Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I hear a lot about Walmart's questionable practices, but my take on it is, employees who are no...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I hear a lot about Walmart's questionable practices, but my take on it is, employees who are not happy with their benefits and/or work conditions are free to find jobs elsewhere. Walmart has to be given credit for hiring employees of various demographics that other retailers don't hire at all. When I worked as a refugee resettlement social worker (helping refugees find jobs), I placed several refugee clients there who barely spoke English and had no previous job experience. Try placing people like that at Target or another retailer. And I can't help but notice that when I go to Walmart, many elderly and disabled individuals work there - I don't see the same at Target or Kmart. So while some may say that Walmart is taking advantage of them by not giving them benefits, I say that we should focus on what they did give them - a job. The sad reality is, despite non-discrimination laws and all that, most retailers won't hire many of the individuals who find work at Walmart.

--hide--
On the flip side of what you've said, WalMart is therefore hiring some of the more vulnerable people in the country. This is a segment of our population that is easier to take advantage of. The "abuses" may be subtle but can be present with the needy people either not aware of what's going on, or being in a weak position to complain.

With the economy in it's present downside, it's not a simple matter of packing up and leaving for another job. Jobs often aren't available. There's nothing for them to go to.

The question is whether WalMart is acting in a benevolent way, or is it taking advantage of the less fortunate?

My personal experience with WalMart is limited - initially because of poor and unfriendly service; now because of what's been publicized about their business practices. I encountered greeters that don't greet (one was chatting away with a fellow employe; a greeter who didn't say anything at all -- she just pointed to the store aisles). I think I could have found my way. A couple refused to help because "it's not my department". Having someone page for help resulted in a near 20 minute wait, while no one showed up after the first page. Yet there were employes walking around, not even asking if I needed assistance. There were other instances where more couresy would have been appreciated. I'm sure this happens in other stores, but WalMart seemed to be conssistent at it.

Your perspective is different, of course, and in a way that makes WalMart appealing to you. From a consumer viewpoint, it's a different story.

May 10th 2013 new

I think Walmart is too smart to be in the mortgage business. Mortgages involve lending money. They are involved with debit cards because it doesn't involve lending money.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think Walmart is too smart to be in the mortgage business. Mortgages involve lending money. The...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I think Walmart is too smart to be in the mortgage business. Mortgages involve lending money. They are involved with debit cards because it doesn't involve lending money.

--hide--

They also have credit cards, so they are already lending money. And I am not talking about the fact that they accept all major cards. They issue their own card.

May 11th 2013 new

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure they still did that.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: They also have credit cards, so they are already lending money. And I am not talking about the fac...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

They also have credit cards, so they are already lending money. And I am not talking about the fact that they accept all major cards. They issue their own card.

--hide--

Sam's Club credit cards are issued through a third-party finance company. Given the common ownership, I assume WalMart's are as well.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think Walmart is too smart to be in the mortgage business. Mortgages involve lending money. The...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

--hide--

They would probably have to set up a "Savings and Loan" Association first. Usually loans are given on Other People's Money.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I hear a lot about Walmart's questionable practices, but my take on it is, employees who are no...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I hear a lot about Walmart's questionable practices, but my take on it is, employees who are not happy with their benefits and/or work conditions are free to find jobs elsewhere. Walmart has to be given credit for hiring employees of various demographics that other retailers don't hire at all. When I worked as a refugee resettlement social worker (helping refugees find jobs), I placed several refugee clients there who barely spoke English and had no previous job experience. Try placing people like that at Target or another retailer. And I can't help but notice that when I go to Walmart, many elderly and disabled individuals work there - I don't see the same at Target or Kmart. So while some may say that Walmart is taking advantage of them by not giving them benefits, I say that we should focus on what they did give them - a job. The sad reality is, despite non-discrimination laws and all that, most retailers won't hire many of the individuals who find work at Walmart.

--hide--

I do look at Walmart as a company that hires rather than a company in neglect of its employees.

After all, the consumer is the ultimate responsibility of retail. If Walmart was not able to attract consumers, then
it would not be able to hire anyone at any wage.

May 11th 2013 new

Nope, I don't shop there and wouldn't go to them for a mortgage either.

www.pbs.org

May 11th 2013 new

That thought makes me feel physically ill. I would say, "Oh, H#$@ No!.

May 13th 2013 new

Obviously, few here have any knowledge of how the mortgage industry functions today. (Just a comment - not a snide remark!) Having been involved in this industry for more years than I care to reveal, I can say without hesitation that with all the regulations foisted upon us by Dodd-Frank et al, Walmart would never consider entering into the mortgage world. It restricts competitveness, creates innumerable compliance issues, and has increased cost factors in the name of 'Consumer Protection', all to the benefit of government agencies and their affiliates, and serving no obvious benefit to the consumer. What used to be a fairly pleasant, one-on-one, cut & dry business transaction to help people become homeowners has now become a multi-level, impersonal, paperwork-intensive exercise in tolerance on the part of all involved.

Walmart is in the busines to maintain & improve their financial stability and provide a service to the general public. The mortgage industry is now 'capped' on its earning capabilities regardless of whether it's a small office or a large bank. The licensing, fees, and costs are all mandated and have all grown incrementally, yet those cannot be passed on to the consumer. The ability to remain financially VIABLE (much less PROFITABLE) is a constant struggle to any independent company and/or bank offering mortgage services, unless they are directly tied to government programs.

It's a pretty safe bet that the same will happen with the Health Care Industry trying to keep it's head above water with what's coming down the road.

Just my two cents ...

Posts 11 - 20 of 26