Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

May 1st 2013 new

I feel like the "terms of endearment" depends on each couple & just come out gradually in the relationship for each couple. In my few serious relationships I was in, the special names just came out over time w/ a lot of humor between us. It's up to the female to tell her special friend if she likes the "pet" name or not, just to keep in mind. :)

May 1st 2013 new

Funny because I just read this below in a blog before I saw this thread....

"It's hard to be a woman. You must think like a man...act like a lady...look like a young girl...and work like a horse!" laughing scratchchin

May 1st 2013 new
(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Barbara - I've always liked this one too! Carol - I have to agree about th...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Barbara - I've always liked this one too!

Carol - I have to agree about the 'Baby' part. Pet names can be endearing in their time and place. However, at least for me, at my age - I'm not identifying so much with "Baby" as much as the basic ones like Honey, Dear, etc.

I've explained the 'jealous' part to many of my male friends and relatives during some really great "He thinks / She thinks" discussions. When a woman looks at a couple and sees how attentive the man is behaving towards the lady - in a respectful and honorable way - we notice and appreciate that! We think "What a great guy - I want someone to treat ME like that." They don't have to constantly be doting on us or stick to our side the entire evening - just check in to be sure we're ok when we're out socializing with others.

I also love when the gent I am with is also chivalrous towards the other ladies with us - it makes me that much more appreciative of being his special lady. When I'm secure with how he feels about me, and he's already seen to my comfort and safety - I am touched by his kindness towards other women - offering to get them a drink while he is getting ours, holding the door or chair for them as well, giving up his seat for them if there is not enough to go around, etc. (Being gracious / common sense / good manners.) None of that is done in a sexually flirtatious way, it's simply paying attention to what is going on around us. (Altho sometimes it can be misinterpreted - but that's a whole 'nother thread. )

Men - it's been said that if we want to see how a man will treat his wife - to watch how he treats his mother, sisters, daughters, aunts, nieces, other female relatives. In my experience - that has always held true.

I also believe that ladies should return the above behavior in kind, that men deserve to be treated just as well by their woman, to have us behave in ways that make them feel secure in the relationship as well.

--hide--

You have some great descriptions of a gentleman, Barbara...a gentleman to all while still being special. And yes, your last paragraph about how we should treat men. We should always be a lady, courteous and polite especially to our husband; he should know he is the one and only--highly respected, honored and deeply loved.
May 1st 2013 new

Great post, Barbara! clap thumbsup

On the issue of the use of the term Baby, it depends how it is used and by whom. As a term of endearment between sweethearts, it has its place. Just think of how many songs have the words "Baby" in them - the list is endless and for a lot of them, the lyrics are not offensive at all.

If Baby is used by someone who is not well known to a woman or in an obviously demeaning manner it can be condescending. And people who are condescending usually have an agenda - they want to insult someone, or take them down a peg or two. So, that's not the same intent as when a loving husband calls his wife by that term. Personally, I also prefer Honey or Dear, but if my future husband were to play a song with the word Baby in it and dedicate it to me, I wouldn't object.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Barbara - I've always liked this one too! Carol - I have to agree about the &#...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Barbara - I've always liked this one too!

Carol - I have to agree about the 'Baby' part. Pet names can be endearing in their time and place. However, at least for me, at my age - I'm not identifying so much with "Baby" as much as the basic ones like Honey, Dear, etc.

--hide--

Amen to all of the above! Well said

May 1st 2013 new

Men deserve the same.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: Barbara, I like this quote a lot. But I somehow don't especially like being call...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Barbara, I like this quote a lot. But I somehow don't especially like being called "baby". I don't mind, Babe, Honey, Sweetie...

I've found a lot of similar quotes on various quotation sites on Pinterest--all very pertinent to what we as women desire in a relationship. Easy to get hooked on perusing those boards, let me tell you!

--hide--

I agree. "Baby" can sound a little minimizing to the woman. But if both like it, no biggie. I wonder if a man would like it if his wife/girlfriend called him "her little boy." laughing

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: No insecurities. maybe I could appreciate the term. Quite frankly I can't think of anyone i date...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: No insecurities. maybe I could appreciate the term. Quite frankly I can't think of anyone i dated calling me that or something similar. (Babe, honey, etc)
--hide--

Not at the very beginning, Elizabeth. I wouldn't mind the endearing terms after a relationship has truly developed. If a man started calling me "honey" when we're just getting to know each other, I would look at him askance! eyebrow

May 1st 2013 new

I love this as well and share it everytime it comes around on my Facebook :-).

May 1st 2013 new

I kind of had to smile about all the objections to baby. I love endearments, speak to me in endearments and you might be a curmudgeon I'm going to have a soft spot for you. I use them a lot, babe, hon, sweetie, etc.They call them Laurenisms in my department lol. I think it is partly a southern thing. I didn't count up everyone who objected to baby so it is not a statistically relevant statement, but I've found its a very southern thing to do and most people I know here who object were not born and raised in the South.

Petey called me sweetpea, babe, baby, honey. He called our girls doll baby and baby girl. To this day they love that, my youngest especially likes baby girl.

Besides when they make you mad, it is so satisfying to say: "Oh honey don't you dare 'baby' me" :-)

It can also come in handy, when you draw a blank on someone's name, lol. . .

Posts 21 - 30 of 60