Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

May 16th 2013 new
Thank you, all. It is so nice to be free... to be able to move forward thanks to God's grace, and to finally be able to search members on the site!!

A new beginning, indeed! I'm apprehensive, but excited at the same time!!

Blessings,

Michael
May 16th 2013 new
Congratulations. I agree, it's a mixed bag of emotions but that just proves we are caring humans. I recently received word that my "lack of form" was approved and I see things so differently now. It came with many blessings. Good luck to you in your search for the "one".
May 16th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-780154 said: Praises!! I received my final annulment decision today... free to marry in the Church!Mixed emotions of sorrow (for my ex wife, and what could and SHOULD have been), and relief (that the church has found the grounds for divorce were legitimate, as terrible as divorce is.)22 months from filing to 2nd decision receipt. Over three years since separation, more than two since civil divorce, and still on a journey of rebuilding and discovery.Michael
Michael,

Congratulations on receivng your approval on your Declaration of Nullity.

My initial news was not good as mine was not approved. Then with persistence and lots of prayers, the Tribunal reviewed my petition again and with the help of a psychologist and an even bigger assist from the Lord, my initial denial was then approved. It may not work like that for everyone but I mentioned this to let everyone know even if disapproved, other options may exist.

Just as yourself, whether I ever remarry, once I got approved by the Regional Tribunal, I feel I am "right" with the church again.

Blessings and best wishes in your future, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

May 16th 2013 new
Michael, it's been a long time in coming. Congratulations and blessings for the road ahead. God love you!
May 17th 2013 new
Congrats!! Its a great feeling of relief!
God Bless, Helena
May 17th 2013 new
Congratulations
May 19th 2013 new
Wonderful to hear Michael, blessings on your journey
May 19th 2013 new
Congratulations, Michael. You are at a new phase in your life.
May 19th 2013 new
Congrats!!!

Please share with folks on here who don't understand that annulment is actually a GREAT, healing process!!! I have mine and am shocked at the volume of folks who are Catholic and believe the misinformation about it. I try to correct the record anytime I get a chance.

Now go find a great Catholic woman! :)
May 19th 2013 new
Susie, thank you for your reply. By the way, I grew up near where you live now, and would be OK with coming back home... :-) I'm a good ole Southeast Texas boy at heart.

Concerning the annulment process... It is very time consuming, yet cleansing, to go through the entire annulment process. In my case it began with meeting my church's annulment coordinator, who provided a 12-page questionnaire/petition for my attention. The petition dealt with all aspects of the marriage: my family background, the ex's family background, finances, intimacy, children/raising children, communication, etc. Going through the questionnaire took considerable effort, because it caused me to focus not only on her contributions to the demise of the marriage, but also mine. And, I don't care who you are, BOTH spouses are responsible for marital success or lack thereof.

They should make all couples considering marriage complete this thing before a priest will allow them to marry. As I've never been married in the Catholic church, maybe they already do. :-)

Witnesses for both parties are also desires for the process to work, and are asked to provide details regarding issues they saw in the marriage. Abuse? Lack of compatibility? Other issues? I believe they may have received the same questionnaire I was given, to help get them started.

The other spouse's input is requested as well. In my case, my ex wife is not Catholic and never has been. She is Protestant (believed not to be practicing) and believes I'm a wack job for converting to Catholicism after the divorce. My ex chose not to take part in the process (as far as I know).

My paperwork was submitted to the Diocese through my annulment coordinator in August of 2011, as I recall, and witnesses submitted theirs at some point around that time. My Diocese sent its decision a couple days before Easter this year, and I received the 2nd decision granting my annulment petition last week.

I had mixed feelings when the initial affirmative decision was received. Joy at the possibility of being permitted to find a lovely Catholic bride and to one day marry in the Church. Sorrow for what could/should have been, with my ex wife and with/for our children. There was little emotional reaction to the second decision, as it affirmed the first court's decision and I'd already dealt with the grief by the time the second decision arrived.

Today, I stand joyful and thankful for our Lord's grace. It seems as though finding someone even at my age (not still a kid, but still prime!), and building a family with children of our own, is so improbable...but here I am...single again and "back in the game" where there is at least hope. I will always lament what could have been, and feel sorry for my ex wife and children for my failures in the first marriage...but have learned a great deal about myself and have addressed those failures the past few years. Now is a time of renewal, focusing on growing in this new (to me) Catholic faith, and prayerfully seeking the joy that comes from finding the lifetime mate God has chosen for me.

Those who choose to pursue the annulment process are in for a long road, but one that will likely reap many rewards that will develop your faith as well as you (as a person) and you (as a potential future spouse.)

Michael

Posts 11 - 20 of 25