Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Elissa-829089 said: I don't think you understood the spirit of my post, Margo. It was not about self-pity at all. The point was that we are not just victims of circumstances, we are willing victims because we've decided our chastity and spiritual life are worth the sacrifice. That's why we are still alone.
Elissa, thank you for having the courage to respond to my posts. I know it couldn't have been easy. I think that I understand the spirit of your post. To describe yourself as someone living an interior martyrdom b/c you have high standards is your choice and privilege. I truly believe that you are not pitying yourself, your world view is simply different than mine. And that is just fine; I welcome your opinions

As a divorced annulled woman trying to follow my Catholic faith as best as I know how, I do not think of myself as a martyr because I'm not having sex or living in an uncommitted relationship; I think of myself as someone with high standards. For me, that is just more accurate. I choose to live a rich, meaningful life, even if it is without a spouse.
Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Elissa-829089 said: Margo, I decided to let go of it about a year ago. I left the door open in my mind just in case, but realized that I probably would not find someone. (I'm a little quirky and have high standards!)

I started thinking about it from a new angle, though. We as Christians have a very different lifestyle than the secular people around us, and we end up making costly sacrifices because of it. The number of people we can seriously consider is a fraction of what it would have been a few decades ago. It's kind of like the Roman women who gave up their lives rather than marrying pagan men. We could have been with someone long ago if we didn't mind sleeping with them before marriage, living together without sharing our faith, etc. No one is going to literally put us to death; but we are living an interior martyrdom anyhow.

Maybe we're waiting for the right man to get serious about his faith, or even to find the faith. There are many mismatches even on this site because of members who don't value all the beliefs of the faith equally... So let's pray for all these people, and pray for each other to be able to surrender ourselves willingly into God's hands. The Spirit is still moving in the world, and with God all things are possible.
Elissa, thanks for your insightful post. We all need to learn to "let go and let God." He blesses those who follow His Word and turn away from sin. He doesn't leave us empty-handed. I read and meditate on the Psalms often; they are filled with God's promises for His children.

Psalm 92:13-16

The just man shall flourish like the palm tree,
like a cedar of Lebanon shall he grow
They that are planted in the house of the Lord
shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall bear fruit even in old age;
vigorous and sturdy shall they be,
Declaring how just is the Lord,
my Rock, in whom there is no wrong.

Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Kayla-549130 said: Elissa, thanks for your insightful post. We all need to learn to "let go and let God." He blesses those who follow His Word and turn away from sin. He doesn't leave us empty-handed. I read and meditate on the Psalms often; they are filled with God's promises for His children.

Psalm 92:13-16

The just man shall flourish like the palm tree,
like a cedar of Lebanon shall he grow
They that are planted in the house of the Lord
shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall bear fruit even in old age;
vigorous and sturdy shall they be,
Declaring how just is the Lord,
my Rock, in whom there is no wrong.

Kayla, all I can say is THANK YOU!! Letting go and letting God has been the story of my life. While married to an addict I had to stop trying to change his actions by trying to change his way of thinking. I had to just 'let go of him and let God" speak to him. The only thing we can do for others is pray that they surrender their own will and accept Jesus into their hearts, then their actions will reflect this renewed spirit. Pray, pray, pray for each other.
Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Kayla, all I can say is THANK YOU!! Letting go and letting God has been the story of my life. While married to an addict I had to stop trying to change his actions by trying to change his way of thinking. I had to just 'let go of him and let God" speak to him. The only thing we can do for others is pray that they surrender their own will and accept Jesus into their hearts, then their actions will reflect this renewed spirit. Pray, pray, pray for each other.

Regarding the power of prayer and "letting go", I have often appreciated this quote:

"Meg, I have borne a long time with thy husband; I have reasoned and argued with him in these points of religion, and still given to him my poor fatherly counsel, but I perceive none of all this able to call him home; and therefore, Meg, I will no longer dispute with him, but will clean give him over and get me to God and pray for him."
-- St. Thomas Moore, to his daughter Margaret, regarding her apostate husband, William Roper. To these prayers Roper attributed his return to the Faith.

Different circumstances yield different results, of course. And some close themselves off, unfortunately, to God's grace. Still, we pray that God's will be done.

Jul 7th 2013 new
(quote) Margo-404841 said: At what point should I simply give up on the search for a husband? Does this mean that I am simply at a place of acceptance for what I have been since my divorce in April 1995 -- single?
My life is settled, meaning stable, and that is good. I have so much more than many people my age -- three highly functional adult children, an education, fascinating work, a home that I own. I also have had the love of a good man who died just 5-1/2 months after we started dating. That love, my "being seen" for such a short time, allowed me to blossom and grow in unfathomable ways, causing a ripple effect through my life and others' lives.

I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself by starting this thread. I just have more time than usual in which to ponder my situation. Please share how you address this question yourselves, my friends. Sure I'm not the only person here with these struggles.
Margo...when your at the point where u want to give up...then dig your heels in deeper and stay with it....that means your getting closer to Gods plan for you and the enemy can't stand it, so he attempts to pull you off God's track. Keep traveling down God's railroad track..your almost there!
Jul 7th 2013 new
I must admit that I am constantly fighting the tendency to give up ... It is difficult though and can really weigh on me .. At my core I find it very hard to accept that I am destined to be alone, so I do cling to the smallest of hopes ... Would be nice to have something good happen, though, just to give one something to latch onto as a lifeline, so to speak ...
Jul 8th 2013 new
Hope shootings eternal, never give up, God had a plan just keep trusting and keep on keeping on.
Jul 8th 2013 new
Hope springs eternal.
Posts 121 - 128 of 128