved for those who are ordained.

The alter serevers (regardless of sex) aren't doing anything that is reserved for those of clerical status, so it's really not that problematic. The over-use of EM seems to me to be a much more serious stretching (and there are those who would say breaking) of the rules.

Apr 30 new

(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: No, it was part of the woman's rights movement of that era. Some people ha...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

No, it was part of the woman's rights movement of that era.

Some people had an interesting point.. women priests = bad, girl altar servers = okay ? I confess myself confused...

--hide--

What I find ridiculous about this whole donne chierichetto (i.e., female altar servers, lit. little female clerics) deal is the transvestitism. As if their presence isn't an affront to the office of the priest making the original sacrifice of Our Lord present again on the altar...we have to dress them like the little clerics they can never be. Talk about mixed signals!

Apr 30 new
Female priests won't happen. If a woman wants to be a cleric, why not become a Protestant pastor?
Apr 30 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Gee, I am not really sure how this started, Could there have been a shortage of altar boys?
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Gee, I am not really sure how this started, Could there have been a shortage of altar boys?
--hide--

we have a shortage of priests as well
Apr 30 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Female priests won't happen. If a woman wants to be a cleric, why not become a Protestant pasto...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Female priests won't happen. If a woman wants to be a cleric, why not become a Protestant pastor?
--hide--

There's no doubt it won't happen. It's impossible.

My point is that girls and women dressing as clerics is ridiculous.

fieldofdreams2010.files.wordpress.com

4.bp.blogspot.com

www.olv-parish.org

www.blessed-sacrament.ca

sthelenvb.weconnect.com

I'm sure Gramma Feminista things they're "cho chweet" and super cute and all...but that doesn't remove the objective ridiculosity of females in clerical garb.

May 01 new

As my Uncle Fr.Ignatius S.J. said, "you can't ordain a fence post" .Ordaining anything other than a qualified man is impossible.

May 01 new

(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: No, it was part of the woman's rights movement of that era. Some people ha...

Some people had an interesting point.. women priests = bad, girl altar servers = okay ? I confess myself confused...

--hide--

I don't get how people can link the two. I was a an altar server, and in case anyone missed my previous posts, I'm thoroughly against women priests.

As an altar server I knew that only men could be priests, and if I wanted to be religious it would be the nunnery.

There's some argument that having girls woudl put off boys and prevent them from wanting to do it. I never saw that and I was a senior server, and there were more boys anyway.

If people are so worried, how about having the girls and boys do seperate services.

I mean really, what did Christ say, suffer not the little children. Children includes girls. There really isn't any problem with girl servers. I found it a way to participate in the Mass, to assist the priest and to serve God. Its the adult mind and its misunderstood concepts of social justice and gender equality that both seeks to corrupt these children with nonsense ideas of female priests and to place the argument of girl servers = women priests.

May 01 new

I was unable to be an altar girl when I was that age, because of the ruling but I wanted to. Never wanted to be a priest though. My daughters were all altar servers and none of them want to be priests. Their garb is not clerical in the same sense as the priest but does represent that they have a specific task to perform in the liturgy and thus sets them apart from the rest of the congregation. My son was also an altar server.

May 01 new

--hide--
There's a huge difference in the roles they play. Altar servers do just that -- be of service to the priest. He has been ordained, and is the only one present who can perform the act of consecreation.

May 01 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: There's a huge difference in the roles they play. Altar servers do just that -- be of service t...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

There's a huge difference in the roles they play. Altar servers do just that -- be of service to the priest. He has been ordained, and is the only one present who can perform the act of consecreation.

--hide--
Ummm - that should read "consecration". embarassed

Posts 61 - 70 of 157