Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jun 29th 2013 new
I made the decision to change back to receiving on the tongue more then twenty years ago,for myself I would never change back.I have seen and heard of instance that grieve me deeply, especially the Catholic school Mass where non Catholic teenagers go up for"a bit of free bread and wine" :( My children do their best to prevent friends from wrongly receiving Jesus but there are too many incidents time after time.
A few times(that I've heard of)children have kept holy communion in their possession,it brings me to tears.
I have approached the priest, but to no avail.. sad
Jun 30th 2013 new
Oh. That is SO terribly sad! I will pray for the soul who did such things to Our Lord.

I am rather confused by this as I have spoken to several priests and some have told me we are not supposed to receive on the tongue and others have told me we are.

I don't know the answer to this. Does anyone have a for sure answer?

God bless everyone!
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Heidi-922142 said: I don't know the answer to this. Does anyone have a for sure answer?

God bless everyone!
The answer is that the Roman norm for receiving the sacred species is on the tongue (whilst kneeling).

However, there is a tolerated practice in many Latin Rite parishes whereby many receive the sacred species upon their hands...and many bishops mandate that Holy Communion be received whilst standing in their dioceses.

Remember, merely because a practice is tolerated does not make it praiseworthy.

I know that there are some who say that the original commemorations of the Lord's Supper in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass were much more informal...and that everyone alike took the sacred species in their hands...and therefore it cannot be a materially evil practice. This rendering of history may or may not be true. Though, even if it is true, we were warned by the Holy Father Pius XII not to strive for a devolution in liturgical practice to primitive forms (encyclical Mediator Dei, #62), as if what was refined in practice over the entire life of Holy Mother Church were mere accretions.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Chelsea-743484 said: The answer is that the Roman norm for receiving the sacred species is on the tongue (whilst kneeling).

However, there is a tolerated practice in many Latin Rite parishes whereby many receive the sacred species upon their hands...and many bishops mandate that Holy Communion be received whilst standing in their dioceses.

Remember, merely because a practice is tolerated does not make it praiseworthy.

I know that there are some who say that the original commemorations of the Lord's Supper in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass were much more informal...and that everyone alike took the sacred species in their hands...and therefore it cannot be a materially evil practice. This rendering of history may or may not be true. Though, even if it is true, we were warned by the Holy Father Pius XII not to strive for a devolution in liturgical practice to primitive forms (encyclical Mediator Dei, #62), as if what was refined in practice over the entire life of Holy Mother Church were mere accretions.
Chelsea,it is not just a tolerated practice in some parishes. It is, in fact, allowed by the
Church, not just tolerated.

It has become pretty much the norm. So much so that Pope Benedict went out of his way to dictate that those receiving from him at his masses were to kneel and receive on the tongue.

You are correct that in the US most Bishops have dictated that people are to stand to receive and kneeling is merely tolerated. With the removal of the altar rail in most churches, kneeling to receive becomes a problem.

We must always keep in mind that these issues are a matter of discipline and therefore changable. Neither method of receiving is inherently more worthy than the other.

There is no doubt that prior to these allowed changes, there was more reverence shown to the Eucharist. But it would be hard to say if that were the result of requiring the kneeling and receiving on the tongue or just a difference in attitude having nothing to do with the method.

Face it since the 60s there has been a general lowering of standards of behavior in all elements of society not just religion. People dress like slobs, they do not show courtesy to each other, language is coarser, etc. etc, etc..

One practice is generally found only in the US and that is the folding of arms to signal the priest one is not there to receive but to just receive a blessing. That is a nonsense practice and should be done away, especially since in the US Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion have beome the norm rather than the exception they are supposed to be. Too often these extraordinary ministers are blessing people which they are prohibited from doing as giving a blessing is reserved solely to ordained ministers, Priests and Deacons.
Jun 30th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Chelsea,it is not just a tolerated practice in some parishes. It is, in fact, allowed by the
Church, not just tolerated.

It has become pretty much the norm. So much so that Pope Benedict went out of his way to dictate that those receiving from him at his masses were to kneel and receive on the tongue.

You are correct that in the US most Bishops have dictated that people are to stand to receive and kneeling is merely tolerated. With the removal of the altar rail in most churches, kneeling to receive becomes a problem.

We must always keep in mind that these issues are a matter of discipline and therefore changable. Neither method of receiving is inherently more worthy than the other.

There is no doubt that prior to these allowed changes, there was more reverence shown to the Eucharist. But it would be hard to say if that were the result of requiring the kneeling and receiving on the tongue or just a difference in attitude having nothing to do with the method.

Face it since the 60s there has been a general lowering of standards of behavior in all elements of society not just religion. People dress like slobs, they do not show courtesy to each other, language is coarser, etc. etc, etc..

One practice is generally found only in the US and that is the folding of arms to signal the priest one is not there to receive but to just receive a blessing. That is a nonsense practice and should be done away, especially since in the US Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion have beome the norm rather than the exception they are supposed to be. Too often these extraordinary ministers are blessing people which they are prohibited from doing as giving a blessing is reserved solely to ordained ministers, Priests and Deacons.
As a parishoner at a Latin Mass parish, I can attest to the efficiency of the altar rail approach, which allows hundreds of people to receive without the need for the extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion that, sadly, have become all too familiar to American Catholics.

Do that, and you get rid of the other problems as well that seem to have arisen out of a desire for "change for the sake of change."
Jul 1st 2013 new
Dear souls,

At the risk of shifting the topic, how do your parishes address administering communion to non-Catholics? An example: family members of one of our parishioners visited this weekend. We know they are not Catholic (small parish) and yet they came up for communion.

They partook of His Sacred Body and Blood. For myself it was painful to see. Our general protocol is to not make a fuss and that our priest will address anything he sees. I have often been challenged there to impress upon our people the Real Presence.

In another example we recently had to put our sacristans through (re)training on the proper handling of the sacred vessels and the Blessed Sacrament as we found moldy consecrated hosts (!!!) in one of the tabernacles. It has all been very disconcerting to me, but I see it as a blessed opportunity to help folks grow in their knowledge and love of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

In Christ,
Leyden
Jul 1st 2013 new
Hi Leyden.
My brother, as a Priest, is very in tune with his parishioners and knows of their state of grace,if there are visitors he may ask quietly if they are catholic and if they are not will give a blessing. It happens so smoothly that there is no interruption and it is not obvious to others.
Jul 2nd 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said:
Im heartbroken to announce that last week, we discovered a crushed consecrated Host beneath one of the kneelers, the pastor of a small yet devout Californian parish says. He pauses for a moment before he goes on, his voice choked by just indignation and sadness: This is God, people. God. Then he drops the bomb. Im writing to Pope Francis to do away with the practice of Communion in the hand altogether. I believe most of the abuses and blasphemies that the Eucharist has undergone is because of this practice.http://catholicinsight.com/blasphemy-abuse-communion-in-the-hand/
And this is why I did not join the priesthood, for being lumped together with people like that, would be a downgrade to my walk....

Jesus left that what is now, a piece of bread before the person received it, or that person was so old and feeble, they had problems and made a mistake, or that it was a child that didn't know the importance of it, or any number of reasons. Guess what folks, Jesus "broke" the bread and "passed" it down to his disciples. He didn't have them stand in line for their prepared segment... I personally, do prefer taking it on the tongue for the whole, respect and my orthodox type of approach towards enjoying mass with, but if it's not delivered by the priest, it's by hand so I can have a mini adoration just prior to receiving it.

Does a molecule of the host leave and float into the air each time it's being shared...yes it does, many of them, so are you going to hang around with a microscope to find each and every one at the end of mass? Show healthy respect, and put your focus on the life you are receiving, not the petty formalities. God is the God of all things and his it all all fully in control, don't think for two seconds he's going to sit around and remain in a left over host that someone forgot about or worse, intentionally did something wrong with.
Jul 2nd 2013 new
1) It depends on the form(words) used in the consecration of the Host. Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, Cantate Domino, 1441: " the holy Roman Church, relying on the teaching and authority of the apostles Peter and Paul...uses this form of words in the consecration of the Lord's body: For this is my body. For this is the chalice of my blood, of the new and eternal testament: the mystery of faith, which shall be shed for you and for many unto the remission of sins." If these words were not used or the words used do not effect the same meaning then you do not have a valid sacrament. Most places say, "for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven" this is not the correct form. Pope St. Pius V teaches the exact same thing as Eugene.
2) Communion in the hand is blasphemous. Only a validly ordained priest, bishop, cardinal is allowed to touch the Host. They have the authority given to them by God through the imposition of the hands in the correct form of consecration when they become priests/bishops. Lay people are not allowed to receive Him in hand, even though the Vatican II "popes" say that you can. It is heretical. Only a priest distributes the Lords body.
Jul 2nd 2013 new
(quote) David-982761 said: If these words were not used or the words used do not effect the same meaning then you do not have a valid sacrament. Most places say, "for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven" this is not the correct form. Pope St. Pius V teaches the exact same thing as Eugene.
Lay people are not allowed to receive Him in hand, even though the Vatican II "popes" say that you can. It is heretical. Only a priest distributes the Lords body.
The "for you and for all" thing was corrected in 2011. It was a defect which made the form illicit, but did not invalidate the consecration. A reading of De Defectibus by Pope St. Pius V (which used to be printed in the front of the Roman Missals on the altar, I'm told) classifies such a change as "for all" for "for many" as an accidental, rather than substantial, change. A substantial change in the form (e.g., "this is a chalice of my desire, iced tea, sweat, etc.") invalidates the attempt to confect the sacrament. An accidental change in the form (e.g., "for all" or removing "the mystery of faith" to after the elevation and genuflexion) merely means that grave sin has been committed in the course of the consecration of the sacred species (illicit), but transubstantiation occurs.

If you're going to claim that the action of receiving Holy Communion into one's hand, if a lay person, is heretical, then you are bound by common decency to show which dogma said reception transgresses.

Also, deacons are ordinary ministers of Holy Communion right along with priests. They are allowed to administer the sacred species to the communicates ordinarily. Subdeacons, acolytes and lay persons have been designated in Canon Law (1983 CIC) as extraordinary ministers when there is an extraordinary need.
Posts 21 - 30 of 52