Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

May 6th 2013 new

Ah, I was just looking for an answer about why men who had emoticonned me had missing or unavailable profiles. That answers that!

May 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: If the profile disappears quickly, often it's because someone else realized they were a scammer and created...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

If the profile disappears quickly, often it's because someone else realized they were a scammer and created a Help Ticket. CM Admin moves fast on them.

--hide--

Conversely, a profile that has been here a long time is much less likely to belong to a scammer. wink
May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-461057 said: Good information. I become suspicious when they ask for email or phone number in the profile o...
(Quote) Joan-461057 said:

Good information. I become suspicious when they ask for email or phone number in the profile or in the first message, although some people do that who don't want to pay for membership, so it's not an absolute. The typical ones I get are muscle showing, too young men who want to assure me that age is not a problem, who live far from me, and who absolutely adore me from just looking at my picture. Type two is someone who clearly has problems with English, and has a job that takes them out of the US frequently; one even described his perfect mate as a "he" instead of a "she". Almost all of them want your personal info up front; ie email, phone, address etc. Most of them post pictures of extremely good looking men, some age appropriate and some not. Some have incomes of $100,000 or more, doctorates or masters and houses all over the world, yet have trouble forming a sentence correctly. Those are clues that can help you not answer to begin with. Clues to the more sophisticated ones who are more subtle and seem real at first are the anxiousness to get your personal information too quickly. After the football player scam some people were pushing Face to Face meetings quickly. I still warn against that because it causes people to give out personal data too soon, and I think online through the site communication still should be lengthy to wear the scammer out if thats what they are. The general rule for me is: if they are too good looking and love me too fast and want to get off the site too soon be suspicious.

--hide--

Exactly Joan!!!

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-461057 said: The general rule for me is: if they are too good looking and love me too fast and want to get ...

The general rule for me is: if they are too good looking and love me too fast and want to get off the site too soon be suspicious.

--hide--

Amen, sister. As I always say, with age comes wisdom and with wisdom comes patience.

May 7th 2013 new

I'm not sure how much checking/investigation is possible. Seems to me that to a large degree it's a situation of "how much do you believe of what you're reading".
However, once you know what to look for, as this discussion demonstrates, it's easy to spot them. Admin has lots of experience.

May 7th 2013 new

Unless they are particularly devious, like you? scratchchin

laughing laughing laughing

hug

May 7th 2013 new

Well, I think one way to escape scammers is through sheer laziness like me. mischievous I am not able to get myself to check out the site often and usually when I come around to check on someone who had sent his interest about a week ago... Well, I find that he has disappeared... eyepopping

Another way is to keep in touch often. He is bound to slip at some point of time. One guy I corresponded with claimed he was a Christian but once emailed me in a hurry and signed off with his real name.... which happened to be a Hindu one.... wide eyed Needless to say I never heard from him again... laughing laughing

But in the end what really saves are prayers and powers of discernment.... Praying

May 7th 2013 new
There are many counties than have scammer but the most common situation is they want personal email right away. That is why communication threw this sight is important. I find that some svammers have improved on grammer but they like to send peoms and really want to talk. They might list they work in military or on oil rigs and soon want to retire or have there young children with grandparents or in boarding school. I find if I pray about the person... They usually disapear.
May 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-461057 said: Good information. I become suspicious when they ask for email or phone number in the profile o...

Good information. I become suspicious when they ask for email or phone number in the profile or in the first message, although some people do that who don't want to pay for membership, so it's not an absolute. The typical ones I get are muscle showing, too young men who want to assure me that age is not a problem, who live far from me, and who absolutely adore me from just looking at my picture. Type two is someone who clearly has problems with English, and has a job that takes them out of the US frequently; one even described his perfect mate as a "he" instead of a "she". Almost all of them want your personal info up front; ie email, phone, address etc. Most of them post pictures of extremely good looking men, some age appropriate and some not. Some have incomes of $100,000 or more, doctorates or masters and houses all over the world, yet have trouble forming a sentence correctly. Those are clues that can help you not answer to begin with. Clues to the more sophisticated ones who are more subtle and seem real at first are the anxiousness to get your personal information too quickly. After the football player scam some people were pushing Face to Face meetings quickly. I still warn against that because it causes people to give out personal data too soon, and I think online through the site communication still should be lengthy to wear the scammer out if thats what they are. The general rule for me is: if they are too good looking and love me too fast and want to get off the site too soon be suspicious.

--hide--

May 8th 2013 new

Thank you for your advice.

I really do not know if I wrote a scammer. Only when I asked my personal account in the second message ... and the third message, that he wanted to know, I replied that if it was Speedy Gonzales the mouse best famous of Mexico. . I'm Mexican and do not write well in English…So it is best to prayer for wisdom in each message we received or we sent.

Posts 11 - 20 of 37