Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

policies at work, who knew?

May 12th 2013 new

Throughout my career with the school board I never have had an AP tell me I had to take a leave due to missing a week of work. Apparently, I made several errors in "her book" during that week. Her major problems are that I didn't call her directly to tell her I was sick and that no sub came in for me most of the week. when I am sick, the routine is for me to call it in with the school board and then to say I need a sub. I did that everyday. Not realizing that she was expecting me to call her has made a huge mess in this situation. I had strep and pneumonia all last week. I did have the bookkeeper tell the office and principals I was ill. The AP wants me to know she is the boss and no one else should know my business. is that really fair?

On thursday of this week I got a call from the office manager, who spoke so polite and was so out of character. So, I called her back on Friday. I was reamed into by the AP so much so that I was in shock. I had no idea I did anything wrong. She ended our conversation by telling me to bring in all the paperwork from the doctor and then we'll see what she's going to do. Really? I am going to have to call benefits to see what the apparent new policy is on taking days when I'm getting docked. The thing about this is that when I knew I was going to have to take days w/o pay I asked the office manager what I had to do. She said nothing, I would be docked and that was it. So, I figured that if I had to be out then it was Okay but apparently not. I am dreading going in on Monday to face the AP (aka wicked witch). I will be apologetic to both her and the principal and hopefully they will get off my back. I need prayers for this situation. there are only two weeks of work left before our summer break. I am still in shock that it had to end this way.

Maybe the policies have changed w/o me knowing. I am making others aware of this situation though so that it will never happen to them. I also am going to investigate and get a copy of the policy to review. I may have to file a grievance after the way the AP spoke to me too.

just curious for those of you in business, what is your policy on absenses w/o pay?

May 12th 2013 new
Prayers
May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Connie-17641 said: Throughout my career with the school board I never have had an AP tell me I had to take a leave d...
(Quote) Connie-17641 said:

Throughout my career with the school board I never have had an AP tell me I had to take a leave due to missing a week of work. Apparently, I made several errors in "her book" during that week. Her major problems are that I didn't call her directly to tell her I was sick and that no sub came in for me most of the week. when I am sick, the routine is for me to call it in with the school board and then to say I need a sub. I did that everyday. Not realizing that she was expecting me to call her has made a huge mess in this situation. I had strep and pneumonia all last week. I did have the bookkeeper tell the office and principals I was ill. The AP wants me to know she is the boss and no one else should know my business. is that really fair?

On thursday of this week I got a call from the office manager, who spoke so polite and was so out of character. So, I called her back on Friday. I was reamed into by the AP so much so that I was in shock. I had no idea I did anything wrong. She ended our conversation by telling me to bring in all the paperwork from the doctor and then we'll see what she's going to do. Really? I am going to have to call benefits to see what the apparent new policy is on taking days when I'm getting docked. The thing about this is that when I knew I was going to have to take days w/o pay I asked the office manager what I had to do. She said nothing, I would be docked and that was it. So, I figured that if I had to be out then it was Okay but apparently not. I am dreading going in on Monday to face the AP (aka wicked witch). I will be apologetic to both her and the principal and hopefully they will get off my back. I need prayers for this situation. there are only two weeks of work left before our summer break. I am still in shock that it had to end this way.

Maybe the policies have changed w/o me knowing. I am making others aware of this situation though so that it will never happen to them. I also am going to investigate and get a copy of the policy to review. I may have to file a grievance after the way the AP spoke to me too.

just curious for those of you in business, what is your policy on absenses w/o pay?

--hide--
Praying Praying Praying theheart (Good Luck) Hope you hang in there & everythin work's out until summer break!!

May 12th 2013 new

Praying Praying

May 12th 2013 new

Connie,

I am so sorry this happened to you. Prayers of course. She could have handled this in a far less upsetting way and it was unprofessional of her to handle it in the manner she did. Hang in there. Be contrite and keep your cool :-).

May 12th 2013 new

Another forum asked what delights us ... the opposite (dismay?) for me is this sort of situation. When I see or hear of a situation so lacking in compassion, I feel struck through the heart as I'm sure you are feeling. I pray you strength; and may the Our Lord send His Holy Spirit to soften the bitter hearts of those administrators.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Connie-17641 said: Throughout my career with the school board I never have had an AP tell me I had to take a leave d...
(Quote) Connie-17641 said:

--hide--
This is beyond the scope of prayer and support -- it calls for both, plus other elements.

You're on the right track to finding out about the official policy about absences. For this reason, it will be necessary to obtain or at least view the written policy of the school board. That's the key as far as pay is concerned. At the time you were hired, you should have been given an employes' guide, or handbook, outlining essential policies regarding conduct, etc. Did you receive such a document from the school board or the HR office?

You DID notify the board of your absence due to illness. If that's what is required, you have a valid argument. If more notifications are required, you will be facing difficulties. Offhand, it seems unusual that more than one office would have to be contacted as a matter of necessity.

As a courtesy, you could have made additional calls, but that's a departure from what might be required. If it's the school board that must be notified of an absence, you have complied with the official policy. How effective is communication between the board and individual school personnel? Is an absence reported by the board immediately or at least promptly or timely? If there is a time lag, then the AP might have a legitimate personal gripe, but not necessarily an official one that would involve your being penalized. It goes back to official policy. If you met the requirements, it should be up to the principal or school board member to explain this to the AP. After all, if you are sick, it would be difficult to make a series of calls. That would only add to the stress.

In the meantime, let us offer..... Praying

May 12th 2013 new

hug Praying rosary

May 12th 2013 new

hug Praying

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: This is beyond the scope of prayer and support -- it calls for both, plus other elements. Yo...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

This is beyond the scope of prayer and support -- it calls for both, plus other elements.

You're on the right track to finding out about the official policy about absences. For this reason, it will be necessary to obtain or at least view the written policy of the school board. That's the key as far as pay is concerned. At the time you were hired, you should have been given an employes' guide, or handbook, outlining essential policies regarding conduct, etc. Did you receive such a document from the school board or the HR office?

You DID notify the board of your absence due to illness. If that's what is required, you have a valid argument. If more notifications are required, you will be facing difficulties. Offhand, it seems unusual that more than one office would have to be contacted as a matter of necessity.

As a courtesy, you could have made additional calls, but that's a departure from what might be required. If it's the school board that must be notified of an absence, you have complied with the official policy. How effective is communication between the board and individual school personnel? Is an absence reported by the board immediately or at least promptly or timely? If there is a time lag, then the AP might have a legitimate personal gripe, but not necessarily an official one that would involve your being penalized. It goes back to official policy. If you met the requirements, it should be up to the principal or school board member to explain this to the AP. After all, if you are sick, it would be difficult to make a series of calls. That would only add to the stress.

In the meantime, let us offer.....

I have been there 28 years. I did my part by calling in my absence each day and followed the rules to the tee where asking for a sub. She is holding it over my head that no sub showed up for several days. When teachers are absent and no sub shows up, they have to combine classes and it is hard on everyone. when support personel are out, it makes it hard on everyone who has cafeteria duty. I fall into the latter since I am a teacher assistant. She had to bring in other support team members to take my place or she had to have the duty herself, which is why I suspect she is angry. I was very sick, even the doctor wanted me to go to the ER to be admitted to get antiobiotics in IV form. you know, the admin. I work with do not have compassion toward the sick at all. Several teachers have been admitted to the hospital w/o even one call from the principal. those teachers have since left the school. we had over 30 leave last summer. I tried but couldn't get another school. Believe me, I will get something else for next year. in the meantime, I have to deal with this tomorrow.

--hide--

Posts 1 - 10 of 43