Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 13th 2013 new

On a slightly random note, is Islam so very popular in Europe?? When I was there last year, my best friend (of France)- a very staunch Catholic from a very good family, told me the sad tale of her elder sister who had run away with a Muslim guy and was probably practicing Islam. It's so sad.. after fighting to keep Islam contained in the Crusades, etc, it begins to overrun us.

May 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comi...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

Anyone dealing with someone close to live leaving the church for another religion? Bonus comisery points if your loved one has "reverted" to Islam.

I've found myself in a very touchy situation where I accidently found about my sister's conversion on Twitter and have decided to respect her decision to not tell my parents until she is financially stable.

Prayers are welcome, as are suggestions for books for my own reading pleasure and knowledge about Islam's teachings. Bonus points if you have dealt with a similar situation and have solid advice.

Please don't tell me how terrible a daughter I am for not telling my parents...I have talked this over with a trusted priest and believe this is the best way to love my sister at this moment.

--hide--

Dear friend,

I wonder how she plans to keep it a secret if she's posted it on Twitter? I think your desire to protect your sister is very good, you are far from a terrible daughter. As the time progresses you may find yourself in uncomfortable conversations, but you seem kind and mature. I'm sure you will handle it.

I found this video I wanted to share with you: www.youtube.com The speakers are Scott Hahn and cohorts from Steubenville University. They are solid Catholics. They are discussing Islam and it may provide some point of reference. Are you comfortable asking your sister about her "conversion"? Of course, you and she are in my prayers.

In Christ,

Leyden

May 14th 2013 new

I know a few people who have left the Church, and I never understand why. The first couple I witnessed doing this were very devout Catholics, wonderful couple, wonderful children. For some reason they were drawn into one of those foot stomping preachers who liked to make fun of the Catholic Church, and eventually this couple left the Church. Interestingly, that is when all of the trouble started within their family unit -- problems with the children, with the husband -- everything just started falling apart for them. I saw their names appear frequently on the police blotter and I was always shocked at the allegations. They have since moved out of the area and we are no longer in contact, but I would hope and pray that they found their way back to the Church that they loved so deeply at one time. I also have a family member who left the Church and a close friend who goes occasionally but has negative opinions. I often wonder what makes these people stray. They of course never have a clear reason. It makes me sad, though.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Leyden-904885 said: Dear friend, I wonder how she plans to keep it a secret if she's posted ...
(Quote) Leyden-904885 said:

Dear friend,

I wonder how she plans to keep it a secret if she's posted it on Twitter? I think your desire to protect your sister is very good, you are far from a terrible daughter. As the time progresses you may find yourself in uncomfortable conversations, but you seem kind and mature. I'm sure you will handle it.

I found this video I wanted to share with you: www.youtube.com The speakers are Scott Hahn and cohorts from Steubenville University. They are solid Catholics. They are discussing Islam and it may provide some point of reference. Are you comfortable asking your sister about her "conversion"? Of course, you and she are in my prayers.

In Christ,

Leyden

--hide--

That's an awesome video Leyden! Thanks so much :)

She posted it in Arabic, and I was bored one of my first weeks in Gdansk and started translating some of her tweets.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-971976 said: I know a few people who have left the Church, and I never understand why. The first couple I wit...
(Quote) Sharon-971976 said:

I know a few people who have left the Church, and I never understand why. The first couple I witnessed doing this were very devout Catholics, wonderful couple, wonderful children. For some reason they were drawn into one of those foot stomping preachers who liked to make fun of the Catholic Church, and eventually this couple left the Church. Interestingly, that is when all of the trouble started within their family unit -- problems with the children, with the husband -- everything just started falling apart for them. I saw their names appear frequently on the police blotter and I was always shocked at the allegations. They have since moved out of the area and we are no longer in contact, but I would hope and pray that they found their way back to the Church that they loved so deeply at one time. I also have a family member who left the Church and a close friend who goes occasionally but has negative opinions. I often wonder what makes these people stray. They of course never have a clear reason. It makes me sad, though.

--hide--

This seems to be a common element - a staunch Catholic starts to fall under the influence of a person or persons who mock, ridicule and denounce the Catholic Church. This has happened in my own family, and the vitriolic anti-Catholic propaganda started to seep in, and my own relatives began to spew it. It started with their "education" in a university. The feminist / atheist professors had an agenda, my relatives began to listen these "educated" people with their extreme views, and in order to please the professors because they wanted to obtain their education, they began to parrot those extreme views. They were brainwashed into going against their own religion.

I firmly believe in freedom of expression and academic freedom, but like all other rights, these are not absolute. Some of the anti-Catholic vitriol is so warped, it borders on hate literature.

The abuse scandals and how those were handled have damaged the moral authority of Church, so there is not just one cause for anti-Catholic sentiment. Leadership in the Church should have more strongly denounced abusers and defrocked them, not covered up for them. That has hurt Catholics in the eyes of non-Catholics. We live in the twenty-first century, media is 24/7 and widely accessible. The stories of cover-ups were uncovered, and it made the Church look worse than if the leadership just dealt with the problems the right way to begin with.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: On a slightly random note, is Islam so very popular in Europe?? When I was there last year, my...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

On a slightly random note, is Islam so very popular in Europe?? When I was there last year, my best friend (of France)- a very staunch Catholic from a very good family, told me the sad tale of her elder sister who had run away with a Muslim guy and was probably practicing Islam. It's so sad.. after fighting to keep Islam contained in the Crusades, etc, it begins to overrun us.

--hide--

I'm not sure about a faith being popular, but globalization certainly has changed things. We can travel from one end of the world to the other in a day, and immigration brings people from all sides of the globe to different places.

The young lady in Boston who married the marathon bomber apparently was a Christian who converted to Islam when she married him.

On a side note, I live in a city where there is a substantial population of practising Muslims. It is a rather closed community, and they frown on marrying outside the faith.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: I'm not sure about a faith being popular, but globalization certainly has changed th...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

I'm not sure about a faith being popular, but globalization certainly has changed things. We can travel from one end of the world to the other in a day, and immigration brings people from all sides of the globe to different places.

The young lady in Boston who married the marathon bomber apparently was a Christian who converted to Islam when she married him.

On a side note, I live in a city where there is a substantial population of practising Muslims. It is a rather closed community, and they frown on marrying outside the faith.

--hide--

Marriage in Islam is one of my many issues with the religion. Men can marry outside of the religion, but women can't because they believe that children are whatever religion their father is. It's kind of the same principle in Catholic marriages, where the nonCatholic spouse has to agree to raise the children in Catholicism, except that nonMuslim spouse can only ever be female.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Yes. It was shocking to me when my best friend, who was a devout Catholic and staunch defend...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Yes. It was shocking to me when my best friend, who was a devout Catholic and staunch defender of the faith, became dispondent and left the Catholic Church for a Christian Church. She was the last person I thought would ever leave the Catholic church and turn her back on and take her kids away from the blessed sacrament.

What's worst is that I am Godmother, through baptism, to two over her children. So, where does that leave me and my commitment? I made a vow to help her raise her two children (and really all of them in my heart) in the Catholic faith and I took that very seriously.

I also had to seek council from my Pastor. My Pastor and I feel that she will return one day, but I feel she is confusing and harming her kids spiritually in the meantime, especailly since they've been baptised in her new church. I really thought her oldest daughter, now a teenage, had a vocation as a nun. It hurts so much that they are away from the Eucharist.

All we can do if pray for them until they return to the faith, and they will. Have faith.

--hide--
"...and left the Catholic Church for a Christian Church." I know you didn't mean it that way, but this is a common view of some Christian fundies who say 'Catholics and Christians', instead of 'Catholics and other Christians.'

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Sheila-953093 said: This past Saturday one of my granddaughters received her First Communion. The deacon asked that ...
(Quote) Sheila-953093 said:

This past Saturday one of my granddaughters received her First Communion. The deacon asked that non-Catholics not approach to receive the Eucharist but if anyone would like to receive a blessing they should approach with arms crossed across their chest and the priest would recognize this as a signal to administer a special blessing. My sister, who has been away from the Catholic Church for over 35 years and would not even enter a Catholic Church until Saturday, asked if she could follow me up to Communion so that she could receive this blessing. I was both shocked and thrilled that she was choosing to do this and maybe to melt a little. I'm trying not to read too much into her choice to do this. I very vividly remember my own return to the Catholic Church after 20 years of being away. The first step is the hardest! I pray that the second step for her will be sooner than another 35 years. We are not a family that talks much about "the big things" so she and I have not discussed her abrupt and angry exit many years ago. In her mind it happened and it was her problem to deal with...not ours! What happened for us on Saturday was her way of talking to me without any discussions.

--hide--

I went to my first Easter service earlier this year. Though there was no verbal mention of the deacon asking non-Catholics to not receive, it was in the bulletin. I was disappointed because this was a missed opportunity. "We invite you to join us" simply isn't good enough. A better way to handle closed Communion: "The Eucharist is for Catholics only. Feel free to come to the dark side and join us, though. We have cookies! Join us and you can partake next year!"

Heh, just trying to lighten the mood a bit. This thread saddens me. Over the past two years I've grown more fond and even protective of the Church, and that was before I was even convicted to convert! Seeing how often conversion runs in the other direction is definitely sad.

Let us pray to the Lord for prodigals to come home. I've got two Protestant friends happy to attend mass with me now. I feel like a stealth missionary, almost. I know all too well what those who leave the Church are giving up, and what crap deal they're getting in return.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: This seems to be a common element - a staunch Catholic starts to fall under the infl...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

This seems to be a common element - a staunch Catholic starts to fall under the influence of a person or persons who mock, ridicule and denounce the Catholic Church. This has happened in my own family, and the vitriolic anti-Catholic propaganda started to seep in, and my own relatives began to spew it. It started with their "education" in a university. The feminist / atheist professors had an agenda, my relatives began to listen these "educated" people with their extreme views, and in order to please the professors because they wanted to obtain their education, they began to parrot those extreme views. They were brainwashed into going against their own religion.

I firmly believe in freedom of expression and academic freedom, but like all other rights, these are not absolute. Some of the anti-Catholic vitriol is so warped, it borders on hate literature.

The abuse scandals and how those were handled have damaged the moral authority of Church, so there is not just one cause for anti-Catholic sentiment. Leadership in the Church should have more strongly denounced abusers and defrocked them, not covered up for them. That has hurt Catholics in the eyes of non-Catholics. We live in the twenty-first century, media is 24/7 and widely accessible. The stories of cover-ups were uncovered, and it made the Church look worse than if the leadership just dealt with the problems the right way to begin with.

--hide--
hello Angela!

I am replying to the last sentence of your post. You mentioned about the scandals and the mess (ok, mess are my words. :) but you know like

Rosalind Moss (a Jewish convert and EWTN fav' who is now becoming a nun and started her own order) said "I knew I was in the right church when I

saw the scandals of the boys, the priests, homosexuality, ect., because the devil is always going to go after what is HOLY". We don't see the media

tearing apart The Calvary chapal. We don't see Our Holy Mother Church being protected in any way by the media or even some Catholics for that

matter. She is always portrayed as this big oppressive institution. "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it". I am so sorry when people in the

church go to another....denomination. I would not betray Her, I hope. Praying . to betray The Most Blessed Sacrament is to betray Our

Lord Himself I had my conversion back to the church over 10 years and by the GRACE of God had not left Her even when I was not a true Catholic.

People leave because they don't know what they had in the first place. And let's face it...going to Calvary chapel or wherever, is about you and you

being "entertained" it's not about reverance, Adoration and the Sacaraments. You get out of the mass what you bring to it... and I have heard many

times people saying "oh the homily was boring, the priest was boring, there was nothing going on afterward...no fellowship, ie; coffe and donuts.

They say they weren't being fed. I guess it wasn't The Word Himself. It was the coffee and donuts they needed...now they are "full". So very sad. I

pray that God always keeps me close to Him, His Church, The sacraments and his Most Holy Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity. It's all grace.

May God bless us all!!!

Posts 11 - 20 of 23