Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Respect for The Rosary

May 5th 2013 new

Does it drive you crazy when you see someone wear a Rosary around their neck like a piece of jewerly? rosary

I was taught by my mother and from religion classes (CCD) that The Rosary is sacred, and that it is considered disrespectful to wear it as a necklace. theheart rosary

What are your thoughts? scratchchin

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-898689 said: Does it drive you crazy when you see someone wear a Rosary around their neck like a piece of jewe...
(Quote) Susan-898689 said:

Does it drive you crazy when you see someone wear a Rosary around their neck like a piece of jewerly?

I was taught by my mother and from religion classes (CCD) that The Rosary is sacred, and that it is considered disrespectful to wear it as a necklace.

What are your thoughts?

--hide--

I do not wear the rosary as a necklace, but I always have it everywhere I go.

Legionary of Christ Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum university, answers the question.

“The closest resemblance to a norm on this topic is found in Canon 1171 of the Code of Canon Law. To wit: ‘Sacred objects, set aside for divine worship by dedication or blessing, are to be treated with reverence. They are not to be made over to secular or inappropriate use, even though they may belong to private persons.’

“Also, wearing a sacred object is not the same as using it in a secular or inappropriate manner. In fact, many religious congregations wear the rosary as part of their habit, usually hanging from a belt. I think that the key to answering this question can be found in St. Paul: ‘So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God’ (1 Corinthians 10:31). In other words, there should be no indifferent or irrelevant actions in the life of a Christian.

“If the reason for wearing a rosary is as a statement of faith, as a reminder to pray it, or some similar reason ‘to the glory of God,’ then there is nothing to object to. It would not be respectful to wear it merely as jewelry.
“This latter point is something to bear in mind in the case of wearing a rosary around the neck. In the first place, while not unknown, it is not common Catholic practice.

“Second, in relatively recent times, certain controversial public figures have popularized the fashion of wearing the rosary as a necklace, and not precisely in order to ‘do all to the glory of God.’ It would also appear that in some parts of the United States and elsewhere, wearing rosary beads around the neck has become a gang-related badge of identification.

“Hence, while a Catholic may wear a rosary around the neck for a good purpose, he or she should consider if the practice will be positively understood in the cultural context in which the person moves. If any misunderstanding is likely, then it would be better to avoid the practice.”

May 5th 2013 new

I know Madonna made this popular in the 80's. My grandmother owned a store that, among other things, sold religious goods. I remember her telling my mom that a woman came in asking about the necklace that Madonna wears, having no idea what it was.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-898689 said: Does it drive you crazy when you see someone wear a Rosary around their neck like a piece of jewe...

Does it drive you crazy when you see someone wear a Rosary around their neck like a piece of jewerly?

I was taught by my mother and from religion classes (CCD) that The Rosary is sacred, and that it is considered disrespectful to wear it as a necklace.

What are your thoughts?

--hide--

I can't stand it.. Seeing Rosaries in places like Ardene's - really?

I used to wear a Rosary around my neck UNDER my shirt so one could see the beads a little, but it wasn't meant to be a decoration anymore than my scapular. It's a good way of carrying it everywhere for those of us who lack pockets most of the time. (That one broke a couple months ago, so I have a smaller one now which resides in my purse- I often miss having it with me.)

May 5th 2013 new

I have mixed feelings on this. I, too, grew up knowing that it's considered disrespectful to wear a rosary like a necklace. This came up last year during a church sale I was working. A boy bought a rosary, then immediately put it around his neck. Another sale worker told him no, don't do that--the rosary is not jewelry, it's a weapon. The boy looked blankly at us, and went to the priest to have it blessed, which the priest did. Later I asked that priest about it and about my traditional understanding of the matter. He said it was no different to wear a rosary around one's neck than it was to wear a cross, if one's meaning or intent was the same--to show reverence/regard for Jesus or Mary and identification with our Church. I don't recall specifically how he phrased it, but he did speak against the auto rosaries, those decades that hang from a car's rear view mirror. I took mine down that evening. embarassed Wish I could remember why that was bad....

May 5th 2013 new

eyepopping Susan, it drives me crazy to see anyone "wear" a Rosary. The Rosary is sacred and when I taught 3rd grade CCD I told the children that it was a precious Sacramental. One little girl popped up out of her seat and told me her mother wore hers as she cleaned house... He mother was a very religious woman at Church and when she confronted me, I had to stick to my guns and tell her, no it is not to be worn around the neck. Whoa, what a controversy! The Pastor eventually stepped in and said I was correct. Whew! Thank You Lord! theheart

May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I have mixed feelings on this. I, too, grew up knowing that it's considered disrespectful to w...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

I have mixed feelings on this. I, too, grew up knowing that it's considered disrespectful to wear a rosary like a necklace. This came up last year during a church sale I was working. A boy bought a rosary, then immediately put it around his neck. Another sale worker told him no, don't do that--the rosary is not jewelry, it's a weapon. The boy looked blankly at us, and went to the priest to have it blessed, which the priest did. Later I asked that priest about it and about my traditional understanding of the matter. He said it was no different to wear a rosary around one's neck than it was to wear a cross, if one's meaning or intent was the same--to show reverence/regard for Jesus or Mary and identification with our Church. I don't recall specifically how he phrased it, but he did speak against the auto rosaries, those decades that hang from a car's rear view mirror. I took mine down that evening. Wish I could remember why that was bad....

--hide--

Maybe because it damages the Rosary..? (one guy's blue beads were bleached purple in the sun!) It is, again, a convenience/reminder thing I think. I personally don't like stuff hanging from my mirror, but I don't see it as wrong or sinful by any means. Like your priest was saying about "necklace-Rosaries"- it's all in the intent and, perhaps, how that intent may be viewed/misconstrued. I don't think most people would be scandalized by a Rosary on the mirror.. so long as it actually gets used sometimes!!

I wish you could remember what your priest said against it, I'd be interested to know his reasons.

May 8th 2013 new

What are your thoughts?

--hide--
I have a hard time seeing the rosary itself as anything else than an item to aid the prayer.

May 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: Maybe because it damages the Rosary..? (one guy's blue beads were bleached purple in the sun!) ...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

Maybe because it damages the Rosary..? (one guy's blue beads were bleached purple in the sun!) It is, again, a convenience/reminder thing I think. I personally don't like stuff hanging from my mirror, but I don't see it as wrong or sinful by any means. Like your priest was saying about "necklace-Rosaries"- it's all in the intent and, perhaps, how that intent may be viewed/misconstrued. I don't think most people would be scandalized by a Rosary on the mirror.. so long as it actually gets used sometimes!!

I wish you could remember what your priest said against it, I'd be interested to know his reasons.

--hide--
I agree, intent is extremely important in the wearing of the Rosary. Even this, perhaps, may not extend to wearing itaround the neck as a piece of jewelry, as it can damage the Rosary, but Dominicans wear their 15-decade Rosaries around their girdles as both a sign of witness to the importance of the Rowary, and as a catechical tool. Pious stories reinforce the importance of wearing a Rosary to encourage others to say it. For example, a medieval Spanish king lived most of his life dissolutely, but whenever he went among his subjects he always wore the Rosary around his belt to encourage his people to say it. And they did. Their prayers obtained a grace for their king: when he was dying of illness, the Blessed Mother appeared to him and told him that thanks to the prayers of his subjects of the Rosary, which had been inspired by his wearing it, that he would be given additional time to amend his life. He immediately recovered from his illness and amended his life, dying a holy death shortly thereafter. As with all pious practices, the wearing of the Rosary can be abused. But if our intentions and methods of this practice are in the right place, then they can merit many graces for ourselves and others.
May 22nd 2013 new
I got my first rosary last week. I wear it proudly. If I wear it under the shirt, the Marian image pricks at my chest hairs. Mary is frequently speaking to my heart. If I wear it over my shirt, then I am showing that I am an "out and proud" Catholic amid many non-Catholics. I've noticed that most people don't notice the difference between a rosary and an ordinary cross necklace on casual inspection, though.

The rosary is indeed a weapon and no mere fashion statement. In wearing it, I refuse to be disarmed. Ever. As long as I pray the rosary daily, I don't see this as disrespectful at all.

I could see how others may abuse wearing a rosary in vain, however, or as merely a fashion statement. That is inappropriate. I also see why hanging a rosary on one's car mirror is disrespectful.

I made my own cross necklace three years ago and I used to wear it frequently. I have replaced this with my rosary to symbolize my conversion, and I now hang that necklace on my car mirror.

I've been able to pray the rosary in difficult circumstances specifically because I had it on me and could quickly take the rosary in hand and pray. It's not sacrilege if it's done reverently.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10