Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Sandra-871852 said: I don't post photos of my adult children and my grandchild in my profile I because I think it is an invasion of their privacy. I'm not sure they would appreciate personal family photos being posted on the internet.
Sandra, good point.

My adult children's photos are already on the internet. I think all the ones I used are on Facebook.

The older I get the more convinced I am that privacy is no longer possible. I don't believe that the government guarantees it as a right any more in the way you and I used to enjoy it 30+ years ago. If you or an attorney type would beg to differ, I would love to hear about the protections available, that have not been dumped.

The best defense I can think of today is to live a clean and open life and our community build local protections.
May 25th 2013 new
tongue And use an alias.
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: And use an alias.
Now, how come a woman can get away with that but a guy can't?
A decade ago, I was a told I was a LIAR when I tried that.
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: Sorry, it should read that by clicking Catholic Match and my town, all that info came up about me with links to my profile. I had always thought you need to be a paying member to view that much detail. It was frightening. Plus, I don't want people to know everything about me without meeting me first. And sharing pictures of my kids, my family and friends could jeopardize their privacy and safety.
Being able to pull up that much information about you has something to do with you being logged onto Catholic Match and the cookies on your computer. The techie people will tell you that if you log out of Catholic Match and/or clear your history that all of that information won't show up. In other words, you're the only person who will see that much information. I'm not all that saavy about it all, but you can read through some of the older topics or post your question in Community Help and someone more knowledgable will explain it for you wink wink
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: What are your feelings about including photos of your kids on your CM profile?
- TMI?
- fun & interesting
- distracting?
- scary?
- invasion of their privacy
- WYSIWYG
Essentially, none of the above, as far as my personal feelings are concerned.

Some parents are concerned about possible exploitation by unsavory lurkers by having their children's pictures scattered all over the 'net. There is some justification to that, I I respect their feelings.

Otherwise, if someone has a "balanced" group of scrapbook photos, it's neat to see pictures of the family. After all, they're a vital part of a person's life. Pictures with the young 'uns can be fun to view especially if they are involved in some type of activity. That would make the picture more interesting.

Children are blessings (although parents sometimes think otherwise when their kids are naughty). For those who aren't worried about the internet exposure, having children (and other relatives, such as grandma or grandpa) in a photo is a reflection of the member and his/her situation.
May 25th 2013 new
(quote) Joyce-61410 said: Being able to pull up that much information about you has something to do with you being logged onto Catholic Match and the cookies on your computer. The techie people will tell you that if you log out of Catholic Match and/or clear your history that all of that information won't show up. In other words, you're the only person who will see that much information. I'm not all that saavy about it all, but you can read through some of the older topics or post your question in Community Help and someone more knowledgable will explain it for you
Your concerns are valid, and are to be respected. This is an exception I mentioned in another post. For those parents who are concerned about their children's safety and don't want to take chances, refraining from putting their children's pictures on the 'net is a good choice for them.

This is not a private site -- anyone can see what's going on here. I'm not familiar with the feature you describe for privacy, but for those who are concerned, it would be worth their time to find out and decide from there.
May 25th 2013 new
Someone else pointed out that I was wrong in what I said. There was a post in Community help on this subject that was much more informative, but I didn't want anyone to read my post and feel a false sense of security! Sorry
May 25th 2013 new
I just added more photos at the urging of CM's reminders lol to update my photographs. I posted photos of my four legged kiddos and one of my son. and my wee one :-) I would post a pic of my girl's too.

None of them would mind, they are continuously posting pics of themselves anyway.

I am on Facebook and until Pete died only had like one profile pic. I now have quite a few pics. My kids have only a few times wished they hadn't friended me lol. But, their grammy is on there too :-).

As for being found on the internet, I am on there quite a bit and anyone industrious enough would be able to figure out where I am, where I work, etc. . .because there are news clips and articles and posts I've made, and articles, and digs I've been on, etc. There is very little one can do to keep information about ones self from showing up on the web, almost all papers are hooked in digitally even small town newspapers. Universities submit news stories on graduates, researchers, etc. Businesses include contact information and employee information online on their web pages, etc.

If one of my kiddos asked me not to post their pic, I would of course respect that. But, otherwise I am not too worried about it. People save their pics in the "cloud" now so they are never lost, which means they are out there and anyone interested enough can get to them.
May 25th 2013 new
If someone says they have kids in their profile but DOESN"T post photos of them it is a "red flag" to me. I question, do they spend time with their kids? Are they an active father in their kids' lives? My former husband has not spent any time with his kids since he left in 2008. Two weeks ago I invited him to our son's college graduation ceremony and he actually came (most likely it was because the ceremony was during his work day and it was his excuse to leave work early and still get paid). Now we actually have a photo with him and one of our sons!!
In today's world of FB and social media you can't keep yourself from being "found".
May 25th 2013 new
I put pictures of my kids on my profile for several reasons.
One, because they are the best part of me;
Two, they're all out of the nest, so anyone who figures out where I live doesn't have access to my children and Three, my younger son has Down Syndrome and I want people to know that, to gauge their reaction.

Anyone who knows my last name can easily find me on the Internet but that's my maiden name.
As far as playing it safe, I think prayer, especially Psalm 91, is our best protection.
Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves...

Posts 11 - 20 of 34