Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) John-879088 said: Sir, we had a council member recently proudly announce that he was going to receive his 32nd degree in the Free Masons and he was sent to the priest who told him the choice.He accepted excommunication and followed 'The Craft'! Another member ignorantly announced at a meeting that after the meeting he was going to attend a Masonic meeting to arrange a large Bar-B-Que Beer Rally as a Community Co-Function wit the Knights of Columbus. There was a famous incident similar to that that may be looked up that happened several years before in the Omaha, Nebraska Diocese where the Arch-Bishop put a decree out after it occurred. It was never changed in the 1960's and accepted nor did Vatican II approve it. Do your homework on the K of C site and Google research. Read the Catholic Encyclopedia that is available at Newadvent.org
John,

individual bishops may excommunicate as they see fit. My point was the change in the Code of Canon Law 1983 edition. Under the 1918 code free masonry was listed as an ex communicable offense. Under the new code it's not. In addition, then cardinal Ratzinger himself pointed out that while this was the case mbership was a grave sin.

The catholic encyclopedia is a great tool. But current documents have to be examened. I love my Raccolts for example, but many of the prayers in it are no longer indulgenced.
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: John,

individual bishops may excommunicate as they see fit. My point was the change in the Code of Canon Law 1983 edition. Under the 1918 code free masonry was listed as an ex communicable offense. Under the new code it's not. In addition, then cardinal Ratzinger himself pointed out that while this was the case mbership was a grave sin.

The catholic encyclopedia is a great tool. But current documents have to be examened. I love my Raccolts for example, but many of the prayers in it are no longer indulgenced.
Why do you say they are n longer indulgenced?

I could be wrong because I merely scanned the most recent edition of the book of Indulgences, but what I remember seeing was no blanket suppression of indulgences. Rather it stated more general rules to apply so that individual declarations of what is and is not indulgenced were no longer necessary. Then it also listed specific indulgenced prayers and actions.

Do I need to go back and read it all in detail this time?
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Why do you say they are n longer indulgenced?

I could be wrong because I merely scanned the most recent edition of the book of Indulgences, but what I remember seeing was no blanket suppression of indulgences. Rather it stated more general rules to apply so that individual declarations of what is and is not indulgenced were no longer necessary. Then it also listed specific indulgenced prayers and actions.

Do I need to go back and read it all in detail this time?
I think Tim was referring to prayers that have been removed from the Book of Indulgences over time. It is my understanding that only the indulgences granted by the current version of the Book apply; those in older versions that have been removed are automatically suppressed when the new edition is promulgated.

Sep 10th 2013 new
That was my understanding as well. Paul VIrevamped all of that and many that had indulgences were removed. My Raccolta is a turn of the last century book. Reprint.

My major point was if you get all your information from the catholic encyclopedia then some things would be wrong. Not teachings but things like current fasting rules etc.
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: My major point was if you get all your information from the catholic encyclopedia then some things would be wrong. Not teachings but things like current fasting rules etc.
True. For those who aren't away, the Catholic Encyclopedia available on newadvent.org was published in 1917. It is an excellent resource for matters of the faith; however, any references to disciplinary law, liturgical practices, and other areas that are subject to change are quite dated.

Sep 10th 2013 new
Oh, bummer! Why so? I still say some good ole' stuff... now I have to go back and verify?! Somebody send me a copy of the current version, pleeeeeease :)
Sep 10th 2013 new
book on indulgenced prayers that is... the other part I get...
Sep 10th 2013 new
I believe the essential text is at the Vatican website.
Sep 10th 2013 new
Thanks Tim! I am getting lazy... or just too busy :)
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) John-879088 said: Not only the French Revolution, but many incidents such as the bloody takeover of Portugal with many killings of priests and nuns as well as the burning and destruction of many convents, churches Catholic 'Pillars f the Community' at the same time the Apparitions of Fatima tool place. Read about it for those that don't believe! Note, I am the 'Other John' in Tempe, Arizona !

P.S. 'Jesus, We trust in You!'
From what I've read, they are a para-military organization. Is that correct?
Posts 41 - 50 of 82