Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Dec 11th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: but the age old question is...'Where do you draw the line?'

if u reallllly wanna be cautious there are burkhas available.
Tom, this is not even funny. You are how old? Come on man, you know better. I realize you are joking, but this is a serious issue.

Modesty is a VIRTUE, not something to mock. It's especially important because it protects, as Bernadette eloquently pointed out, the virtue of PURITY, without which, one cannot enter Heaven.(Revelation 21:27). So if one has lost it to any degree, start working on those two virtues. Modesty is to be practiced by decorum overall: speech, actions, dress, company that you keep, recreations that you choose, etc.
Dec 11th 2013 new
Tom, when I asked, "you are how old", i meant it (just to clarify) by asking you to observe how society decays in every area with the decline of modesty in fashions.
Dec 11th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: Sorry, but I disagree with watering down the truth in the name of false charity. Our Lord did not do that. Do you remember what he said about the lukewarm? And noooo, not everyone is on the same path. There is one path and it is narrow. True charity is putting God who is TRUTH first, and out of love of GOD we love our neighbor as ourselves.

laughing Not sure who or what are you addressing, Lynea?

What is important to me is the objective content (theTruth) of what is written is actually addressed and not some imaginary straw man.

I am a big fan of JPII, Pope Benedict XVI, and Pope Francis and have read most of their works. There is nothing "lukewarm" or "false charity"or "narrow" orm"watered down" about JPII's Dives in Misericordia Encyclical, Pope Benedict XVI' Encyclicals Deus Caritas Est and Caritas et Veritate and Pope Francis' recent Apostolic Exhortation, Evangelii Gaudium from which I directly drew my brief remarks about the necessity to present the truth with mercy, charity, joy, and peace.

If you have not read these documents, I highly recommend each and every one of them.

After that, if you have problems with my necessarily brief summary or their wisdom, that is your perogative.

Dec 11th 2013 new
Re-reading your post I see that I mistook your meaning. Bow My apologies. sorry

My eyes begin to get sore when I'm on here too long. (me ---> eyepopping)

Yes, I've read those encyclicals.

You were responding to my response, which was a response to Larry, responding to Judy.

So I'm confused; are you implying something about my response to Larry responding to Judy? Really? My comment wasn't just directed to Larry, but the who attitude in general that says we shouldn't discuss our faith if it hurts other's feelings, regardless of what anyone is supporting.

You mentioned you had not read my post, but I assumed you at least made the inference off of something you read from my post. That's just odd. I'm not sure why you made that point.

Dec 11th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: Tom, when I asked, "you are how old", i meant it (just to clarify) by asking you to observe how society decays in every area with the decline of modesty in fashions.
what is modest today(i mean modest according to lynea) would be scandalous in other eras.
while u r correct i was adding a bit of humor to the mix--i was trying to get the point across that
there is no exact point where a womans dress becomes modest or immodest. that is a matter of opinion.
of course some things are very obvious.
in some african societies women walk around topless. and i would highly doubt that these tribes are more permiscuous than modern western societies.they are very likely much more conservative in matters of sex.

a woman today can have a dress above the knee length as part of a modest wardrobe.-While in victorian times
she would be called all sorts of names.

Dec 12th 2013 new
Actually, I was not talking about your opinion on modesty being something subjective.

And you know no idea how I dress, and whether or not if people find it scandalous. I can tell you, modesty is a scandal for many people. But, like the late, great Vulnerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen used to say, "Wrong is wrong if nobody is right, and right is right if everybody is wrong."

Objectively, modest dress comes from remembering the concept of clothing. The word "Clothe" infers that you conceal for a proper presentation, so if I am doing just that, things that have to do with what is out of propriety --- that have to with sexual parts, for example, ought to be concealed and not advertised. Sheer fabric, tight clothing (unless it is an under-layer, like underwear), low-cut tops, short skirts, and a whole bunch of other things I won't go into are immodest. But I suggest you start another thread on this. A lot of people aren't ready to hear that there are objective standards on this once presented by the Church, that I happen to follow.

Dec 12th 2013 new
(quote) Jillian-1014035 said: Excellent perspective here too! I firmly believe this....and know this to be true....st augustine would once have selected no to premarital sex don't you think.....

it it is good to be kind with correction and evangelization at all times.....this is certainly the way of Christ......saints font always happen over night.....and Faith is a pilgrimage......
St. Augustine would not have accepted the teaching before his Baptism when he followed the Manichaeism, but after his Baptism, he certainly accepted it: he broke it off with his concubine and sent her away.
Dec 12th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: CM is to me an even more polarized hodge podge of "Sloppy Agape" and "Frozen Chosen" extremes than my own parish. 
Take comfort, for "many are cold but few are frozen."
Dec 12th 2013 new
(quote) Lynea-297530 said: Re-reading your post I see that I mistook your meaning. My apologies.

My eyes begin to get sore when I'm on here too long. (me ---> )

Yes, I've read those encyclicals.

You were responding to my response, which was a response to Larry, responding to Judy.

So I'm confused; are you implying something about my response to Larry responding to Judy? Really? My comment wasn't just directed to Larry, but the who attitude in general that says we shouldn't discuss our faith if it hurts other's feelings, regardless of what anyone is supporting.

You mentioned you had not read my post, but I assumed you at least made the inference off of something you read from my post. That's just odd. I'm not sure why you made that point.

Hi Lynea,

I think we are back on the same page. I just thought I sensed triage with a chainsaw...

I have recently been looking at the sexual issues revolving around truth and morals (orthodoxy) differently, even on CM. More like a nurse, physician, or EMT in a M.A.S.H. (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital; sitcom) unit. sad laughing In fact, CM could be called "Catholic M.A.S.H...".

Our bros and sis are freshly wounded from the battle field of the sexes (and exes). And, they are just sensitive in some spots. So, I'm less concerned about hurting someone's prideful feelings -- -- who doesn't have one or more of these? -- but their real experience of loss, grief, disappointment, self-recrimination and shame in their broken hearts. Most are already probably a bit embarrassed about being here on CM in the first place. I know I am. With ALL of my family and friends long married with kids....

So, for me, it is like being a priest in a Confessional. The fact that anyone is on CM -- already puts them halfway home and deserving of respect, if not outright admiration. Some have already dragged themselves from the bar scene (or even more unlikely places to find lasting love) and are vulnerable and humbled enough. I don't feel the need to rub salt in anyone's open wounds as they reconnect the stars dancing around after bumping into the Church walls outside. If they are good willed they will see how the 7/7 etc. are not 7 prison bars against personal freedom, but actually 7 flying buttresses holding up a majestic cathedral that, once inside, will protect what they desire most -- A flourishing fruitful love affair that lasts forever.

(Please humor me...but I have to go whimsical. It just occurred to me that the top security prison in the TV series, "Walking Dead" actually became later the safest sanctuary in the Apocalyptic Zombie world...the very same walls that kept the bad boys inside became the walls that protected the good guys from the chaos outside. You might be surprised I actually enjoy this series!)

I just want to hug these escapees from zombie land of brain sucking, heart breaking worldly relationships, bless them, assure them God loves them, is infinitely merciful, and has a huge wedding feast planned for them. All they need to do is continue to put one foot in front of the other, give themselves time to heal and feel alive again, see clearly how orthodoxy is their best man and bridesmaid and then its off to the altar!

Dec 12th 2013 new
(quote) Margaret-20183 said: Take comfort, for "many are cold but few are frozen."
laughing hug This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200