Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

www.youtube.comOver the 15 or so years he has been performing, Saju George, S.J. has shown a constant concern to conjugate his dancing with his Catholic faith and his ordainment and considers art as an effective means of spiritual integration and social transformation. In recent years, Saju has given over 200 performances in India and worldwide and adopting both Hindu and Christian themes in his incorporation of images whether of Radha-Krishna and Shiva-Parvati or of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.
May 22nd 2013 new
Isn't he wonderful!? eyepopping boggled wide eyed faint
May 22nd 2013 new
He needs to pick a religion and stick to it. Isn't the hypocrisy of the whole thing rather obvious?
May 22nd 2013 new
That was a hypothetical question- not a response to your sarcasm. :p
May 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Felicity-929402 said: That was a hypothetical question- not a response to your sarcasm. :p
laughing wink
May 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Felicity-929402 said: He needs to pick a religion and stick to it. Isn't the hypocrisy of the whole thing rather obvious?
Yep! smile
May 23rd 2013 new
I forgot to mention.I think he is in good standing with his Bishop. rolling eyes
May 25th 2013 new
This situation is vastly unfortunate for the priest and everyone who sees him. I would wonder if his choice to dress and behave as such weren't a blasphemy against his office as a presbyter and alter Christus.
May 25th 2013 new
http://www.youtube.com This is his interview after a dance.

I think we need to look at this from the cultural point for view. For Indians, (not HIndus only) dance is a from of worship to God. When I saw his performance and listened to him, it appears he is worshipping God in the trinity and not a Hindu God.

Being an Indian, I always marvel at the Hindus dancing freely in the streets to their idols. I see the passion and my heart moves and I think, "Catholics know they worship one true God yet our worship is so bland, If only Catholics can worship our true God with such passion, we would lead others to Christ".

Unless I know more about him and his dance, I cannot comment and it is not for me to judge.
Perhaps with his passion for dance and to God, he is trying to lead others to God. And perhaps in the culture he is in, that is an appropriate way of doing it. wide eyed
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Pauline-931463 said: I think we need to look at this from the cultural point for view. For Indians, (not HIndus only) dance is a from of worship to God. When I saw his performance and listened to him, it appears he is worshipping God in the trinity and not a Hindu God.

Being an Indian, I always marvel at the Hindus dancing freely in the streets to their idols. I see the passion and my heart moves and I think, "Catholics know they worship one true God yet our worship is so bland, If only Catholics can worship our true God with such passion, we would lead others to Christ".

Unless I know more about him and his dance, I cannot comment and it is not for me to judge.
Perhaps with his passion for dance and to God, he is trying to lead others to God. And perhaps in the culture he is in, that is an appropriate way of doing it.
Firstly, I believe it is a false conclusion to argue a difference in culture. The fellow we are discussing is a Catholic priest. His culture is therefore Roman Catholicism of either the Latin/Western or Eastern Rite. Discerning from that standpoint, his actions are unprecedented and novel. We can't all go about with divisive conditions and prerequisites for understanding the actions of one another by saying, "Well, he's an Indian-Catholic," or "he's a Baltic-Catholic," or "he's a French-Catholic;" it's not a national thing; we're all supposed to be plainly Catholic. We don't have the luxury of deciding anew for ourselves what God demands for public worship, especially if that has been established already by His authority (as we see in Divine Liturgy and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass).

I disagree with your determination that Catholic worship is "so bland." Merely because the worship that Holy Mother Church has canonized to be offered to God is refined, solemn and sacred doesn't make it bland or lesser in any respect to the fervor offered by idol-worshippers. The solemnity and refined-ness of the Holy Sacrifice offered to God the Father in atonement for our sins should not be made coarse, vulgar and profane to suit the un-Churched, but used as a means of raising the minds of such people to the loftier things of God.

Finally, I would offer as a suggestion that you take a peek at #75 in Bl. Pope John Paul II's Encyclical Letter Veritatis Splendor. A good action requires more than a good intention.
Posts 1 - 10 of 17