Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: When the screen width drops below 1200px the width of the main window is reduced and the right column is shifted left. When viewing a forim in threaded view the font size and/or width of the thread detail are not correspondingly reduced, resulting in potions of the text breaking outside the main window and being obscured by the right column content.

Threaded view is going the way of the do-do bird. Nate just can't pull the trigger yet.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Andrea-850967 said: Hello Brian, when I respond to a message I cannot find the spell check. Where do I find that? Also when I write in the forum I wonder where the spell check is hidden. Maybe I am only blind .... sorry ... and thanks for the answer
There is no seperate spell checker anymore. We are using the one that is built into the browsers. If you are not getting a red line under mis-spelled words then please submit a support ticket for additional assistance.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: Threaded view is going the way of the do-do bird. Nate just can't pull the trigger yet.
Adios, amigo. It's been real...

May 29th 2013 new
How does one submit a help ticket? Spellchecker is not working for me.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: How does one submit a help ticket? Spellchecker is not working for me.
The link to Help is in the menu on the far right of the dark blue menu bar, which, spending on the size of your screen, is either your name-member number or a stack of three horizontal lines.

Or you can just click on the link below:

www.catholicmatch.com

May 29th 2013 new
Thank you, Jerry! I found it! If I shrink the screen to 90% it shows up!
May 29th 2013 new
when I write something which is spelled worng I don't get a red underlining ...
May 29th 2013 new
I always HATED Flat View.. I am seriously sorry to see you say this.. It is so much clearer to catch up on unread posts in Threaded View.. I hope you will reconsider this move.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Donna-83441 said: I always HATED Flat View.. I am seriously sorry to see you say this.. It is so much clearer to catch up on unread posts in Threaded View.. I hope you will reconsider this move.
Donna technically and the amount it gets used just doesn't justify the tech problems it causes. Not really a religious decision but most forums simply don't use it anymore. Probably for many of the same reasons it causes us problems. Ironically one of the most popular discussion site reddit is in threaded view. Who knows maybe Nate will bring something like that one day.
May 29th 2013 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: Donna technically and the amount it gets used just doesn't justify the tech problems it causes. Not really a religious decision but most forums simply don't use it anymore. Probably for many of the same reasons it causes us problems. Ironically one of the most popular discussion site reddit is in threaded view. Who knows maybe Nate will bring something like that one day.
While I can certainly see the difficulty implementing a threaded view on a small screen device, the solution to that is simple: force flat view when the screen size is below the minimum threshold that provides a usable display.

While the threaded view of recent memory did have some quirks that almost certainly would have dissuaded those not familiar with it, those with the most impact were introduced relatively recently, which means they could have been corrected if anyone had bothered to do so. I suspect another reason for the lack of use is simply that many don't even know the threaded view exist -- an inevitable consequence of putting the setting inside a menu instead of using a readily visible icon as had been done in the past.

Granted, portions of the threaded display can become fairly useless when the tree gets beyond a certain depth; however, a mitigating factor is that this occurs most frequently in the light-hearted topics where one is less likely to be concerned with following a specific thread than in the serious topics.

Yes, it is true many other forums lack threaded views. A perfect opportunity to distinguish yourself among the crowd, especially since you already have the feature implemented! For whatever it's worth, the threaded view is perhaps the most significant reason I have 20K+ posts on CM and less than 100 on the Catholic Answers forum in the same span of time. (If it gets pulled tomorrow, y'all will know why! laughing laughing laughing )

Posts 71 - 80 of 90