Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Not counting the enjoyment, what has the reading of fictional literature done for you? scratchchin
May 16th 2013 new
Expanded my vocabulary, improved my writing ability, and found me lost in magical lands!
May 16th 2013 new
(quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Expanded my vocabulary, improved my writing ability, and found me lost in magical lands!
Thanks for your reply.

I have heard that Konstanty Ildefons Galczynski is very good despite his tragic life. Have you read his poetry? I don't read Polish.

pl.wikipedia.org

www.kigalczynski.pl

May 16th 2013 new
I'm always amazed at how skilled an author can be to use words to create a person that seems so real and that we can feel for. Once I learned to read fiction I think I learned a bit about empathy because you get so used to seeing things from another person's perspective.

May 16th 2013 new
Despite the fact i don't believe it is necessary to be well rounded, it is always useful to know what all sides beliefs are. i'd say that fictional literature has assisted me in vocabulary usage and understanding, knowledge of difference of outlook culturally since every fiction is based on truth, and an ability to alter viewpoint to other individuals temporarily so i could see through their eyes (this especially when reading Japanese or Russian since i'm familiar enough with the cultural differences within America but not as much with these others).

It is said that everything has already been invented but can be used another way which i see as more possible the more we read.

Personally, i have an extensive library of Catholic, political (mostly from the John Birch Society bookstores, speakers, and websites referred), classical, mystery, and science fiction. It's been pretty easy to cull through the mystery and science fiction though to eliminate any unecessary literature since they tend to have potential of inappropriate content within so are not retainable on my personal shelves. i made a committment a long time ago, that if the books i own don't fit on the shelves i have, they or others would have to be sold/given away since i read so much that otherwise i could be buried from the volumes in a "death from burial by volumes" occurance which would not be productive.
May 16th 2013 new
(quote) Stephanie-811058 said: Expanded my vocabulary, improved my writing ability, and found me lost in magical lands!
As soon as I saw the topic that's exactly what I thought! I know someone who scoffs at 'pleasure' reading, but you know- he can't scoff at my English grades and abilities! :p
May 17th 2013 new
(quote) Joseph-903200 said: I'm always amazed at how skilled an author can be to use words to create a person that seems so real and that we can feel for. Once I learned to read fiction I think I learned a bit about empathy because you get so used to seeing things from another person's perspective.

Thanks for your comments. Unlike you, I have never tried to detect the means by which an author is able to, in your words, "create a person that seems so real and that we can feel for", but it sounds like an interesting exercise. I'd imagine that it would helpful already to be aware of some of the techniques employed by writers so that you know what to look for as you read.
May 17th 2013 new
Reading fiction provides for a diversion from our own lives, and into others' realms. Whether the story is set in another time, place, or culture, we can learn much from these settings that we might not otherwise experience in our own lives. We may learn perspectives that are different from our own. It is a chance to experience someone else's experience, without going much farther than our favorite Barnes & Noble.
May 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marie-358484 said: Despite the fact i don't believe it is necessary to be well rounded, it is always useful to know what all sides beliefs are. i'd say that fictional literature has assisted me in vocabulary usage and understanding, knowledge of difference of outlook culturally since every fiction is based on truth, and an ability to alter viewpoint to other individuals temporarily so i could see through their eyes (this especially when reading Japanese or Russian since i'm familiar enough with the cultural differences within America but not as much with these others).

It is said that everything has already been invented but can be used another way which i see as more possible the more we read.

Personally, i have an extensive library of Catholic, political (mostly from the John Birch Society bookstores, speakers, and websites referred), classical, mystery, and science fiction. It's been pretty easy to cull through the mystery and science fiction though to eliminate any unecessary literature since they tend to have potential of inappropriate content within so are not retainable on my personal shelves. i made a committment a long time ago, that if the books i own don't fit on the shelves i have, they or others would have to be sold/given away since i read so much that otherwise i could be buried from the volumes in a "death from burial by volumes" occurance which would not be productive.
Hi Marie,

I appreciate your taking the time to write out your opinion.

In regard to your mention of how fiction can help with the understanding of different cultural outlooks, I'd imagine that it would be very helpful already to have become awareness of the foreign culture in the fictional work; otherwise, some actions or ways of doing things may just be shocking rather than enlightening. Just imagine reading a fictional story within a Middle Eastern culture where some minor burping after dinner is considerate to be a compliment about the food. Without having that prior knowledge, your reaction to burping diners in a novel would be drastically different. eyebrow shhh

May 17th 2013 new
All good fiction is rooted in Truth. While the worlds and characters may be made up, the themes, conflicts, ironies, and morals are the same that we deal with in daily life. Fiction has helped me to learn about the experience of being human throughout the ages. It has taken me to places that I may never get a chance to step foot in. I have learned history, science, music, art, sports, and many other things. I've learned how other people think about life and the world. Reading fiction has expanded my horizons, given me more insights into others, and helped me to dream about my own future.

I've also discovered that by reading fiction I have studied the craft and can not only read it but write it. Maybe one day you will buy my best seller and then you too will find Truth in fiction. wink
Posts 1 - 10 of 55