Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

May 25th 2013 new
Hi Janet and Chelle. I am in Anaheim too. It would be nice to meet you and help.
May 25th 2013 new
Southern California is BEAUTIFUL in September; a good time for me!! Let us know what/when/where. THANKS, Janet.
May 25th 2013 new
I live in the Coachella Valley, not to far for me to travel, and would like to meet up with people from CM. How can I stay informed?
May 25th 2013 new
Everyone can stay informed through visiting this page until we get things firmed up. A couple of questions I have for those that might like to attend:

Overall: I want to keep the costs down so that anyone that wants to attend can make it. One way we did that at CM Phoenix was to share rooms. If you wish to do that, let me know. If you see others that are attending as we get closer to the date, just work that out on your own when you make your room reservations.

Hotel Location: It might be less expensive if we use hotels up closer to South Coast Plaza (a shopping mall), than those closer to the beach, but I will check for group rates on both. My thought about using a hotel closer to the water is that you will have the ability to get up early and get a nice walk in... etc. Once I get the group rates, I'll post it here.

Events:

Friday afternoon/night: Beach Party and Dinner around the Fire Pits (we will do this in either Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Huntington Beach, or Bolsa Chica). The sad news is that certain cities (Newport/Corona del Mar) are trying to ban them due to air quality, and the entire state may ban them in future years. The good news is... they are NOT banned yet! I have a volleyball, we can bring frisbees, etc. I also have lots of firewood... Does anyone know how to play the guitar (camp fire songs we can all sing along to)? I can supply either a guitar or a ukulele... :)

Saturday Options: I will list many options....

Walk at Crystal Cove (one of my favorite places), enjoy the tidepools at low tide
Kayaking or Paddle Boarding
Outrigger Canoe ride and Luao at my house for dinner
Laguna Beach Tide Pools and art galleries
Walk the pier to pier walk (Newport to Balboa) and grab a meal at a local restaurant
Balboa Island, ferry ride to the Balboa Peninsula, and the Fun Zone
Catalina Island side trip (Groupon has discount tickets now, and offers it from time to time)
Long Beach Aquarium
Boat Ride in the Bay (there are always Groupons for this, so it can be affordable)
Santa Monica Pier
Getty Museum (about an hour drive)
Huntington Library (about an hour drive)
Horse Races (Santa Anita or Del Mar... this depends on when we get together and if they are running)
Los Angeles Arboretum (about an hour from here)
LA Flower Mart, Olivera's Street and China Town... we could also see the Cathedral
Hiking (there are trails everywhere)
Disneyland (about 30 minutes from here, but more expensive than everything else mentioned here)
Knott's Berry Farm (about 30 minutes from here, a lot less expensive than Disneyland, also very fun)
Other items I have not mentioned.... please post them. We will then determine what most people want to do an try to accomodate as many as possible.

Sunday:
For church, we have several options... There are 4 local parishes for mass, or we could go to the Mission in San Juan Capistrano for mass, tour the Mission, and have lunch at this very old/famous Mexican Restaurant (the name escapes me now...) Another option is to go to the new Christ Cathedral... about twenty minutes from here (someone posted earlier that they have mass there now, but it has not yet been converted to a Catholic Church.

After lunch, we could do something around the area that we picked for church.

Okay everyone... start to post or email me privately if you prefer... We've got a lot of options...

Janet

May 25th 2013 new
One more option for Sunday mass... The Loyola Institute holds little mini retreats sometimes from 10-12 with mass at 12... If you are interested in this, we would need to select a weekend they are doing it. It is held at the Mother House of the Sister's of St. Joseph's of Orange, and mass is in their beautiful chapel. There is no cost for the retreat, they just ask for a donation. It is always great... this is also close to the Christ Cathedral if anyone wanted to do a tour of that too.... just another thought!

Janet
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Janet-62904 said: Everyone can stay informed through visiting this page until we get things firmed up. A couple of questions I have for those that might like to attend:

Overall: I want to keep the costs down so that anyone that wants to attend can make it. One way we did that at CM Phoenix was to share rooms. If you wish to do that, let me know. If you see others that are attending as we get closer to the date, just work that out on your own when you make your room reservations.

Hotel Location: It might be less expensive if we use hotels up closer to South Coast Plaza (a shopping mall), than those closer to the beach, but I will check for group rates on both. My thought about using a hotel closer to the water is that you will have the ability to get up early and get a nice walk in... etc. Once I get the group rates, I'll post it here.

Events:

Friday afternoon/night: Beach Party and Dinner around the Fire Pits (we will do this in either Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Huntington Beach, or Bolsa Chica). The sad news is that certain cities (Newport/Corona del Mar) are trying to ban them due to air quality, and the entire state may ban them in future years. The good news is... they are NOT banned yet! I have a volleyball, we can bring frisbees, etc. I also have lots of firewood... Does anyone know how to play the guitar (camp fire songs we can all sing along to)? I can supply either a guitar or a ukulele... :)

Saturday Options: I will list many options....

Walk at Crystal Cove (one of my favorite places), enjoy the tidepools at low tide
Kayaking or Paddle Boarding
Outrigger Canoe ride and Luao at my house for dinner
Laguna Beach Tide Pools and art galleries
Walk the pier to pier walk (Newport to Balboa) and grab a meal at a local restaurant
Balboa Island, ferry ride to the Balboa Peninsula, and the Fun Zone
Catalina Island side trip (Groupon has discount tickets now, and offers it from time to time)
Long Beach Aquarium
Boat Ride in the Bay (there are always Groupons for this, so it can be affordable)
Santa Monica Pier
Getty Museum (about an hour drive)
Huntington Library (about an hour drive)
Horse Races (Santa Anita or Del Mar... this depends on when we get together and if they are running)
Los Angeles Arboretum (about an hour from here)
LA Flower Mart, Olivera's Street and China Town... we could also see the Cathedral
Hiking (there are trails everywhere)
Disneyland (about 30 minutes from here, but more expensive than everything else mentioned here)
Knott's Berry Farm (about 30 minutes from here, a lot less expensive than Disneyland, also very fun)
Other items I have not mentioned.... please post them. We will then determine what most people want to do an try to accomodate as many as possible.

Sunday:
For church, we have several options... There are 4 local parishes for mass, or we could go to the Mission in San Juan Capistrano for mass, tour the Mission, and have lunch at this very old/famous Mexican Restaurant (the name escapes me now...) Another option is to go to the new Christ Cathedral... about twenty minutes from here (someone posted earlier that they have mass there now, but it has not yet been converted to a Catholic Church.

After lunch, we could do something around the area that we picked for church.

Okay everyone... start to post or email me privately if you prefer... We've got a lot of options...

Janet

Great plans, Janet! Any wknd dates you want to offer as possibilities per your schedule?
And is this adults only or....?
May 25th 2013 new
Wow Janet.... This is AMAZING! You're quite the trip planner....

I'm going to be in Southern CA, Whittier for a couple weeks in August... not sure which ones yet as we're juggling my daughter's job & my son's leave, but I'm thinking it's going to be the second & third. If your plans happen to fall during that time period, I would LOVE to join you all. Sounds like a magnificent time! *smile*

Thanks for arranging this & count on my prayers for all... hug
May 26th 2013 new
Hi Janet,

It ALL sounds wonderful to me. My daughter and I are in Atlanta from July 21st - 28th, other than that I would absolutely love to attend. I REALLY appreciate you putting this out there and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Dan
May 26th 2013 new
I was born in Anaheim. September or October...really???!? *Heavy sigh* That's in the middle of the semester. Summer's really the better time for me, plus those of us who live in blazing Arizona can get a nice respite from this awful heat. Don't forget a visit to the Crab Cooker for a meal wink
www.youtube.com

May 26th 2013 new
(quote) Janet-62904 said:

you just about go me right there! I enjoyed Knott's Berry Farm, but that was in 1970 and 1975... lots of fun stuff to see and do. I'm not sure right now what my travel availability will be this fall, depending on if I make any "big" moves in my life between now and then. But, if I'm still in Duluth, a visit to Orange County might be quite tempting.
Posts 11 - 20 of 102