Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

"Physically Fit"

May 6th 2013 new

My aunt was the one who pointed out to me that some men mention in their Ideal Match paragraph that they'd like their partner to be "physically fit". I've never seen that listed until tonight. I had a guy view me, so in all curiosity, I viewed back and started reading through his profile...until I saw "I'd like my partner to be physically fit." Hey. To each his own, as the saying goes, but why are you going to be so picky? When I read that, I saw this guy in a different light...and it's wasn't a flattering one. You could have a great connection with anyone on this site, and if you say no because they're not physically fit enough for you, then you're throwing away potential friendships, relationships, or your possible spouse. If the connection is there, the appearance shouldn't matter. My opinion. I'm curious as to how others are going to reply.

May 6th 2013 new

wave Maria, I have seen the same thing in men's profiles (among other things) and these are men in their 50's-60's-70'... as I am much older than you. I get viewed by and view older men. It, quite honestly, bothered me too, at first, for a little while. I can understand if they want someone to go mountain climbing, surfing, hang gliding, bungee jumping or do other activities that require you to be "Physically Fit". If that is the reason for the "Physically Fit" requirement, then perhaps, I can understand. However, if it is just for "Attraction", well my dear Gentlemen, look in a mirror. I don't mean to be unkind. I believe they are, or could be, losing out on a possible relationship or friendship. I don't waste much energy on it anymore. I don't have that requirement. I only require a kind, good, honest man who is a gentleman. rose Good Luck and don't let it get to you. Their lose, Your gain. Clover

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Maria-952927 said: My aunt was the one who pointed out to me that some men mention in their Ideal Match paragraph th...
(Quote) Maria-952927 said:

My aunt was the one who pointed out to me that some men mention in their Ideal Match paragraph that they'd like their partner to be "physically fit". I've never seen that listed until tonight. I had a guy view me, so in all curiosity, I viewed back and started reading through his profile...until I saw "I'd like my partner to be physically fit." Hey. To each his own, as the saying goes, but why are you going to be so picky? When I read that, I saw this guy in a different light...and it's wasn't a flattering one. You could have a great connection with anyone on this site, and if you say no because they're not physically fit enough for you, then you're throwing away potential friendships, relationships, or your possible spouse. If the connection is there, the appearance shouldn't matter. My opinion. I'm curious as to how others are going to reply.

--hide--

I've seen "physically active" here and there, but primarily on profiles where the guy is, himself, physically active. In this case it seems totally normal to me that he would want a partner who likes to be active/workout as well. I probably see different profiles than you, Maria, but I would agree that in some cases demanding such a thing would be a little weird.

And as per the custom.. welcome to the forums. :)

May 6th 2013 new
I think this is OK if you would like to find someone to adventure with, as was suggested, but not necessarily a good idea if looks are more important
May 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Maria-952927 said: My aunt was the one who pointed out to me that some men mention in their Ideal Match paragraph th...

--hide--

Hello Maria - maybe they have an active lifestyle and they see someone who shares the same lifestyle will be the best "fit" for them? I honestly don't think, I and say, a triathlete will be a good match laughing. I don't think it'll be fair for him because I don't think I can give him the support and understanding especially of their training. There is just no way I can train with him either hehehe. But put me in a dance floor for 5 hours - I'm game! A triathlete might find that ..I don't know , boring maybe. So I'm thinking, it's not a requirement but I think I'll get a long better with a guy who loves to dance (even if they have two left feet) versus a triathlete. I have nothing against triathletes you see? It's just a matter of "disparity" of interest and activities.

I hear what you're saying though about not being picky and not writing someone off right away, I understand that.

May 7th 2013 new

--hide--

Maria, you go girl!! What about HWP (height weight proportionate)? For the longest time I thought HWP was an acronym for a particular ethnic group eyepopping and since I didn't know what ethnic group that was I figured I didn't qualify boggled. I am serious!!

Physical fitness is subjective and certainly not rocket science; one can be 20 to 50 lbs. "overweight" and have more stamina than someone at or below their ideal weight.

As you said, to each his own. I too view people in an unflattering light when they start determining what body type they "like". How much more shallow can a person get?

May 7th 2013 new

--hide--
Hi Maria, Welcome! I too have seen many comments about fitness. I love to walk; every woman over the age of 40 should get some sort of weight bearing exercise 4-5 times per day to keep the calcium in her bones. Who wants osteoporosis in their 60's? It's horrible to fall and fracture. That said, I don't have 60 minutes to go to the gym 5 times per week (plus the prep and travel time to and fro). Fitness can become one more idol if we are not careful.

May 7th 2013 new

Whenever I've seen this requirement, I took it as they want a girl who's interested in and can participate in their athletic lifestyles.

I'm not America's Next Top Model, but I love a good game of almost anything (even if I hate running) so I don't usually count myself out on those profiles immediately. My best friend runs triathlons and such, but doesn't really look like she's so active.

May 7th 2013 new

--hide--

How is this any different than rejecting a person based on looks? Or any other litmus test, for that matter? If the person leads a lifestyle that is very physically active, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to desire to date or marry someone who is able to participate in the same activities.

May 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Mary-937794 said: Maria, I have seen the same thing in men's profiles (among other things) and these are men in their 50'...
(Quote) Mary-937794 said:

Maria, I have seen the same thing in men's profiles (among other things) and these are men in their 50's-60's-70'... as I am much older than you. I get viewed by and view older men. It, quite honestly, bothered me too, at first, for a little while. I can understand if they want someone to go mountain climbing, surfing, hang gliding, bungee jumping or do other activities that require you to be "Physically Fit". If that is the reason for the "Physically Fit" requirement, then perhaps, I can understand. However, if it is just for "Attraction", well my dear Gentlemen, look in a mirror. I don't mean to be unkind. I believe they are, or could be, losing out on a possible relationship or friendship. I don't waste much energy on it anymore. I don't have that requirement. I only require a kind, good, honest man who is a gentleman. Good Luck and don't let it get to you. Their lose, Your gain.

--hide--
Kind, good, honest gentleman? I've been on a lot of dates....those are tough requirements...smile
Posts 1 - 10 of 101