Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 11th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: They're allowing a false, blasphemous ritual of a false religion to be celebrated within a Catholic church. Basically, they've desecrated it. Just because they take out the Blessed Sacrament doesn't mean it's suddenly right. It's like hiding a cross when you're trying to rob a guy's house. 'Helping' Protestants doesn't mean supporting them in their false (and completely invalid) rites. Their 'ordinations' are nothing but words, and thus a mockery of God and the true priesthood. That isn't treating them like dirt, it's being truthful.
You are making my point for me.

You're assuming that God's point of view is the same as yours. Just because you are feeling insulted doesn't mean that God is as well any more than the righteous indignation of the scribes and pharisees about how Christ would eat with sinners meant that they were some how upholding anything holy.

I'll certainly agree with you that their ordinations are nothing but words in the sense they are simply a human ceremony without any sacramental force or authority, but that doesn't make them a mockery of God. To the contrary, they are making a good faith attempt to please God. Your decision to accuse them of mocking God speaks infinitely more of your disdain for Protestantism than it speaks of what they are trying to do. Likewise, claiming the building has ben "desecrated it" is over the top, as is comparing what we all agree is an incorrect take on Christianity to a felony act.

It's been a long time since Luther or Calven & Co. deliberately chose to break away from the Church. While the Protestants of today are still just as theologically incorrect, they do have the virtue of not knowing any better. To treat them like they are willfully performing heretical acts is both counter-productive and uncharitable.

There might be some legitimate questions to be raised about your point on not helping a religious group who has gone astray. But if I have to choose between a side that might be going a bit too far in extending a welcoming hand and a group that is definitely going over the top in showering disdain on people, I suppose I'd rather be counted among the former.
Jun 12th 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: You are making my point for me.

You're assuming that God's point of view is the same as yours. Just because you are feeling insulted doesn't mean that God is as well any more than the righteous indignation of the scribes and pharisees about how Christ would eat with sinners meant that they were some how upholding anything holy.

I'll certainly agree with you that their ordinations are nothing but words in the sense they are simply a human ceremony without any sacramental force or authority, but that doesn't make them a mockery of God. To the contrary, they are making a good faith attempt to please God. Your decision to accuse them of mocking God speaks infinitely more of your disdain for Protestantism than it speaks of what they are trying to do. Likewise, claiming the building has ben "desecrated it" is over the top, as is comparing what we all agree is an incorrect take on Christianity to a felony act.

It's been a long time since Luther or Calven & Co. deliberately chose to break away from the Church. While the Protestants of today are still just as theologically incorrect, they do have the virtue of not knowing any better. To treat them like they are willfully performing heretical acts is both counter-productive and uncharitable.

There might be some legitimate questions to be raised about your point on not helping a religious group who has gone astray. But if I have to choose between a side that might be going a bit too far in extending a welcoming hand and a group that is definitely going over the top in showering disdain on people, I suppose I'd rather be counted among the former.
John, do you actually think common sense means anything to the "desecration" crowd?
Jun 12th 2013 new
Now who's being judgemental?

And as far as if Gods offended, Ill leave that to someone who really knew, like St Thomas, who condemned any nonCatholic liturgical act, as false worship and a violation of the 1st commandment. Now the Methodists might and I stress might not know this, but a Bishop sure does.
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Now who's being judgemental?

And as far as if Gods offended, Ill leave that to someone who really knew, like St Thomas, who condemned any nonCatholic liturgical act, as false worship and a violation of the 1st commandment. Now the Methodists might and I stress might not know this, but a Bishop sure does.
Are you seriously suggesting that St Thomas in any way spoke about Protestants?

Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: John, do you actually think common sense means anything to the "desecration" crowd?
As a group, no. But there's always a hope that some of the individuals are simply being carried along my the emotion of the moment and might think about it a bit more.
Jun 13th 2013 new
The RCC and the UMC are two peas in a pod. Ever look at how much the UMC has declined in recent decades?
Jun 14th 2013 new
Good heavens of course not. A few centuries apart don't you think.

But the principles he was discussing are applicable here. False worship is a sin against the first commandment. Culpability diminishes yes, but a bishop knows better. To use a sacred space for such heretical acts is well.....

The fact that we have used Protestant spaces is not applicable as WE have right worship, they do not. Toleration can be a serious sin.
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: Pretty bad...

And especially bad as it was an ordination in the UMC. What does the RCC stand for anyway?

I know there are Lutheran synods that refuse to participate in ecumenical worship. Can you imagine the Wisconsin Synod allowing a UMC ordination of a woman minister in a WELS church? In many cases the RCC has become a liberal Protestant denomination.
Hi Sean et alia,

Agreed.

James ☺
Jun 14th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Good heavens of course not. A few centuries apart don't you think.

But the principles he was discussing are applicable here. False worship is a sin against the first commandment. Culpability diminishes yes, but a bishop knows better. To use a sacred space for such heretical acts is well.....

The fact that we have used Protestant spaces is not applicable as WE have right worship, they do not. Toleration can be a serious sin.
The Catholic faith has been so watered down most will never get it.
Jun 15th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: The Catholic faith has been so watered down most will never get it.
And some believe a Catholic Faith that never existed.
Posts 11 - 20 of 50