Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

May 19th 2013 new
(quote) Laura-824866 said: I thank you too! I was a bit down actually because it seems like several people I've told my annulment was affirmed seem to think the right response, after congrats, is to say that the church is giving them out left & right, to anyone who asks. I don't want to hear that or think that. I put a lot of honesty & effort into mine & want to believe it was received and reviewed with the same gusto.
Laura, many people have misconceptions about divorce and the annulment process and they usually don't hesitate to make their views known. These comments may cause confusion scratchchin or confrontation. Sometimes it is just best to nod and say "hmmm..." In my case I don't want to confront unless I have the truth in hand because I don't like to misquote a source, etc. If you know in your heart that your decision was right and just, then that's all that matters. theheart May the Lord continue to bless you on your journey toward wholeness.
May 20th 2013 new
+1 Frank, for that awesome post!

You touched on something with such clarity that I had struggled with for years. Thank you for it!
May 20th 2013 new
(quote) Victoria-971917 said: Very insightful post, thank you. I have been divorced for 20 years and have not thought about annulment until now. I am still single ,I would just like to be free to marry in a Catholic Church.
I have re discovered my Roman Catholic 'roots' again, after being away for a very long time. I ,sometimes, feel odd at my Parish.
I am not seeking annulment because I have someone to marry ,quite the contrary I am 'very' single. I have been for a long time and I feel it is time that changes. Hence, my presence here. I hope God helps me find a life companion. I find it odd that the 'free to marry' on my profile is 'no'.:(
Bravo Victoria! I applaud your decision, and whatever the outcome, you are on the path to God. I too had obtained mine when not at all in a relationship or eye on another. It is the least confusing and without risk of disappointment. Once you complete the process you will feel such a burden lifted, I am sure.
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) Victoria-971917 said: Very insightful post, thank you. I have been divorced for 20 years and have not thought about annulment until now. I am still single ,I would just like to be free to marry in a Catholic Church.
I have re discovered my Roman Catholic 'roots' again, after being away for a very long time. I ,sometimes, feel odd at my Parish.
I am not seeking annulment because I have someone to marry ,quite the contrary I am 'very' single. I have been for a long time and I feel it is time that changes. Hence, my presence here. I hope God helps me find a life companion. I find it odd that the 'free to marry' on my profile is 'no'.:(
No need to feel "odd" about coming back to the Church, Victoria. Quite the opposite -- you and the other Church members and priests there should rejoice. You no doubt recall the parable of the Lost Sheep, and the efforts made to find the lost animal.

To be free to marry in the Church, you will have to attempt the annulment process. In the meantime, the correct response to "free to marry" in the Church is "No". Annulments are not guaranteed; not everyone who applies is granted one. That's the problem with delaying the request.

While many do postpone for personal reasons -- not wanting to relive and recall the sordid details, as an example, it will need to be done at some point if a person wants to be able to be married in the Catholic Church. Problems with waiting are obvious -- witnesses whose statements might be needed cannot be located; memories fade and important details can be forgotten; some witnesses might no longer be willing or able to present their statements; others may have passed away, making contact impossible.

The annulment process is widely misunderstood, particularly by non-Catholics who view it as the Catholic form of a divorce. Catholics themselves oftentimes don't understand the true meaning of an annulment. The best place to start is with your pastor or parish priest. He can guide you to the proper Church officials, and offer you spiritual support in the meantime.

We hope this will work out for you.
May 21st 2013 new
Three thumbs up for that explanation, Ray. Well said!!!

shhh

Yes, I have two thumbs on my left hand...
May 21st 2013 new
scratchchin Why does this lets me use only one (and done)?

May 21st 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Three thumbs up for that explanation, Ray. Well said!!!

Yes, I have two thumbs on my left hand...
Thanks, John....

Keep in mind that some people are all thumbs..... rolling eyes laughing
May 21st 2013 new
I was emphatically told my a friend that his bro in law 'bought' his annulment since it came so quickly -- and he wouldn't believe me that that is not how it's done.
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I was emphatically told my a friend that his bro in law 'bought' his annulment since it came so quickly -- and he wouldn't believe me that that is not how it's done.
Rachel -- that's a prime example of how the annulment process is grossly misunderstood.

While no case is an absolute slam-dunk, there are some that come pretty darn close. With some procedures, the facts are so obvious that the tribunal doesn't need to spend much time to make its determination. The time element should have nothing to do with the thought of "buying" an annulment.
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) Ray-566531 said: Thanks, John....

Keep in mind that some people are all thumbs.....
laughing again, three thumbs up!
A confession: all my feet are left feet! shhh

Posts 11 - 20 of 45