Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 20th 2013 new
(quote) Monica-291280 said: I think reading anything is better exercise for the brain than most TV shows because you have to work to visualize and hear the characters. I sometimes get upset when a favorite book is made into a movie and the actors are not how I have envisioned the character.
Your words remind me of the first paragraph of a movie review of the current version of The Great Gadsby. observer.com.

May 20th 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: Thanks for adding how historical fiction can draw in readers who might avoid "pure history". We just have to hope that the author is not an ideologue who "rearranges" a lot of things.
Mother of Divine Grace and many other Catholic homeschool programs have lists online of great books to read. Then you can search for the books from various sources. Excellent reading.
May 20th 2013 new
So true about "reading the book" vs. "seeing the movie." The reason for the caveat to read the book first, before seeing the movie, is that if one reads the book first, what the characters look like, and what the setting would be like, can be visualized via one's imagination. The "reality" of the big screen leaves little to the imagination, however it can fill the senses, which can be a good thing too. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't poo-poo a good movie, but if one has already seen the movie prior to reading the book, it would be pretty difficult to substitute the images in the movie, to ones imagined in reading the book. So, always read the book first! Hey, what happened to the icons? How can I write a post without illustrations!
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: So true about "reading the book" vs. "seeing the movie." The reason for the caveat to read the book first, before seeing the movie, is that if one reads the book first, what the characters look like, and what the setting would be like, can be visualized via one's imagination. The "reality" of the big screen leaves little to the imagination, however it can fill the senses, which can be a good thing too. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't poo-poo a good movie, but if one has already seen the movie prior to reading the book, it would be pretty difficult to substitute the images in the movie, to ones imagined in reading the book. So, always read the book first! Hey, what happened to the icons? How can I write a post without illustrations!
Thanks for that advice and the explanation. FYI the icons, some of them anyway, can be accessed by pressing on the smiley-face button, just above the input box where you write replies.
May 21st 2013 new
Slight subject switch: The disappointment when a book is made into a movie
Has anyone seen the current version of Great Gatsby?? Is it worth the ticket price? Is it the same story?

Also, a friend got me hooked on Lee Childs series about a traveling detective, Jack Reacher, a big ,blonde , 6 ft 5 in loner, played in the movie version by.....Tom Cruise. Anyone familiar with these books see the movie?
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) Monica-291280 said: Slight subject switch: The disappointment when a book is made into a movie
Has anyone seen the current version of Great Gatsby?? Is it worth the ticket price? Is it the same story?

Also, a friend got me hooked on Lee Childs series about a traveling detective, Jack Reacher, a big ,blonde , 6 ft 5 in loner, played in the movie version by.....Tom Cruise. Anyone familiar with these books see the movie?
One answer, maybe not the last word, to the questions in your first paragraph is in the first paragraph of this link that I have already posted: observer.com.

I have not seen The Great Gatsby or any of the Lee Childs series.

May 21st 2013 new
Yes, its sometimes good to read the book first! YEARS ago, when the first Godfather movie was in the theater, everyone in the audience screamed at the scene with the horse's head on the bed. My friend noticed I didn't scream. I had read the book and knew when to look down at the floor.

I also went to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with friends, who had never read the book and didn't know how it ended. While the movie has very funny parts, the ending is ugly. They were stunned
May 21st 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: Not counting the enjoyment, what has the reading of fictional literature done for you?
Fictional literature has as much reality in it as most non-fiction. If a fiction writer doesn't have his/her facts straight in reflects very poorly on them.
Fictional literature contains a treasure chest of knowledge...each and every book. You get a detective series based out of say...Detroit...and you will learn a hell of a lot about Detroit and its geography,history,personality,character.
May 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: Fictional literature has as much reality in it as most non-fiction. If a fiction writer doesn't have his/her facts straight in reflects very poorly on them.
Fictional literature contains a treasure chest of knowledge...each and every book. You get a detective series based out of say...Detroit...and you will learn a hell of a lot about Detroit and its geography,history,personality,character.
Thanks for taking the time to write a reply. Your bringing up how a fictional writer can educate about a lot of factual matters that would be less interesting in a non-fictional work is a point that has not been emphasized yet.
May 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Monica-291280 said: Slight subject switch: The disappointment when a book is made into a movie

Monica...
I have read every one of the Reacher series. --And I saw the movie.
Cruise does a tremendous job of capturing the essence of the character.
You forget about the height issue.And they didn't do anything to try and make up for this in the filming-which was a smart move.
Posts 41 - 50 of 55