Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 14 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: LOL, successful ad indeed! Sex sells! B...
(Quote) Mike-905381 said:

LOL, successful ad indeed! Sex sells!

But I'm not buying, Jerry's not buying, Ann's not buying, Reena's not buying. In this forum, they have a 33% success rate. That's a failure.

--hide--

then the ad fails in this demographic, except that the brand is remembered and discussed. Even negative attention is better than no attention.

I'd be interested in how many people fell away from Volkswagen with their horrible ads starring Brooke Shields for their Routan -- now those I found disturbing and distasteful.

www.youtube.com

May 14 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Even negative attention is better than no attention.
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Even negative attention is better than no attention.

--hide--

According to an Adweek Media/Harris Poll in 2010, more than one third of Americans will choose not to purchase a brand due to distasteful advertisements.

And I already put this out to my friends on Facebook! biggrin

May 14 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: According to an Adweek Media/Harris Poll in 2010, more than one third o...

According to an Adweek Media/Harris Poll in 2010, more than one third of Americans will choose not to purchase a brand due to distasteful advertisements.

And I already put this out to my friends on Facebook!

--hide--

I think it will depend on whether or not the viewer finds it humorous or not :-)

papers.ssrn.com

Did you also write to the company? It would be interesting to see their response.

May 14 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: According to an Adweek Media/Harris Poll in 2010, more than one third o...

And I already put this out to my friends on Facebook!

--hide--

It's a little bit ironic that their ad which was about missing an important aspect of tree house building, hence the need for an expert, is reflected in the company and its advertising execs to miss and important aspect when creating the ad -- that some might find it unacceptable in its view toward women. Perhaps they need different experts.

May 14 new

I posted on their Facebook page and was hoping for a reply, because they reply to almost every single comment. But then I saw that another person had also posted a complaint 20 hours prior to me. He received no response whatsoever. Based on the timing of his comment and others after his, I could see that the company chose to ignore his comment. I have never been a letter writer, but I might do so for this one. I just wasn't looking forward to hearing, "We're sorry you are offended . . ." I don't need any lip service.

May 14 new

It's real life -- boys will be boys. Getting the hose would be appropriate. Having "the talk" would also be appropriate. How many young boys have gotten the lecture from their mothers from what mom found under the mattress?

May 14 new

(Quote) Sharon-971976 said: It's real life.
(Quote) Sharon-971976 said:

It's real life.

--hide--

Correct, of course. I believe everyone was in consensus on that particular issue.

But Sharon, do you find a particular part of the commercial amusing or do you find it distasteful
?

May 15 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: I posted on their Facebook page and was hoping for a reply, because they reply to almost every sin...

I posted on their Facebook page and was hoping for a reply, because they reply to almost every single comment. But then I saw that another person had also posted a complaint 20 hours prior to me. He received no response whatsoever. Based on the timing of his comment and others after his, I could see that the company chose to ignore his comment. I have never been a letter writer, but I might do so for this one. I just wasn't looking forward to hearing, "We're sorry you are offended . . ." I don't need any lip service.

--hide--

Two years ago I complained about an ad for Carls Junior which was very sexually cahrged. I was very open and wrote to Carls and told them to stop insulting adult women and appealing to teen men. They had staged such sexual ads for several years. (They still do this now and then with bikini girls on the beach and they usually show someone eating their new burgers kind of in a sexual way- they have a new one out now for thei burbon burger which is not too bad). regarding the ads from two years back:I told them they were insulting us and making us angry. They seem to have improved since then. I would pursue it if I were you. Also Farmers Insurance has recently done a lot of very good ads that even end with a jingle as kind of a mental tagline. I imagine they are competing for attention. Write them as to this and don't let up. They will notice if you insist.

May 15 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: (Quote) Sharon-971976 said: It's real life. ...

Quote:
Sharon-971976 said:

It's real life.

Correct, of course. I believe everyone was in consensus on that particular issue.

But Sharon, do you find a particular part of the commercial amusing or do you find it distasteful
?

--hide--

At first it is amusing and remainds me of Sandlot and then it is distasteful because your mind wonders what exactly they see and who the human being is they are looking at.

May 15 new

(Quote) Mike-905381 said: (Quote) Sharon-971976 said: It's real life. ...

Quote:
Sharon-971976 said:

It's real life.

?

--hide--

Most of us do not see this scene as automatically distasteful. If the boys were a little older it might go toward that distaste more readily. If it was an adult male it would.

Posts 21 - 30 of 34