Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 16th 2013 new

I have planted everything including 4 new blueberry bushes. Unfortunately the rabbits are back and have stripped the leaves off my blueberry bushes and they will die. I know God made rabbits too but when they destroy your garden it is impossible to appreciate them. The vegetables are doing well and it will be a good strawberry year.

On the stumps, they can be removed with chemicals or professionally ground down. Or you can use them. They make a comfortable stool or coffee table or place to put gardening tools. One more thing and I hope you have a sense of humor. If you have a male dog.... He will appreciate it - sort of a backyard fire hydrant.

May 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: I love home grown tomatoes (lots of BLTs in our house during the summer months!) I have a small te...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

I love home grown tomatoes (lots of BLTs in our house during the summer months!) I have a small terrace area where I plant them, and in a few containers as well. I even do a couple of those hanging planter thingies - believe it or not - they really do work! I'm going to try my hand at a hanging strawberry planter this year, in addition to the cherry tomato one.

Our yard has a lot of terraces at different levels - I try to have 'color' here with various kinds of flowers blooming all the way from the daffodils in spring through the mums in the fall. Every year I plant a few more. This year my rose bushes are coming back like crazy!

However - I am as consistent with my planting / growing attempts as I am with my bowling and shooting pool attempts - one plant does great while the very next one is pathetic. My son used to say I had a black thumb, and anytime I'd bring home a new plant or flowers - he'd ask "What did those ever do to YOU!?"

--hide--

Ok, BLT's, fresh garden salad, ice cream and strawberries. Ya gotta love summertime!

Your terraces sound lovely, Mary. I have my rose bushes in the front yard. They were too pretty yo keep to myself. My favorite is a coral rose. I'm always amazed at the perfection of each bud and blossom. You may have inspired me to try the hanging planters. I've been looking at them for years.

May 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Karen-856326 said: I have planted everything including 4 new blueberry bushes. Unfortunately the rabbits are back an...
(Quote) Karen-856326 said:

I have planted everything including 4 new blueberry bushes. Unfortunately the rabbits are back and have stripped the leaves off my blueberry bushes and they will die. I know God made rabbits too but when they destroy your garden it is impossible to appreciate them. The vegetables are doing well and it will be a good strawberry year.

On the stumps, they can be removed with chemicals or professionally ground down. Or you can use them. They make a comfortable stool or coffee table or place to put gardening tools. One more thing and I hope you have a sense of humor. If you have a male dog.... He will appreciate it - sort of a backyard fire hydrant.

--hide--

I'm sorry the rabbits are making mincemeat of your blueberries, Karen. Are there any Cmers that have a solution to keep them at bay?

I had to laugh at your stump idea. I imagined carving them into little fire hydrants and painting them red. My dog is female, so other than a good sniff, they wouldn't get they attention a good hydrant deserves.

May 16th 2013 new
I plant my garden on Memorial Day weekend, because it's too risky to plant things sooner!
May 16th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Ok, BLT's, fresh garden salad, ice cream and strawberries. Ya gotta love summertime!

Your terraces sound lovely, Mary. I have my rose bushes in the front yard. They were too pretty yo keep to myself. My favorite is a coral rose. I'm always amazed at the perfection of each bud and blossom. You may have inspired me to try the hanging planters. I've been looking at them for years.

The main thing with the hanging planters is to be sure they get plenty of direct sunlight. Water them every day esp in hot weather, and the moist heat is what helps them grow.

As for rabbits - I've always planted marigolds in and around my tomatoes and veggies - not sure if that is what is doing it, but I haven't had a problem. They (and other little critters) don't like the smell. Plant plenty of them, and pinch the stems off as they die so new can form. I scatter the pinched stems around plant bases for that extra "aromatherapy" kick. laughing .
May 16th 2013 new
thanks...good to be back
May 16th 2013 new
That's when I get my planter flowers, Margaret. I can find better deals :)
May 16th 2013 new
This spring Mom gave me some rosebush cuttings from a bush that belonged to my great-grandmother. It's the Seven Sisters variety! Mom has three of the bushes right by her front stoop and they are gorgeous when in full bloom. I have no idea what I'm doing but so far I haven't killed the cuttings and I've had them for six weeks!! There are green shoots and more coming! I've put them in a bucket full of dirt and rose plant food and put them on my balcony. From here on out lots of prayers will be required and lots of hope that they don't recognize who's doing the gardening!! wink I'm hoping, too, that ignorance will be bliss!!!
May 17th 2013 new
Hi, Sheila.

I remember when all my sisters wanted makeup for their 13th birthdays and I asked my grandma for a rose bush. I knew nothing about how to take care of it, but I planted it right out front and did my best. It gave me the 4 most beautiful flowers I could have ever wished for. The poor plant never survived the MN winter, but my love for roses has never diminished.

I wish you all the best in caring for your generational plant. (How cool is that!!!) Maybe you won't have to do much on your own. With all that history, they certainly come with good roots!
May 17th 2013 new
Thanks, Kathy, for your best wishes! I really hope that all goes well with these cuttings! The 'mother' bushes are in Northern IN and have been since their 'birth' many years ago so I'm really hoping that additional weather DNA will help, too, to keep them healthy here in VA. I love projects like this because if they work I feel so important and knowledgeable mischievous Right now with the cuttings going well and baby birds in my balcony wall I'm all set for the summer!!!!
Posts 31 - 40 of 41