Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Official Announcement

I am happy to announce that we are now in beta testing for the new CatholicMatch.com device compatible (known as responsive design) website upgrade. Mike, Jason & Nathan have been working very hard for the past several months to keep CatholicMatch in front of the rapidly changing trends. This new udate is meant to do primarily one thing and ONE thing only. Allow anyone to use CatholicMatch from any device they choose. Any smart phone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. All of the changes we have made up to this point is so that the site WORKS on all devices.

We are asking for your input in this process, one that is critical to the long term survival of CatholicMatch. As such we need your help in giving us constructive feedback primarily in the areas of how the site works for you on different devices. While we are happy to listen to feedback on "design" that is not our main focus right now because the design is purely so things work. Please use the site on your phone, tablet and computer and let us know what is working and what is not working or if there is something that is different that confuses you. Comments such as "I hate this, go back to the old site."  "This is terrible."  "If it isn't broken don't fix it." will be removed. We want and need your helpful input. The facts are clear that more and more people are using phones/tablets to connect online and we want to make sure CatholicMatch is staying current or ahead of the trends.

Although in the future we will provide and app for iPhone & Android the step we are taking now is much more critical and will serve as the foundation for any apps or mobile upgrades in the future. Thank you for your help!

Few personal thoughts from me ;)

I will admit it is always tough to put your hard work "out there" for other people to critique but we definitely want your feedback for what we've been up to for the past 4 months.

Here's the context: we have 3 developers here at CatholicMatch. There is a limited amount of code that we can maintain while still trying to move forward. As it currently stands, we have 3 versions of the site: regular, mobile, and a modified for ipad version. That is too much, and all three experiences suffer - mobile has a fair amount of functionality removed, ipad is hard to read.... it's a fairly long and obvious list.

So, here is our attempt to move to a "responsive" layout - one that uses the exact same code for mobile, tablet, and laptop/desktop views. It's not perfect yet - but hopefully this is enough to excite our members a bit and help us push it the last 10% of the way.

Link to the preview:

http://rc.catholicmatch.com?reload_guide=1

Profile page has been redone significantly, We significantly changed the layout of the profile information so that it works with mobile and it is presented in more easy to read format.  You can see an example here:
rc.catholicmatch.com

If you have any difficulties or find something that's broken, let us know - and at the very top of the screen you should see a green bar - it will say something like "Desktop - 979px to 1199px" or "Widescreen - 1200px & up" - include that, so I know what size your screen was at the time.

A few things in progress:
The photo manager needs some TLC. That's next on my list.
The forum stream is throwing a javascript error.
Uploading photos will not go to the live site, but everything else is "live".

May 9th 2013 new

Thanks, Nathan et all.

Although I am Technically Challenged by Choice, I do appreciate all the hard work you guys put on to make it work for us.

I will always be grateful for CM, no matter where I am. This is truly an instrument of the Holy Spirit.

hug

Mari

May 9th 2013 new

The new version looks crisp, Nathan. Pleasing!

I use only a computer--don't have other electronic devices for Internet.

I did not have a green bar at the top of my screen listing the screen size. Must be for the other devices?

May 9th 2013 new
Oooh, pretty and shiny. I like it. :D

Everything seems to be working beautifully with Windows 8/Firefox. However, on Windows Phone 7.8/IE, the bar at the bottom is stationary and blocks other text in the window, there's a button up at the top that doesn't appear to be doing anything, and I can't seem to find an easy way to access messages/forums/blog/etc (I'm suspecting that's what the button is for). In portrait mode, it says "480px and under" and in landscape mode it says "480px to 767px" (the bar is also stationary in landscape mode, but you have to scroll down to see it).

Thank you for all your hard work! Keep it up! :D
May 9th 2013 new

I like the new version. It is much clearer. I only have a laptop so the change should not affect me too much.

May 10th 2013 new

okay just a quick comment here.. Profile page looks good i like how the pics are layed out as you're reading down the profile. Would changing the location of the "appearance" box be an option? Maybe somewhere closer to the "quick view", either below or next to it? Seems like the info fits together real well. but overally looks good Nate.

May 10th 2013 new

Errr...am I on facbook? laughing Love it! Thanks and I appreciate the good job! biggrin

May 10th 2013 new
Thanks for always seeking our feedback as changes occur... When i go to click on the items in the bar that has forums, the entire bar of words jumps to the left. Also, the favorites box is blank. Here is my green bar... Desktop - 979px to 1199px... I think my browser may be an earlier version of IE, so the issue could be on my side, not yours. The look/feel of it seem to be like the new facebook pages.
May 10th 2013 new

There's a lot to absorb ... I can only think of a couple of comments at the moment.

I like the "cleaner" look. It's hard to describe, but it is just nicer to view and seemed less cluttered.

The one issue is that in my search matches, the individual matches are very, very large in appearance so I have to scroll a lot to look at the matches. (I am referring to the search match function, and not the matches sent through match portrait, I haven't checked the match portrait matches). Is there are way to make those a bit smaller so that I can look at 2 or 3 in one screen? The numbers were 979px x 1199px.

The right hand side of the forum stream page had smaller font and images, and some strange lines cutting through the text. It seemed a bit out of balance with the left side of the screen that streams posts.

I was on a laptop, and I don't access the site on other devices, but I appreciate that others may, so I applaud admin efforts to make the site usable across different platforms.

May 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: Errr...am I on facbook? Love it! Thanks and I appreciate the good job!
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

Errr...am I on facbook? Love it! Thanks and I appreciate the good job!

--hide--
That was my first thought too, but it works fine on my iPad.
Posts 1 - 10 of 17