Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

www.bloomberg.com

Walmart has been in the debit card business for awhile now. On the talk shows tonight it was asked if Walmart
should be involved with home mortgages or home loans to consumers.

I can't see any reason why they should not be involved if they are properly supervised. I bet they will offer
very competitive prices to the borrower.

Any thoughts?

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.bloomberg.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.bloomberg.com

Walmart has been in the debit card business for awhile now. On the talk shows tonight it was asked if Walmart

I can't see any reason why they should not be involved if they are properly supervised. I bet they will offer

Any thoughts?

--hide--

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. I shop there because it's the best option in our town and even driving to Norman the prices at Target can't compete. But, some of their practices concern me. Keeping "full time" employees just under the number of worked hours to qualify for benefits, Dead peasant policies on their employees (where they collect but the family receives nothing), and no longer being a pro-American made product company as they were when they began, perhaps even going so far as to refuse to carry a manufacturer's products if they didn't move their production to somewhere with cheaper labor.

www.workplacefairness.org

www.freerepublic.com

abcnews.go.com

www.pbs.org

So I am not sure letting them into the mortgage game is a smart move, they already have their fingers in just about every pie available and always have the loopholes scoped out it seems, not to mention their sheer dollar power allows them to get away with quite a bit. I don't know what the right answer is for this, just laying out some of the things about them that have concerned me.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. I shop there because it's th...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. I shop there because it's the best option in our town and even driving to Norman the prices at Target can't compete. But, some of their practices concern me. Keeping "full time" employees just under the number of worked hours to qualify for benefits, Dead peasant policies on their employees (where they collect but the family receives nothing), and no longer being a pro-American made product company as they were when they began, perhaps even going so far as to refuse to carry a manufacturer's products if they didn't move their production to somewhere with cheaper labor.

www.workplacefairness.org

www.freerepublic.com

abcnews.go.com

www.pbs.org

So I am not sure letting them into the mortgage game is a smart move, they already have their fingers in just about every pie available and always have the loopholes scoped out it seems, not to mention their sheer dollar power allows them to get away with quite a bit. I don't know what the right answer is for this, just laying out some of the things about them that have concerned me.

--hide--

A lot of people feel the same way.

But reflect on this reality. WalMart does exactly what all the other chains do. The difference is that all the other big chains are unionized, WalMart isn't. So their practices, which they all indulge in, come into more criticism from the media.

In other words, propaganda of long standing, has painted a picture of WalMart that most people accept even though they are no better and no worse than all the others.

This Obummer depression has forced a lot of people to look for more value for the few dollars they have to spend. Hence WalMart, along with Costco, is booming, while the others are still suffering, despite all the propanganda about things getting better.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.bloomberg.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.bloomberg.com

Any thoughts?

--hide--
Despite the popularity of WalMart, I have issues with the chain because of some of their "iffy" business practices -- including ethical and moral issues. As a result, I try my darndest to avoid the place. It's popular because of low pricing which seems to be the dominant factor in people's decisions to shop there. That seems to be the bottom line -- to ignore the ethics and just focus on lower pricing. Other large chains might not be lily-white either, but abuses, if any, don't come close to what's been disclosed about WalMart.

For this reason, I would not support their entry into other areas of business.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: A lot of people feel the same way. But reflect on this reality. WalMart does exact...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

A lot of people feel the same way.

But reflect on this reality. WalMart does exactly what all the other chains do. The difference is that all the other big chains are unionized, WalMart isn't. So their practices, which they all indulge in, come into more criticism from the media.

In other words, propaganda of long standing, has painted a picture of WalMart that most people accept even though they are no better and no worse than all the others.

This Obummer depression has forced a lot of people to look for more value for the few dollars they have to spend. Hence WalMart, along with Costco, is booming, while the others are still suffering, despite all the propanganda about things getting better.

--hide--

Thanks Paul,

I am sure other companies also indulge in this. I've even wondered if the company my husband worked for might have had a policy of this type on him, although I did receive the life insurance provided as part of his benefit package, I would assume that does not prevent the company from having additional policies.

The only large chain I am really familiar with is Wal-Mart. We do have Target. Kmart is only available in part of the state, at one time it was due to non-compete agreements, I am not sure what the reason is now. I've never been in a Costco. Originally we had two grocery stores and a small Wal-mart. Then Wal-Mart decided to build a super center. It resulted in the closing of one grocery store and the other one was taken over by Homeland, but left branded as a United, but there are something now that can only be purchased in the off-brand and no name brand option exists, additionally the prices even on the off brands are more expensive than going to Wal-Mart. It's frustrating but that's the way it works.

I don't know enough about how it all works. I just know the practices bother me, they may be technically legal or even routine practice, but they just smack as unethical.

How does the unionized vs. non-unionized impact this situation?

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Despite the popularity of WalMart, I have issues with the chain because of some of their "iffy...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Despite the popularity of WalMart, I have issues with the chain because of some of their "iffy" business practices -- including ethical and moral issues. As a result, I try my darndest to avoid the place. It's popular because of low pricing which seems to be the dominant factor in people's decisions to shop there. That seems to be the bottom line -- to ignore the ethics and just focus on lower pricing. Other large chains might not be lily-white either, but abuses, if any, don't come close to what's been disclosed about WalMart.

For this reason, I would not support their entry into other areas of business.

--hide--

Ray, comparisons are made between Walmart's prices and other chains like CVS, say, and Walmart comes ahead as
being cheaper on some items, but other items are more expensive.

So the point was that Walmart is not all it is cracked up to be. The point also was the consumer should become
aware of prices. A good sale at CVS or Walgreens Drug Store can find cheaper items that Walmart has.

May 9th 2013 new

I work for the company, and I think it would be a bad idea. It would take them too far away from their roots. Their core business is buying and selling consumer merchandise, not real estate, home loans or banking. I think many of their current problems are the result of them losing sight of their roots. I think even their product line should be simplified. That's my two cents because that's about all I can really afford.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Thanks Paul, I am sure other companies also indulge in this. I've even wonde...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Thanks Paul,

I am sure other companies also indulge in this. I've even wondered if the company my husband worked for might have had a policy of this type on him, although I did receive the life insurance provided as part of his benefit package, I would assume that does not prevent the company from having additional policies.

The only large chain I am really familiar with is Wal-Mart. We do have Target. Kmart is only available in part of the state, at one time it was due to non-compete agreements, I am not sure what the reason is now. I've never been in a Costco. Originally we had two grocery stores and a small Wal-mart. Then Wal-Mart decided to build a super center. It resulted in the closing of one grocery store and the other one was taken over by Homeland, but left branded as a United, but there are something now that can only be purchased in the off-brand and no name brand option exists, additionally the prices even on the off brands are more expensive than going to Wal-Mart. It's frustrating but that's the way it works.

I don't know enough about how it all works. I just know the practices bother me, they may be technically legal or even routine practice, but they just smack as unethical.

How does the unionized vs. non-unionized impact this situation?

--hide--

Being non-unionized means the Unions propaganda machine works full time to discredit WalMart. The general media is not only the voice of the Ultra Liberal left, it is the voice of the unions. Hence, all one sees in the media is anti WalMart propaganda.

If WalMart ever signs on with Unions, the media will trumpet them as this wonderful company that helps the average Joe with its low prices. Then it will be a prince among the biggies.

Its ethics are no better or worse than any of the others. But note how people go out of their way to be critical of WalMart. At best they say things like, they may all do it but WalMart is the worst and I take a stand against their unethical ways.

Its silly. Obviously anyone is free to avoid WalMart if they wish. But if their reason is the the Union BS about them, which most of it is, then they are as dishonest and those who propangandize against WalMart.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Being non-unionized means the Unions propaganda machine works full time to discredit WalM...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Being non-unionized means the Unions propaganda machine works full time to discredit WalMart. The general media is not only the voice of the Ultra Liberal left, it is the voice of the unions. Hence, all one sees in the media is anti WalMart propaganda.

If WalMart ever signs on with Unions, the media will trumpet them as this wonderful company that helps the average Joe with its low prices. Then it will be a prince among the biggies.

Its ethics are no better or worse than any of the others. But note how people go out of their way to be critical of WalMart. At best they say things like, they may all do it but WalMart is the worst and I take a stand against their unethical ways.

Its silly. Obviously anyone is free to avoid WalMart if they wish. But if their reason is the the Union BS about them, which most of it is, then they are as dishonest and those who propangandize against WalMart.

--hide--

Thanks Paul,

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the union lobby (as in general not specific).

May 10th 2013 new

I hear a lot about Walmart's questionable practices, but my take on it is, employees who are not happy with their benefits and/or work conditions are free to find jobs elsewhere. Walmart has to be given credit for hiring employees of various demographics that other retailers don't hire at all. When I worked as a refugee resettlement social worker (helping refugees find jobs), I placed several refugee clients there who barely spoke English and had no previous job experience. Try placing people like that at Target or another retailer. And I can't help but notice that when I go to Walmart, many elderly and disabled individuals work there - I don't see the same at Target or Kmart. So while some may say that Walmart is taking advantage of them by not giving them benefits, I say that we should focus on what they did give them - a job. The sad reality is, despite non-discrimination laws and all that, most retailers won't hire many of the individuals who find work at Walmart.

Posts 1 - 10 of 26