Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

I know all of us widows and widowers had great marriages, it's a big part of the reason I'm on here looking for another spouse and I'm sure it's one of your reasons as well. But what are those things you wish you might have had in your previous marriage that you would seek/or do differently this time?

Here's mine:
1) This time I want someone Catholic! My husband was agnostic but had an (almost) deathbed conversion. Talk about cutting it close. This time I want someone who will challenge me and help me grow in my faith.

2) I realize all those times I could have sacrificed a little more of myself to increase his happiness or let him know through action just how deeply loved and appreciated he was. The next time, I vow to do better!

What are yours?

May 11 new

I fear that "next time" I will be less willing to compromise on small things (I want to be very flexible, but living alone I haven't had to consider another's preferences).

What I will do differently...I will have a calendar and each day of the week will be marked with a phrase to remind me to:

- Cherish George.
- Surprise George.
- Comfort George.
- Pray for George.
- Encourage George.
- Protect George.
- Love George.

Now, all I have to do is find a man named George. scratchchin

laughing

May 11 new
I like that Marge!
May 15 new

I would like a man that doesn't drink alcohol.....booze is a killer....

May 15 new

I will take time to insist on a couples only vacation. I never had one day--yes, you read right, where Phil and I went away without our children. I don't intend to sit at home watching TV. I want to do. I will gladly try new things if he is willing to do the same. :)

May 15 new
I think I would say what is in my heart more. We were just so compatible that we knew what the other was thinking most of the time. Chats came easily but talking about the intimate stuff was not easy for him. Maybe if we had done that more it would have gotten easier. But I could always write it, and did for special occasions. I think now I really know how fleeting life can be. I would be more verbal about the serious stuff.
May 15 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I fear that "next time" I will be less willing to compromise on small things (I want to...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I fear that "next time" I will be less willing to compromise on small things (I want to be very flexible, but living alone I haven't had to consider another's preferences).

What I will do differently...I will have a calendar and each day of the week will be marked with a phrase to remind me to:

- Cherish George.
- Surprise George.
- Comfort George.
- Pray for George.
- Encourage George.
- Protect George.
- Love George.

Now, all I have to do is find a man named George.

--hide--

I've thought about this a lot, especially since I've been craving the familiarity that I had with Bob. We were so comfortable together. If anything, I think that the next time around I'd like to be closer in personality. My husband and I were polar opposites and really spirited. It made for some lively arguments. I would much prefer harmony at this stage of the game.

Marge, I had to laugh about your George. I need to find a Robinson. My daughter had ordered a Christmas ornament for me with an eagle and my favorite Bible verse on the front. On the back was scribed "Robinson Family Reunion 2024." She didn't order the name but we found it to be really funny and possibly prophetic. So, my next husband will have to be a Robinson.

May 17 new
I took so much forgranted the first time around, and boy was I wrong. I remarried thinking most men were like my first husband, and I could not have been more wrong.

If there is a next time, I would let him know how much I aprreciated him.

May 17 new
Marge you can call him George as a pet name and an inside joke... maybe he'll call you Georgette!
May 20 new
I would enjoy each day more with my new love. In my marriage I was so busy worrying about work, worrying about the kids, worrying about cleaning the house. I remember so many times Dave asking me to sit down and watch T.V. with him. I would say "I will be right there after I ..." and the evening would be over and I hadn't spent time with him. I was always looking to our future when we would have time...and that future never came. I definitely would put that other person first much more often. hug

Posts 1 - 10 of 29