Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: What on earth does that mean?And, who says?
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

What on earth does that mean?

And, who says?

--hide--

I've heard this said when a women has the beauty of a super model and the money of a supermodel, but the guy is an average looking guy and makes alot less than a super model.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-806727 said:I told him It's not what is important to me.
(Quote) Kate-806727 said:
I told him [..] It's not what is important to me.

--hide--

I can't speak for all men but if I was told that, I would be both overwhelmingly grateful and secretly doubtful. I would need a lot of reassurance. I think that's what "out of my league" often means.. although it's not just about money.. in the old days it would have been "can keep her in the style she is accustomed to.."

May 15th 2013 new
Matt, how I wish men didn't feel that way. I do have a master's degree, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't go out with or marry someone who graduated from high school and went to work. My father didn't finish 8th grade and was one of the most wonderful men I have ever known. My last degree was a dream of mine since I was 20. If you read my profile about my career and why I enjoy being a nurse maybe you (or any man) can get a glimpse of why I went back to school. I read men's profiles and look for depth- emotional, mental, spiritual maturity, a love for Holy Mother Church, and a relationship with Christ. It doesn't take a master's degree for that. Sometimes I wonder if I should be vague about what I do. I have read about women who have done that in online dating/match situations. But that would be dishonest... and I am not going down that road. I can only be myself!
May 15th 2013 new

A lot of bases have been covered here, with some good answers. I'd like to throw in a perspective/observation or two...

In years before I married, I told myself, or commented to a friend, or was told by a friend that a woman was "out of my league" until one day in college; I was at lunch with a roommate, and made such a comment, and he responded, "Why do you say that?" He went on to say that he knew some beautiful girls who seldom went out - or ended up out with jerks because decent guys like me (sic) wouldn't ask them out because they tell themselves that, so they end up with some creep (his words) because he was the only one who asked her.

I think we've all seen where a couple look rather "mis-matched"... a gorgeous woman with a plain to ... well, you know... (There, but for the Grace of God...) It would seem he may have been the only one who approached her! In years since, I have discovered that there have been studies (psychology/sociology) on this 'phenomenon'; and it applies to men and women BOTH! Somewhere in those studies was an acknowlegement that often this included a point where the women (or men) got fed up with the "jocks", etc. and would turn them down.

So! My approach (not so much yet... I'm still working on my annulment :), and my recommendation to all is: Pursue those who interest you, and don't fear rejection! It does't hurt to ask (politely)! Which was the second piece of advise given by my friend in college...

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Roy-964611 said: I can't speak for all men but if I was told that, I would be both overwhelmingly gratef...
(Quote) Roy-964611 said:

I can't speak for all men but if I was told that, I would be both overwhelmingly grateful and secretly doubtful. I would need a lot of reassurance. I think that's what "out of my league" often means.. although it's not just about money.. in the old days it would have been "can keep her in the style she is accustomed to.."

--hide--

At the time my ex-husband and I were dating, I was living with my ex-boyfriend's family and then moved into a small studio apartment because it was all that I could afford. I'm not (and am still not) big on eating out or spending lots of money. I went into the marriage at the age of 31 with Zero debt, including college loans. I got him a very nice watch as a wedding present, 65% off because the store was going out of business. The joke became that he deserved the best off the clearance rack. Do I deserve to be showered in diamonds and a trip around the world, absolutely. Do I expect it not at all.

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Story of my life in a song!
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Story of my life in a song!

--hide--

Oh, Peter and Tom, if I were a bit older I would be chasing you both around the block.................a couple of time! wink wink

May 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Roy-964611 said: I can't speak for all men but if I was told that, I would be both overwhelmingly grateful and secretl...
(Quote) Roy-964611 said:

--hide--

Roy, that saying is what fathers would ask perspective son in laws before they proposed! Funny, some sayings never go out of style.
May 15th 2013 new

Well, yeah. And if I ever have a daughter I expect to consider that most of her boyfriends are "not in her league" ;) The words change..

May 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: Oh, Peter and Tom, if I were a bit older I would be chasing you both around the block.......
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

Oh, Peter and Tom, if I were a bit older I would be chasing you both around the block.................a couple of time!

--hide--
But I would not be running! scratchchin laughing

May 15th 2013 new

Suzanne-

I feel for you. So many guys get caught up in this idea that if a woman is really good looking or well educated or rich or all three and they are lacking in one or more there is no way the woman would go out with him. What many men think is they need to provide a certain level of economic success and social prestige to measure up to he womans expectaions. When I present I remind guys that no matter how rich or awesome or sucessful they are there is some guy who is even more so! But there is one thing in the whole world that only you can give the woman who loves you: you. And, fortunately, that is the thing she loves you most for and wants from you most deeply.

Posts 21 - 30 of 49