Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Alex-928670 said: I'm lazy and didn't feel like partitioning my HDD so I used something called Wubi. It work...
(Quote) Alex-928670 said:

I'm lazy and didn't feel like partitioning my HDD so I used something called Wubi. It works pretty well with XP, although with my new laptop I get a warning message that it's not compatible with 8 yet. It gives you a boot menu when you start up the machine.

www.ubuntu.com

--hide--

Thanks, Alex. That look very interesting, though I'll have to read more about what it is doing before I actually try it on my system.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Craig-940185 said: Oh, and FWIW, I switched to Mac OS X about five years ago. Underneath the OS, at the command line...
(Quote) Craig-940185 said:

Oh, and FWIW, I switched to Mac OS X about five years ago. Underneath the OS, at the command line, it's basically UNIX. I can still get my geek on there when I choose. I run all of my windows boxes in virtual machines using VMware Fusion. I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows XP. I think I'll install Debian 7 today and see how it goes.

--hide--

I'd like to try OS X, but the Mac hardware platforms are too expensive for my taste.

From a technical perspective, running Windoze in a VM is the way to go. I looked at doing so back when XP was first released, but the licensing was a snag: IIRC, the license terms only permitted running Windows in a VM under Windows. While there are some benefits to doing this, I didn't feel like paying MS for two Windows licenses to be able to run one user; secondarily, my home PC didn't have enough HP to have an expectation of reasonable performance with Windows under Windows.

May 11th 2013 new

I'm Linux and unix user for several years, both are awesome OS ;). Ubuntu Server works great and very light, easy to maintain compare than windows and it's free source. If you just want to try OS X, you can googling about hackintosh, play around first before spend big money :D, but it's a bit troublesome to find a compatible hardware to play with hackintosh. This website myhack.sojugarden.com provide an easy guide to do that.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Deviana-961863 said: I'm Linux and unix user for several years, both are awesome OS ;). Ubuntu Server works grea...
(Quote) Deviana-961863 said:

I'm Linux and unix user for several years, both are awesome OS ;). Ubuntu Server works great and very light, easy to maintain compare than windows and it's free source. If you just want to try OS X, you can googling about hackintosh, play around first before spend big money :D, but it's a bit troublesome to find a compatible hardware to play with hackintosh. This website myhack.sojugarden.com provide an easy guide to do that.

--hide--

Interesting! Thanks, Deviana.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I'd like to try OS X, but the Mac hardware platforms are too expensive for my taste.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I'd like to try OS X, but the Mac hardware platforms are too expensive for my taste.

--hide--

You may find the refurbished Macs to be more in the affordable range: store.apple.com

As an owner of two refurbished MacBooks for my boys (12 and 8), I find the parental controls easy and really enjoy the fact that I don't have to run a virus scanner that slows the machines down. The machines arrived looking brand new. After three years, I've never had to rebuild either of those machines and they "just work" (tm). wink Some would say that you get what you pay for, but I just believe in using the right tool for the right job. I have used many OSes throughout the years including many flavors of Linux, Solaris, AIX, and every Windows variant you can imagine. For home use, Mac OS X doesn't get in the way and I get things done more quickly.

If you just wish to run a Windows VM, look up XP Mode on Microsoft's website. It costs nothing to license and it's a bonafide Windows VM.

May 11th 2013 new
Im at work right now but I was also going to suggest ubuntu. I believe 13.04 is the newest release. Im still playing around with it. Im looking forward to it for tablets and phones later this year.
May 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Thanks, Alex. That look very interesting, though I'll have to read more about what it is do...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Thanks, Alex. That look very interesting, though I'll have to read more about what it is doing before I actually try it on my system.

--hide--

You can run it from a cd or flash drive to try it without installing it and you can also dual boot it with Windows. Ive done that with knoppix before by just running from the cd. Very good way to play with the os.
May 11th 2013 new
Im also going to be doing a blade server with ubuntu next week and ill let you know how it goes.
May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Craig-940185 said: You may find the refurbished Macs to be more in the affordable range: store.apple.com.
(Quote) Craig-940185 said:

You may find the refurbished Macs to be more in the affordable range: store.apple.com

As an owner of two refurbished MacBooks for my boys (12 and 8), I find the parental controls easy and really enjoy the fact that I don't have to run a virus scanner that slows the machines down. The machines arrived looking brand new. After three years, I've never had to rebuild either of those machines and they "just work" (tm). Some would say that you get what you pay for, but I just believe in using the right tool for the right job. I have used many OSes throughout the years including many flavors of Linux, Solaris, AIX, and every Windows variant you can imagine. For home use, Mac OS X doesn't get in the way and I get things done more quickly.

If you just wish to run a Windows VM, look up XP Mode on Microsoft's website. It costs nothing to license and it's a bonafide Windows VM.

--hide--

Refurbished HW is a good idea. The perception that antivirus/antimalware software is not needed on Mac is something that needs to be quashed with all due haste. Historically malware has not been a problem on the Apple platforms because of lack of interest among those who write the trash, not becuase the platform is inherently any more secure than Windows. As the popularity of the Mac platform increases, so does its attractiveness to those who desire to cause harm. Documented attacks against Mac platforms are increasing, and its only a matter of time before you hit the knee of the exponential growth curve.

For security, OpenVMS wins hands-down over Windows or and of the UNIX/Linux variants; and while it can be had fairly inexpensively for personal use, the desktop environment is very weak. There are several people working on Honeywell 6000 or DPS8 emulations with the intention of running Multics again. While it has no GUI environment at all, I suspect there are folks who will tackle that once the OS is running. With the Multics security features, a properly implemented Multics desktop would be a quantum leap forward for users. It might take programmers some time to get used to, though -- especially with the OS being implemented almost entirely in PL/I and the numeric content in diagnostic messages being in octal. laughing

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Im also going to be doing a blade server with ubuntu next week and ill let you know how it goes.
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Im also going to be doing a blade server with ubuntu next week and ill let you know how it goes.
--hide--

Thanks, I'm interested in hearing about it. Do you have a blade server at home, or is this at work?

Posts 11 - 20 of 40