Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Craig-940185 said: Knoppix is my Swiss Army Knife that I use for helping others. When people have a computer that ha...
(Quote) Craig-940185 said:

Knoppix is my Swiss Army Knife that I use for helping others. When people have a computer that has crashed and even Windows won't recognize the hard drive to even do a fresh install, Knoppix has come to the rescue to recover data. I have used it to rebuild the Master Boot Record of hard drives. I have also used it to extend NTFS partitions safely.

Knoppix uses many Unstable and Experimental branch packages of Debian, so it recognizes a lot of newer hardware. Despite those opressive sounding names, Knoppix works great, but I only recommend using it as a bootable CD-ROM.

--hide--

Do you have much experience shrinking NTFS partitions to add Linux as a second boot on an existing Windows drive?

May 11th 2013 new
If you have Windows 7 or 8 or a bootable CD based on Windows 7 PE, you could use that to shrink the NTFS partition.
May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Craig-940185 said: Even take the time to configure your mail, even though you'll have to do it all over again if...
(Quote) Craig-940185 said:

Even take the time to configure your mail, even though you'll have to do it all over again if you decide to install it.

--hide--

If a user wanted to save some context while booted from a CD/DVD, would it work to create a /home file system on a thumb drive and mount that manually? The first problem that comes to mind is how to create a user with a home dir on /home?

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: If you have Windows 7 or 8 or a bootable CD based on Windows 7 PE, you could use that to shrink the NTF...
(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: If you have Windows 7 or 8 or a bootable CD based on Windows 7 PE, you could use that to shrink the NTFS partition.
--hide--

How safely? Partition Magic would do it years (~5) ago; however, the results were not compatible with operational stability.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Do you have much experience shrinking NTFS partitions to add Linux as a second boot on an existing...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Do you have much experience shrinking NTFS partitions to add Linux as a second boot on an existing Windows drive?

--hide--

I don't think I've done that, but it's certainly possible. Ubuntu may do this for you as a Dual Boot install.

May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: If a user wanted to save some context while booted from a CD/DVD, would it work to create a /home ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

If a user wanted to save some context while booted from a CD/DVD, would it work to create a /home file system on a thumb drive and mount that manually? The first problem that comes to mind is how to create a user with a home dir on /home?

--hide--

This has been done before, mainly with thumb drive bootable distros. I think Puppy Linux was one of them. There was at least one other CD-ROM bootable distro, but I don't remember because that was about eight years ago. I remember giving the command line option upon starting of where the home directory exists. (e.g. /dev/sda1) In my opinion, it's not worth fooling around with because it's a headache.

May 11th 2013 new
Resizing partitions is fully supported in Windows 7 and 8 and I have never had a problem with it. In fact, I resize the factory C: partition of every workstation I send out the door so that the drive has a D: partition as well. A single partition on a 500 GB workstation is a waste, and I can save an image on D: or stash other useful things there in case C: needs to be reformatted or reimaged.
May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: Resizing partitions is fully supported in Windows 7 and 8 and I have never had a problem with it. In fa...
(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: Resizing partitions is fully supported in Windows 7 and 8 and I have never had a problem with it. In fact, I resize the factory C: partition of every workstation I send out the door so that the drive has a D: partition as well. A single partition on a 500 GB workstation is a waste, and I can save an image on D: or stash other useful things there in case C: needs to be reformatted or reimaged.
--hide--

Thanks, Andrew. I will give it a try.

May 11th 2013 new
Oh I love geek talk...
May 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Onome-119770 said: Oh I love geek talk...
(Quote) Onome-119770 said: Oh I love geek talk...
--hide--

Feel free to join in!

Posts 31 - 40 of 40