Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

May 3rd 2013 new

Well, I brought up DC and she shrieked! lol. "I don't want to learn anything on vacation! It's supposed to be a vacation!"

I talked her out of the Atlantis idea because of the price, and the fact that we can probably take two trips instead of just one for that price. She decided she wants to go to Disney World or whatever is in Orlando to the Harry Potter park. I had solemly sworn that I would never submit myself to the torture of Disney theme parks, but I guess if it makes her happy.

Thank you all for the suggestions! When I was growing up, my parents always took us to a historical site, and also had activities for us kids. I loved our vacations, and managed to learn a lot. Not so with my daughter lol. Oh well!

May 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: A few years ago, a friend of mine brought her then too big for her britches 12 yr. old d...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

A few years ago, a friend of mine brought her then too big for her britches 12 yr. old daughter to DC. I took them to some of the lesser visited Smithsonian museums and an Ethiopian restaurant. She seemed thorougly bored until we overheard her on the phone that night with her friend talking excitedly about being in DC and the things she saw. So, keep DC on your radar. If you go in the fall, most of the tourists are gone; and, as bonus, you will be only 90 minutes from some of the best fall scenery around: www.flickr.com Plus, most DC attractions are free.

--hide--

I will remember the suggestion of the city with lots of free activities! Thank you!

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-962589 said: Well, I brought up DC and she shrieked! lol. "I don't want to learn anything on vacation!...
(Quote) Lisa-962589 said:

Well, I brought up DC and she shrieked! lol. "I don't want to learn anything on vacation! It's supposed to be a vacation!"

I talked her out of the Atlantis idea because of the price, and the fact that we can probably take two trips instead of just one for that price. She decided she wants to go to Disney World or whatever is in Orlando to the Harry Potter park. I had solemly sworn that I would never submit myself to the torture of Disney theme parks, but I guess if it makes her happy.

Thank you all for the suggestions! When I was growing up, my parents always took us to a historical site, and also had activities for us kids. I loved our vacations, and managed to learn a lot. Not so with my daughter lol. Oh well!

--hide--

never submit myself to the torture of Disney theme parks

Normally, I would ditto this comment; however, I was there in January during Disney Marathon weekend and it wasn't bad. The weather was great and the parks semi-empty. We usually just walked right on the rides. There was only one ride we had any sort of wait for. So, If you go go in the Fall, it may not be too bad since the summer tourist hordes have gone home. Disney was the first thing to come to mind when I read your post but I figured you had already been there since you live in FL. I think Harry Potter is at whatever the other park is called because I don't remember seeing any Harry Potter rides at Disney.

May 5th 2013 new

Epcot is surprisingly educational.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: ....we overheard her on the phone that night with her friend talking excitedly
(Quote) Steve-650539 said: ....we overheard her on the phone that night with her friend talking excitedly
--hide--
This is a terrific point. They will NOT admit that they are enjoying the trip or getting anything out of it.

I dragged 2 highschoolers all over Williamsburg, DC, and the Virginia battlefields. They acted bored the whole time.

Then they returned to school. The elder one came home and told me about her American History class. "The teacher talked about xxxx and xxxx and I thought, I've been there, and there, and there and ---" eyepopping "Did you take us there on purpose????"

May 5th 2013 new

I love Disney and always have. I too assumed that living in Florida that you had already been there. We go a few times a year to Disneyland, and I always have fun. When we go, we always pack a picnic lunch and bring snacks and an empty water bottle to fill at the water fountains to save money.

This is going to sound crazy, but look at the annual passes, depending on how long you plan to go. When I was in college a half a lifetime ago, I know that the number of times you had to go to the park to break even on the pass wasn't that many. I looked it up quickly and you can get an annual pass for Florida Residents, good only on weekdays for $211. (considering its normally more than $80 per day it's a good deal) You can go to any of the parks and even go between them during the day. You can also make monthly payments to spread out the cost. Once the pass is paid for, you might even be able to sneak another trip in before the pass expires. Just watch the black-out dates. Also with an annual pass, you get discounts on food and merchandise. Not a huge discount, but a discount is a discount.

When you are looking into hotels, keep in mind the cost of parking, so look for a hotel that has a free shuttle. If you decide to stay on the property, some of the hotels give you early admission to the parks.

Harry Potter is at Universal Studios. If you go there, also look at the FL resident discounts.

May 6th 2013 new

Hello Lisa:

A couple of years ago I went with my son, then 10 years old to Club Med in Cancun, Mexico. It' s an all inclusive resort. They have plenty of activities for children, they have a group for the 11 to 17 year olds and take them snorkeling, swimmig, etc.

Every night there is a show and one of the nights the show is prepared by the kids. They have a lot of fun and the best part is that you get to rest and enjoy. Being an all inclusive the only thing you pay out of pocket are local trips: the pyramids, towns, etc.

Think of yourself too and have fun.

Posts 11 - 17 of 17