Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Jul 5th 2013 new
I would say that 80% of CM success stories I know of involved a distance of at least 300 miles.

I think it all depends on how much you both address and accept reality versus romantic dreams.
Jul 5th 2013 new
I think they work. If God is calling me to marriage, I will go wherever He wants me to go. :)
Jul 13th 2013 new
I had a long distance relationship that worked great for over half a year! we flew across the country all the time.
Jul 14th 2013 new
I've been in 2 before it didn't work out but it wasn't because of distance. If your both committed to it, it will work. Not really a good analogy but look at famous entertainers who actually HAVE healthy relationships and marriages Well most of the time it is kind of like an LDR with all the touring and such.
Jul 17th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-382372 said: I've been in 2 before it didn't work out but it wasn't because of distance. If your both committed to it, it will work. Not really a good analogy but look at famous entertainers who actually HAVE healthy relationships and marriages Well most of the time it is kind of like an LDR with all the touring and such.
That's a good point, Alex. Commitment (not to mention placing it all in God's hands) is more important that distance, That being said, I'd personally only consider a LDR if there was a reasonable possibility of visiting on a regular basis, say at least every couple months.

Off-topic side note: LDR is also an acronym for a particular kind of radiation therapy treatment that's done in my field. When I saw people using that acronym in this thread, I thought for a split-second that's what everyone was talking about for some reason. :)
Jul 18th 2013 new
Well. long distance relationships can work. Different time zones usually require sacrifice of sleep for someone, so that always needs to be appreciated. Eventually, the time comes where you actually must spend time with each other, which can be a real deal breaker. I've never had that issue but I have heard stories. From my experience, parting after the first meeting is the most difficult. Phone calls, skype (Or oovoo, or whatever you do), and emails/messages are important, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. I have often found myself wanting a day or even a weekend of no contact when I was in a long distance relationship. After that, it is back to normal!
Jul 20th 2013 new
It can be possible. Everyone must keep praying and be involved!!! so God will provide!!!
Jul 20th 2013 new
Over the last ten years, I have observed many friends/acquaintances whose long-distance relationships have worked with success. The key to the LDR success seems to be that the couple will communicate regularly, see each other every few weeks and after a short period (say up to a year), then one party will move to the city of the other. Voom - a close relationship/marriage and no LDR.

The challenge here in the Midwest (I live 2 hours from Chicago on Lake Michigan) is that most everyone I have met wants to date someone who lives no more than 15 minutes away and that more than 25 miles is an LDR. There then seems to be a common perception that LDR's are "too much work or too difficult."

What are your opinions?
Jul 21st 2013 new
I have a question:

What if a really young person like me was in a long distance relationship. I see the need to meet in person sooner but what if it isn't possible yet because of things like expenses and college and all that. What do you think?
Jul 24th 2013 new
I think that it's hard to say, "we're in a relationship" before you've met in person. The meet, or the face to face (whichever you prefer to say), is a really defining moment. I'd say the online back and forth, the phone calls, the emails, the Skype, is a huge portion of the courtship process - but the relationship is established once you've actually met.

I've done a long distance relationship before - twice, and once with a Catholic Match guy. Part of the reason we didn't work out is because he (and after I thought about it a while, I admit its part of my concerns too) needs to be actually near the person he's with. When you're in a relationship, and you're big on the physical touch (one of the 5 Love Languages) and you've had a bad day and just want a hug from your significant other, LDR are incredibly difficult. I'm big on Quality Time and Words of Affirmation, with Physical Touch ranked as my third - so, in other words, I do alright with getting quality conversation, and uplifting words (including when some of my ex-boyfriends help bring me closer to God by reminding me of a Scripture passage!) with someone I'm in a relationship with. It was how I survived a year and half long distance at one point.

I think LDR's work - though I acknowledge there are a lot of challenges with them. It's about you - and the person you are in the relationship with - that matters the most.
Posts 11 - 20 of 35