Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

May 23rd 2013 new
There have been many times in my life where fiction has offered a much needed escape from reality. I love how an author can draw me in with a good plot, vivid characters, bring me to laughter and tears, give me things to ponder, stretch my imagination and paint a picture that comes alive in my imagination. I revel at the use of similes and hasten to look up new words or share the experience with friends.
Fiction is my addiction of sorts. When I start, I get so engrossed I lose track of time and forget about the other duties vying for my attention. And if the story is a series, color me gone until I have decoured every last page of every book.
May 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-184825 said: Hi Mary,

Thanks for letting me know that my title caught your eye.

When one thinks of how the preponderance of the Oxford dons of Tolkien's day had little regard for fantasy in general or the particular fantasies that he was proposing to have published, it is remarkable that he not only succeeded so grandly, but also became the father of modern high-fantasy, which includes the Harry Potter series.

I'm glad to hear that books have also given you not only the desire to write, but also the ability to enjoy the work involved in the project of writing. On top of that, you seem to be saying that books have lead you to a career that you relish.

Books have been good to you.

John

Books have been very good to me, and sports. God knew what he was doing when he put those two in my life.
May 24th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: There have been many times in my life where fiction has offered a much needed escape from reality. I love how an author can draw me in with a good plot, vivid characters, bring me to laughter and tears, give me things to ponder, stretch my imagination and paint a picture that comes alive in my imagination. I revel at the use of similes and hasten to look up new words or share the experience with friends.
Fiction is my addiction of sorts. When I start, I get so engrossed I lose track of time and forget about the other duties vying for my attention. And if the story is a series, color me gone until I have decoured every last page of every book.
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for mentioning the many mini-experiences within the overall larger experience that fiction brings to you. I think that it is a gift to be able to become engrossed in a good book. Some people are too restless to do that. Do you also like to discuss some of the books that you have read? Do you like to ponder some of the books long after you finish them? scratchchin

John
Jun 10th 2013 new
This topic is certainly a popular one...and one that I quite enjoy reading. I think it is amazing how literature can affect so many people so differently. I know for me it was a mix of everything...escaping reality, discovering life, stimulating the imagination.... I remember reading all through school and thinking that people who didn't enjoy reading must be really strange.

I (like some other people who have commented) am a Teacher. I remember reading somewhere that "if you can teach a child only one thing, then instill in them a love for reading." I quite agree! In every work of fiction there is an underlying theme of some truth, or a lesson to be learned. They are not just delightful stories that have no bearing on real life. Growing up, fiction was a source of joy and entertainment. It inspired my thoughts, my school, my writing, and provided me with some of the happiest moments of childhood. I think it is not just an escape from reality, but something that helps people to live in their reality (if that makes sense). I encourage all my students to read-anything and everything they possibly can, and to explore all different genres in fictional literature (Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, Classical Fiction...). Reading fiction is something I continue to enjoy and probably will forever.
Jun 11th 2013 new
Helped me to see the world in new ways and through other perspectives.
Posts 51 - 55 of 55