Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 13th 2013 new

I went to Rome 5 years ago. We rented an apartment that let us come and go as we pleased. It was close to the Vatican so that was great. The Vatican is a must see, the heart of the church. There are many churches to see with awesome art. To eat there are many local restaurants where the food is very fresh. If I could, I would go back in a nano second.

Marian

May 13th 2013 new

Hi Layden,

Just to add a few things when in Rome: it will be hot and muggy, so definitely plan on getting out early and go loose and cumfy with the clothing (no dark outfits and no polyester) and plan a siesta out of the sun for a few hours in the afternoons. You should definitely get out after 8pm and stay up 'til 2am... then up at 5! Definitely see the Catacombs and the Sistine Chapel and also just march up like a Yankee doodle and insist on seeing Francis. He's not in the papal residence but an apartment. Who needs an audience with him? Just tell the personal secretary that one of his sheep wants to see what the shepherd smells like. I suggest you wear no perfume :) You will get bonus points when he finds out you are an American bearing a John Wayne Cowboy hat willing to teach him a few words of English (like "Howdy partner!"), it will come in handy when he visits Stateside. Whaaat, I am serious! Tell him that he has to wear the hat when he shows up!!!

May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Irma-941426 said: If you plan to take the lift up Eiffel Tower, you could reduce waiting time by taking the...
(Quote) Irma-941426 said:

If you plan to take the lift up Eiffel Tower, you could reduce waiting time by taking the stairs first from the ground to the first 'floor', then queue to take the lift to the next section up, the queue here is shorter. If you prefer not paying, take the metro to 'Trocadero' and follow signs for Eiffel Tower, the view from there is amazing. Have fun!

--hide--

Dear Irma,

That's a great idea!! And kinda sneaky! I love it. Will do! I think I see folks have the custom of saying "welcome to the forums!" I love your picture, you have a lovely smile!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: I've not been to London, Paris, or Rome. Just a little jealous! I've always wanted to see ...
(Quote) John-132457 said:

I've not been to London, Paris, or Rome. Just a little jealous! I've always wanted to see England and maybe search out old Catholic sites. Also, in London, I'd like to visit Tyburn, where so many martyrs died.

www.tyburnconvent.org.uk

--hide--

Dear good soul,

No need for jealousy! If we can hold each other in prayer, then I will hold you (and many others!) in travel! I will think of my wonderful CMers and their incredible advice and wander the world offering prayers and the sunrise I haven't seen for their intentions!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) John-971967 said: Hi Layden,Just to add a few things when in Rome: it will be hot and muggy, so definite...
(Quote) John-971967 said:

Hi Layden,

Just to add a few things when in Rome: it will be hot and muggy, so definitely plan on getting out early and go loose and cumfy with the clothing (no dark outfits and no polyester) and plan a siesta out of the sun for a few hours in the afternoons. You should definitely get out after 8pm and stay up 'til 2am... then up at 5! Definitely see the Catacombs and the Sistine Chapel and also just march up like a Yankee doodle and insist on seeing Francis. He's not in the papal residence but an apartment. Who needs an audience with him? Just tell the personal secretary that one of his sheep wants to see what the shepherd smells like. I suggest you wear no perfume :) You will get bonus points when he finds out you are an American bearing a John Wayne Cowboy hat willing to teach him a few words of English (like "Howdy partner!"), it will come in handy when he visits Stateside. Whaaat, I am serious! Tell him that he has to wear the hat when he shows up!!!

--hide--

Hi John,

I like the plan: it's bold, it's crazy and it involves a cowboy hat!! But on the practical side, I thank you for the advice on the clothes. Wardrobe-wise I was debating American tourist faves: t-shirt, sandals, knee-lenght shorts or a more Fellini Girl look (think La Dolce Vita). I think I'll settle for skirts, shawl and a cowboy hat. Thanks, friend!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 14th 2013 new
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi Sol! I'm going to have to go with you here! I don't eat McDonald...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Hi Sol!

I'm going to have to go with you here! I don't eat McDonald's in the US....I can't imagine feeling the need to do so abroad! I will risk intestinal discomfort for great food! I have to say half of my desire to go is to try new foods. I am a bit of a foodie and I love finding new and amazing places to eat! Thanks for the perspective!!

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

When I first went to Italy, I was specifically told to eat pasta, and drink wine. Both are excellent. If you know nothing of wine, no problem.. ask for the house red or house white. Ordering from the wine list can be tricky, particularly ordering a wine not from the area you are in (it can be risky as wines that are both good and bad are shipped out of area, but the house wine is always good). I actually was complemented on the wine I ordered once from a member of the group I was with. When he asked how I selected it he ws suprsed that I just asked for the house wine..
May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Hi John, I like the plan: it's bold, it's crazy and it involves a co...

Hi John,

I like the plan: it's bold, it's crazy and it involves a cowboy hat!! But on the practical side, I thank you for the advice on the clothes. Wardrobe-wise I was debating American tourist faves: t-shirt, sandals, knee-lenght shorts or a more Fellini Girl look (think La Dolce Vita). I think I'll settle for skirts, shawl and a cowboy hat. Thanks, friend!

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

Dear Layden,

Wise choice with the skirts, et al. You would never otherwise get past Francis' secretary with the Fellini Girl look; although it's perfect for the night life while in Rome and away from the Vatican.

Do I need to tell you to watch out for those handsome Itlian young men? Have fun!

You will have an amazing experience.

Blessings,

John

May 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Chris-280015 said: When I first went to Italy, I was specifically told to eat pasta, and drink wine. Both are excel...
(Quote) Chris-280015 said:

When I first went to Italy, I was specifically told to eat pasta, and drink wine. Both are excellent. If you know nothing of wine, no problem.. ask for the house red or house white. Ordering from the wine list can be tricky, particularly ordering a wine not from the area you are in (it can be risky as wines that are both good and bad are shipped out of area, but the house wine is always good). I actually was complemented on the wine I ordered once from a member of the group I was with. When he asked how I selected it he ws suprsed that I just asked for the house wine..
--hide--

Hi Chris,

What great and necessary advice!! I hadn't thought of how to order...I have a preternatural "feel" for good wines. It's a gift! Thanks so much for the tip though, will do!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 16th 2013 new

(Quote) John-971967 said: Dear Layden,Wise choice with the skirts, et al. You would never otherwise get past Fra...
(Quote) John-971967 said:

Dear Layden,

Wise choice with the skirts, et al. You would never otherwise get past Francis' secretary with the Fellini Girl look; although it's perfect for the night life while in Rome and away from the Vatican.

Do I need to tell you to watch out for those handsome Itlian young men? Have fun!

You will have an amazing experience.

Blessings,

John

--hide--

Hello kind sir,

Since the only Italians I plan to hang out with are the martyrs....then probably. But I do aim to have an amazing experience...to that end I promised myself one Fellini-esque night involving a water fountain!

In Christ,

Leyden

May 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: (Quote) John-132457 said: I've not been to London, Paris, or Rome. Ju...

Quote:
John-132457 said:

I've not been to London, Paris, or Rome. Just a little jealous! I've always wanted to see England and maybe search out old Catholic sites. Also, in London, I'd like to visit Tyburn, where so many martyrs died.

www.tyburnconvent.org.uk

Dear good soul,

No need for jealousy! If we can hold each other in prayer, then I will hold you (and many others!) in travel! I will think of my wonderful CMers and their incredible advice and wander the world offering prayers and the sunrise I haven't seen for their intentions!

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

Well, maybe just a little jealousy. Strictly of a joyful nature! Our prayers go with you. smile

Posts 61 - 70 of 78