Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said: I worked in a nursery/garden store last year and I'm looking forward SO MUCH to a day whe...
(Quote) Stephanie-811058 said:

I worked in a nursery/garden store last year and I'm looking forward SO MUCH to a day when I have a house and can have my own garden :)

--hide--

I think it's the best perk to owning a home, Stephanie. There wasn't a single plant in the yard when I moved here. I have loved each new addition. Have you tried container gardening? There are some great ideas for growing things on your deck.

May 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Have you started planting or are you still in the planning stages? I have a friendship garden along my back fen...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Have you started planting or are you still in the planning stages? I have a friendship garden along my back fence and everything is donated/transplanted from my friends' gardens. I just added some Hen and Chicks on the sides of the irises. I also, sadly, have two trees to be removed from the backyard. Are there any creative suggestions on what to do with the stumps?

I'm looking forward to hearing about your green thumbs!

--hide--

Hi Kathy,

I would suggest you get them ground up and that way you can plant something else there in a year that will be beautiful. Like you, I have planted or transplanted everything on my yard. When I sit on my deck with a cup of coffee and look at my trees and yard, I am renewed in the beauty of nature. I love my flowering trees and the roses and plants, perennial flowers that come back every year are great.

My nephew and sister will be thinning their irises in the fall and I will be planting them against my neighbors fence for a treasure trove of color next spring. I can't wait. Life is precious in any form although I am deathly afraid of bees!

Eileen
May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I think it's the best perk to owning a home, Stephanie. There wasn't a single pla...

I think it's the best perk to owning a home, Stephanie. There wasn't a single plant in the yard when I moved here. I have loved each new addition. Have you tried container gardening? There are some great ideas for growing things on your deck.

--hide--

I would have to live somewhere long enough...as it is I spend too much time moving (4 different cities in the past 5 years!) to actually grow anything.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I think it's the best perk to owning a home, Stephanie. There wasn't a single pla...

--hide--

I would have to live somewhere long enough...as it is I spend too much time moving (4 different cities in the past 5 years!) to actually grow anything.

May 15th 2013 new

If you bring the strawberries I will supply the ice cream, what a way to eat, fresh food .

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Kathy, I would suggest you get them ground up and that way you can plant something e...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Hi Kathy,

I would suggest you get them ground up and that way you can plant something else there in a year that will be beautiful. Like you, I have planted or transplanted everything on my yard. When I sit on my deck with a cup of coffee and look at my trees and yard, I am renewed in the beauty of nature. I love my flowering trees and the roses and plants, perennial flowers that come back every year are great.

My nephew and sister will be thinning their irises in the fall and I will be planting them against my neighbors fence for a treasure trove of color next spring. I can't wait. Life is precious in any form although I am deathly afraid of bees!

Eileen
--hide--

I'm with you on all counts, Eileen. My favorite thing is to sit on my porch swing after the yard is mown and take in the beauty all around. I get such a lift from flowers and nature. We need our busy little bee friends to pollenate and keep things moving, but I'm not too fond when they come near me. I think I'm afraid they'll fly into my hair and never get out. LOL!

I am totally spoiled in that my next door neighbors are avid gardeners and share the bounty of their produce with us including delicious raspberries! I should probably have the stumps ground. It would be nice to have something new in place of them.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Dave-24315 said: If you bring the strawberries I will supply the ice cream, what a way to eat, fresh food .
(Quote) Dave-24315 said:

If you bring the strawberries I will supply the ice cream, what a way to eat, fresh food .

--hide--

Dave, you'd be right at home with our neighborhood potluck picnics!

May 15th 2013 new

It's been a really cold spring here in the Chicagoland area, though we usually don't put too much into the ground until after Mother's Day. I have strawberry plants that are just starting to enjoy the warmer weather these past few days. I have a bunch growing inside that I started from seed that will go in the ground Memorial Day weekend....lots of herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, and spinach. I will also plant onions, carrots, and potatoes. I usually love putting in a few pumpkins plants as well. I just love being a teacher and being able to tend to a garden over the summer.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: It's been a really cold spring here in the Chicagoland area, though we usually don't put ...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

It's been a really cold spring here in the Chicagoland area, though we usually don't put too much into the ground until after Mother's Day. I have strawberry plants that are just starting to enjoy the warmer weather these past few days. I have a bunch growing inside that I started from seed that will go in the ground Memorial Day weekend....lots of herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, and spinach. I will also plant onions, carrots, and potatoes. I usually love putting in a few pumpkins plants as well. I just love being a teacher and being able to tend to a garden over the summer.

--hide--

I can relate to the cold spring temps this year, Wendy. Your garden sounds wonderful. I can just imagine all that fresh goodness at the end of summer!

May 15th 2013 new

I love home grown tomatoes (lots of BLTs in our house during the summer months!) I have a small terrace area where I plant them, and in a few containers as well. I even do a couple of those hanging planter thingies - believe it or not - they really do work! I'm going to try my hand at a hanging strawberry planter this year, in addition to the cherry tomato one.

Our yard has a lot of terraces at different levels - I try to have 'color' here with various kinds of flowers blooming all the way from the daffodils in spring through the mums in the fall. rose Every year I plant a few more. This year my rose bushes are coming back like crazy!

However - I am as consistent with my planting / growing attempts as I am with my bowling and shooting pool attempts - one plant does great while the very next one is pathetic. My son used to say I had a black thumb, and anytime I'd bring home a new plant or flowers - he'd ask "What did those ever do to YOU!?" eyepopping rolling eyes

Posts 21 - 30 of 41