Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

May 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Albert-964084 said: Hi Wendy, It seems that you know what you believe in and that you are secure in you...
(Quote) Albert-964084 said:

Hi Wendy, It seems that you know what you believe in and that you are secure in your faith. This is a good thing and I hope it comes from your own reflection on what it means to be catholic and not solely from what you have been told or heard. Undoubtedly what you have been told varies widely among the 1 billion catholics on earth, if there is a fallacy I have to believe that it is "a very narrow path to heaven". If there are not many paths then you must keep your faith very strong for the odds that only your path is the right path will make your heaven a very solitary one. To interpret words to a deep understanding within your soul is a very personal journey and only God knows wether this will lead us to heaven. In other words, we all interpret the Bible our way. Attending church and being catholic is vital to establishing a moral and ethical value system to live our lives through the example of jesus Christ but only a fool takes the word of another protestant or catholic as if it could be the word of God. We are of the Judeo/Christian tradition, and our word for God is "Yahweh", a ancient word which translates loosely into that whose name cannot be spoken or understood. As humans we are full of contradictions (even priests) so we must guide ourselves through this life and can only hope to do the right thing some of the time. Look at those comments that you see as contradictions and realize that they are simply the coherent statements of a man who believes that others can guide you in the wrong direction so you have to make your path and follow your heart because the holy spirit speaks through people and through you but only trust whats in your heart. If you don't, that is when you are vulnerable. When you pretend to know and lead people down the wrong path because you know the "truth", then you cease to do God's work and give the Devil the day off.

--hide--

"if there is a fallacy I have to believe that it is "a very narrow path to heaven". If there are not many paths then you must keep your faith very strong for the odds that only your path is the right path will make your heaven a very solitary one."

It's not "my" path Albert: Matthew 7:13-14

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few."

God's words, not mine. He's letting us know how it is, it's our choice on whether we want to heed His advice or not. Sadly, there will be eternal consequences if we don't.

May 13th 2013 new

I find it very hard to believe that the words presented in the Bible, the holy inspired word of God, in any translation, stated clearly are open to personal interpretation. What could be more explicit than this in 1 Thess 4:3-8 "This is the will of God, your holiness: that you refrain from immorality, that each of you know how to acquire a wife for himself in holiness and honor, not in lustful passion as do the Gentiles who do not know God.....For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness. Therefore, whoever disregards this, disregards not a human being but God, who gives his holy Spirit to you."

Perhaps you are personally interpreting the meaning of impurity, immorality or lustful passion. What about seeing that this "is the will of God"?

What about Galatians 5:16-21? By the way, I am using the St. Joseph Edition of The New American Bible. "I say, then: live by the Spirit and you will certainly not gratify the desire of the flesh. For the flesh has desires against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you may not do what you want....Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, licentiousness....I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Can any words or any admonition be plainer than these?

May 18th 2013 new
Hi, Please do not misunderstand me when I try to speak to you of faith as something that is in your heart as if it were somehow contrary to what is in scripture or the books of the Bible. It is not in many cases open to interpretation because evil is not something that is born in faith or in the heart. However, to highlight words in english from books that were written in ancient languages and interpreted many times by humans to be the clear and exact words of our creator is not the intention of the Bible nor it is the intention of our church. God only speaks to humans through prayer not in verbatim interpretations of scripture. I do not mean nor intend to test your faith but the opposite, trust in God and God will lead you to heaven, but if you trust solely in others then you may be led astray. Nothing is clear when it comes to who will be judged by God and accepted into his kingdom to anyone of us here on earth. The true test of your faith comes when you realize that you alone are responsible to make sure that you prepare yourself. If you feel that books written in english can do that for you then that is what you have chosen for yourself. Do not read too carefully, especially the old testament as you may find the inherent conflicts and hipocrises difficult to explain away and you may also find yourself beholden to the traditions of the Jewish Temple more than those of the Catholic Church.

May 18th 2013 new
Hi, Please do not misunderstand me when I try to speak to you of faith as something that is in your heart as if it were somehow contrary to what is in scripture or the books of the Bible. It is not in many cases open to interpretation because evil is not something that is born in faith or in the heart. However, to highlight words in english from books that were written in ancient languages and interpreted many times by humans to be the clear and exact words of our creator is not the intention of the Bible nor it is the intention of our church. God only speaks to humans through prayer not in verbatim interpretations of scripture. I do not mean nor intend to test your faith but the opposite, trust in God and God will lead you to heaven, but if you trust solely in others then you may be led astray. Nothing is clear when it comes to who will be judged by God and accepted into his kingdom to anyone of us here on earth. The true test of your faith comes when you realize that you alone are responsible to make sure that you prepare yourself. If you feel that books written in english can do that for you then that is what you have chosen for yourself. Do not read too carefully, especially the old testament as you may find the inherent conflicts and hipocrises difficult to explain away and you may also find yourself beholden to the traditions of the Jewish Temple more than those of the Catholic Church.

May 18th 2013 new
Your answer was well written and it is good to see that you have thought about faith in ways that make your faith strong in you. This is the faith that must exist within your heart and that is what will guide you to prepare yourself for the kingdom of God. It is of that very faith that I speak but it is the bedrock that you must rely on to get you there, not the quotes that men say are attributed directly to God. Our faith is based on the very real assumption that only God truly knows God and that what his purposes and intentions are for us cannot be understood by us and so he gives us prayer and faith, not english words in a collection of books written by humans.

Yes I believe that there are very important books in the Bible that recount the history of Jesus and the foundation on which he built his church through Peter. Yes I believe in the holy Roman Catholic church and in how it has taught me and represents my faith and my beliefs, but no I don't believe that many of our Popes have been infallible. Many have had illegitimate children, waged wars and defended the church through killing and subjugating people. Our history is full of examples of ruthless and powerful men who were neither Pius nor Holy in intention or deed. I dearly love our current Pope and as many am a devoted believer in JP II, but am not blindly beholden to the word of our Pope as though it were the word of God.

You spoke of what i also believe, that there are eternal consequences for our intentions and deeds here on earth, as I also believe in repentance and forgiveness as god is truly merciful and not the God that would condemn but a very few of his children to damnation. That is the God of the old testament, the god of the Jews. But if you truly depend on a book or a person to tell you how that narrow path is defined then you may well have to face those consequences yourself. Merely following the words written in St. Josephs Bible does not absolve you from consequences for your own deeds and intentions. Be vigilant and help those in need to find their own faith in their hearts and you may help some reach heaven but breathe fire and brimstone to all those who do not believe as you do and risk those very consequences. There are 1 billion members of the catholic church around the world and if you were paying attention at the convocation of cardinals, the views of those 1 billion are greatly divergent and changing every day. It is not the devil that owns that change but the church itself. If we are to be true to all of our traditions than let it be well understood that the words you quoted to me are not in Latin and therefore not what the church considered at one time to be "the word of God".
May 18th 2013 new
Albert, the original books were not written in Latin either, but in Aramaic and Greek, Latin translations came later.
May 18th 2013 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Albert, the original books were not written in Latin either, but in Aramaic and Greek, Latin translations came later.
Exactly Lauren. Also Albert we are yet to see the quotes of the doctors of the Church that led you to conclude the things you believe. I think that you need to quote the sources to support your view point if you want credence going forward. These are bold and wild statements with NOTHING to support them.
May 18th 2013 new
Albert, I am praying for the Holy Spirit to open your eyes, ears, heart & spirit to accept the true meaning of the scriptures as they are written for our edification.
May 18th 2013 new
(quote) Albert-964084 said: I would love to get feedback on how to get more involved with this site.
I have been unable to get girls to write back and engage in conversations. Not withstanding that many may not like the way I look, getting no responses in writing (many emoticons, no actual messages) is making the experience on catholic match a disappointing one. Any suggestions or is there a proper protocol that must be observed?
Albert,

I have the same problem. Lots of stuck up women here. :-) <I don't really feel that way, just the impression I get....>

May 18th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-780154 said: Albert,

I have the same problem. Lots of stuck up women here. :-) <I don't really feel that way, just the impression I get....>

Ladies: it would be nice if you would at least give us gentlemen who contact you a response, either way, so that we may know we can remove you from consideration. I would rather know outright that you aren't interested, than to have to guess. Don't mind being given a reason, but don't need one.
Posts 161 - 170 of 179