Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Peter! You kind sir have inadvertently won the heart of any mother by foc...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Hi Peter!

You kind sir have inadvertently won the heart of any mother by focusing on what is most important: looking both ways in traffic! I also agree that the Eiffel Tower seems a bit touristy...mais non c'est important, c'est la Tour Eiffel! However I will take your words to heart and if there is not time...then the Tower gets cut. If I had my druthers I'd do Lourdes and Rome...but that trip was a little $$ than I was willing to commit at this time.

I am pleased to note that tha Parisians compensate for proper lane usage with deranged driving...it'll feel like home. Are they still mad at us about...you know...everything?

I think the CMers consensus is definitely the Catacombs. I will have to do that! Thanks so much Peter from Stockholm!

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--
You are most welcome!

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Damien-722411 said: Leyden .... When your in london you must check-out the museums here.As a Londoner we have...
(Quote) Damien-722411 said:

Leyden ....

When your in london you must check-out the museums here.As a Londoner we have some of the best museums in the world from the national history museum to Charles dickens museum ect most of the Museums here are free to enter
Oh this web site will help it`s where i go to see what is coming up in London www.londontown.com.

GOD BLESS .....

--hide--

Dear good soul,

Yes! A Londoner has spoken! I thank you exceedingly for your recommendations. I'm sorry....but Chuck has his own museum??? There is justice in the world!! I will endeavor to make that a part of my itinerary. So how about places to eat? Because I am afraid that I have been getting mixed reviews about English cooking. (How can that be??? Two words: Nigella. Lawson.) Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, Damien

In Christ,

Leyden

May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Damien-722411 said: Leyden ...One more thing When in Paris if you driving make sure you have a breathalyser ...
(Quote) Damien-722411 said:

Leyden ...
One more thing
When in Paris if you driving make sure you have a breathalyser kit in the car as its the law in France to have one in the car even if you don`t drink ..

--hide--

REALLY?? Parisian are so fascinating. So, is one supposed to self-admister? And self-report? What about self-preservation? (from Parisian jails?)

May 9th 2013 new
Hi Leyden, Doesn't look like anyone's yet suggested Piccadilly Circus and Leicester (pronounced "leister") Square in London--especially when lit up at night, Rue du Bac in Paris--where both Saint Catherine Laboure and Saint Vincent de Paul are buried and where St. Catherine received the Miraculous Medal--or the Sistine Chapel in Rome--a must-see. In Rome I'd also recommend hiking up to the Cupola in St. Peter's for a great view, and walking over to have some coffee/tea at the top of the Spanish Steps to watch the street oainters at work...and while en route, stopping in to the little known Chiesa del Gesu, thr mother church of the Society of Jesus (a.k.a. the Jesuits) to admire the incredible ceiling art (they even have a big mirror in the central aisle to help appreciate it more. Have a great time, -guillermo guiller.net
May 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Doesn't look like anyone's yet suggested Piccadilly Circus and Leicester (pronounced "...
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Doesn't look like anyone's yet suggested Piccadilly Circus and Leicester (pronounced "leister") Square in London--especially when lit up at night, Rue du Bac in Paris--where both Saint Catherine Laboure and Saint Vincent de Paul are buried and where St. Catherine received the Miraculous Medal--or the Sistine Chapel in Rome--a must-see. In Rome I'd also recommend hiking up to the Cupola in St. Peter's for a great view, and walking over to have some coffee/tea at the top of the Spanish Steps to watch the street oainters at work...and while en route, stopping in to the little known Chiesa del Gesu, thr mother church of the Society of Jesus (a.k.a. the Jesuits) to admire the incredible ceiling art (they even have a big mirror in the central aisle to help appreciate it more. Have a great time, -guillermo guiller.net
--hide--
painters, not "oainters". :)
May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Doesn't look like anyone's yet suggested Piccadilly Circus and Leicester (pronoun...
(Quote) Guillermo-766684 said: Hi Leyden, Doesn't look like anyone's yet suggested Piccadilly Circus and Leicester (pronounced "leister") Square in London--especially when lit up at night, Rue du Bac in Paris--where both Saint Catherine Laboure and Saint Vincent de Paul are buried and where St. Catherine received the Miraculous Medal--or the Sistine Chapel in Rome--a must-see. In Rome I'd also recommend hiking up to the Cupola in St. Peter's for a great view, and walking over to have some coffee/tea at the top of the Spanish Steps to watch the street oainters at work...and while en route, stopping in to the little known Chiesa del Gesu, thr mother church of the Society of Jesus (a.k.a. the Jesuits) to admire the incredible ceiling art (they even have a big mirror in the central aisle to help appreciate it more. Have a great time, -guillermo guiller.net
--hide--

Hi Guillermo!

I checked out your pics on your site....they are so amazing! It looks like you had a incredible time! Thank you for so much for your suggestions, good soul! May I say you are also the only one to suggest a little hike! I love hiking! I"m also planning a hiking trip in Spain in 2014, have you ever been??

In Christ,

Leyden

May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Chandra-941191 said: Hi Leyden! I am SURE you will enjoy your sojourn to the max! I took myself to EU for 5 weeks su...
(Quote) Chandra-941191 said:

Hi Leyden! I am SURE you will enjoy your sojourn to the max! I took myself to EU for 5 weeks summer before last--had never been before--just wandered aound, met folks, etc. very fun! i did DE--Frankfurt, Trier, Deusseldorf, Koln--and Paris, Amsterdam, etc. I see you plan Paris? I took myself for 5 days and I would recommend looking into the Oceania Hotels. I found one in Paris to be most welcoming to Americans and convenient to transportation; plus moderately priced. The interior courtyard grounds were beautiful, pool, restaurant, etc. and the rooms super clean & well appointed. Mine had a nice window that opened up to the Eiffel Tower, so I could view their fireworks at night. Sidewalk cafe's everywhere! very nice. The subways are clean (and they don't smell bad like NYC!) and well laid out, super easy to figure out, with main lines running directly into the city center--Champs E. etc.
Another fun & practical hotel solution is Air BnB. I use them in NYC, etc. have you ever tried Air?
Best of luck on your adventure! Chandra :)

--hide--
Off topic a wee bit, but we want to say "Welcome" to the Cm forums, Chandra!!! We hope you will join us often. Your sister and brother Catholics share a lot here -- wisdom, knowledge, humor and a lot more. Also -- it's a good place to get acquainted with others.

Secondly, a blessed and joyous birthday to you!!! Enjoy your special day and we hope you have many more..... wave cookie Happy Birthday! hug

May 10th 2013 new

Leyden, I loved Rome and here is my favorite hotel in Rome - www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it

May 10th 2013 new

Hi Leyden,

I agree with everyone who recommended the London walking tours, I took a few of them and they were great. I went for about 10 days and didn't see everything! I would recommend an open-air bus tour (the red buses) because you can see a lot of the sights (Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, etc) in a short amount of time. Someone also recommended Evensong at Westminster Abbey -- if you go to a service there you don't have to pay to get in (although I don't think you can see the graves). Also, if at all possible, go to St. Paul's Cathedral, it was one of my favorite sites in London. The Eye is a little pricey but very cool. And if you go see changing of the guard at Buckingham, there's a complex sort of across the street where the guards drill and prepare to march to Buckingham, you can see them closer up there and see the whole process (the London residents on this site can probably describe this much better than me (; And as others have recommended, the Underground is a good and fairly cheap way to get around. And as others have said, make sure to look both ways at crosswalks (I think they say, "Look right.")

I'm jealous you get to see Rome and Paris; I've never been. Have fun!!!

May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Tell everyone you're Canadian. You'll be treated a lot nicer.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Tell everyone you're Canadian. You'll be treated a lot nicer.

--hide--

Wise words from a guy with a great name! Even the US government recommends this, or at least they used to! laughing
Just remember you have to be polite to pass for a Canadian, which I'm sure will be no problem for you Leyden :)

Posts 31 - 40 of 78