Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

May 10 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: The last Tridentine Mass I went to a very elderly priest gave me communion. The side of hi...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

The last Tridentine Mass I went to a very elderly priest gave me communion. The side of his finger touched my tongue and I am sure it had slid across many previous to me. Direct saliva contact, much worse than what they are talking about. I'm still alive..of course I haven't been tested for hepatitis recently

--hide--
I know,but people share the Chalice at Mass in the Novus Ordo.Whenever I attend the Novus Ordo,I skip the Chalice.What if someone has Herpes!!! wide eyed

May 10 new

(Quote) Christine-924384 said: Hi Bernard, I read the article and it says that the dispenser is used before Mass--each perso...
(Quote) Christine-924384 said:

Hi Bernard, I read the article and it says that the dispenser is used before Mass--each person puts an unconsecrated host into a bowl in order to count how many people are there but is not allowed to be used to distribute Holy Communion. However, the youtube video shows a church distributing Holy Communion using the dispenser. Do you know if this is a Catholic church? I see that the priest/minister made the sign of the cross at the end but I couldn't tell if it was actually a Mass. And the people took little cups of wine also, very strange (not saying Precious Blood because I don't think that it is in those little cups--hopefully not anyways).

I find all of this so ridiculous, even the dispenser used before Mass is disrespectful. And if this is actually happening at a Catholic church (the video), then the parish should be suspended from celebrating the Mass until it is celebrated correctly.

No one has ever gotten sick from a consecrated Host or from the Precious Blood.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting and for gettin me all riled up! haha

--hide--
Good points.I don't know the answers though.The Youtube video was sent to me,and I followed a link to the Catholic Church story.That's all I know.The Eastern Catholics always do a form of Intinction (host dipped in Wine or bread in wine administered with spoon) by the Priest,or Deacon.That would solve many issues with the Chalice and hundreds of people drinking from the same Cup.Yuk.

May 10 new

I don't think that dispenser is respectful to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

I have never taken communion in my hands~ever. If I visit a new church, I sometimes get looks, but that's just fine with me. I don't believe that the germs will be spread through communion, this is another way the evil one wants to desecrate our Lord. I also don't believe that you will catch anything from the wine chalice either.

I feel the priests hands are consecrated and protected to distribute the Eucharist to the flock. I attend a traditional church and we are blessed to receive the Eucharist on the tongue and kneeling at the alter, it is beautiful. theheart heart rose

May 11 new

I agree with you Jane, getting sick from Holy Communion under either Species is a worry of the devil.

Do you receive the Eucharist kneeling during the Novus Ordo at your church in IL? If so, I might move and become your neighbor, heehee! I do like the Tridentine Mass too, but it would be wonderful to be able to kneel at the Novus Ordo also. The sheep are scattered, time to reconvene.

May 11 new

(Quote) Christine-924384 said: Hi Bernard, I read the article and it says that the dispenser is used before Mass--each perso...
(Quote) Christine-924384 said:

Hi Bernard, I read the article and it says that the dispenser is used before Mass--each person puts an unconsecrated host into a bowl in order to count how many people are there but is not allowed to be used to distribute Holy Communion.

--hide--

Counting hosts has to be one of the least effective ways of counting the congregation. An electronic counter would not be that expensive and much, much faster. Even having someone in the choir loft counting people would be better.

May 11 new

This is true, especially because not everyone knows to do this at these parishes, so I'm sure that there are a lot of discrepancies in the numbers.

When I first saw this done in person a couple years ago, it really took me back. I realize that they are unconsecrated hosts, but I think that they should still be handled with care and respect, not handled by the congregation biggrin

May 11 new

I remember when I was young, the unconsecrated hosts were kept in a bowl on a special table at the back of the church and as you entered, you were to spoon into a different special chalice the number of hosts needed for your family. They don't do it that way any more -- a number of yearsago (15??) thetable was stolen! There was also some stealing of consecrated hosts from the tabernacle around that time, which led to our church being locked except during hours of Mass and when someone is manning the office.

May 11 new

I am quite certain that the youtube video is not showing a Catholic Mass.... 1) There is no crucifix to be seen at the alter or in the church (as required), 2) The chalice is silver (not gold, or more precious material, as required), 3) Numerous sentences that he says do not come from a Catholic Mass, 4) He says... "I invite you all to come to receive the bread and the wine...." (not body and blood), 5) During communion, the wine is taken from the tray, in separate small cups, by each person. You can see them drinking the wine from the cups as they start to return to the pew, then discarding the cups after they take a few steps.

Even if it is not a Catholic Mass, the "PEZ dispenser" contraption looks ridiculous and disrespectful. Perhaps they will next just put a vending machine at the front of the communion line instead of a minister.

A final thought.... If the possibility of communicable diseases (from communion) was a real problem, then it is surprising that the Catholic church did not die out about 2000 years ago.

Ed

May 11 new

Plus... Notice at the end of the video that there are at least a dozen chairs directly behind the alter.... Not very Catholic either.

Ed

May 11 new

Very true.
But if you google the name of the church it appears to be Catholic, in the diocese of Newark, NJ.
All the same, the priest is definitely NOT doing things according to Hoyle. Reading the WSJ article, I suspect that the Catholic parish is using it to count hosts, and the video is showing another denomination demonstrating use.

Posts 11 - 20 of 31