Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jun 05 new
Well, that sounds much better, since your initial phrasing implied that there was such a person that DIDN'T "look good enough to come over and start talking".

It's true that when the first thing you see of someone is a picture, you can't help having that question occur, but that's not the same as using it to make a decision.
Jun 05 new
I like your response to the question. I feel the same for men , who take the time and care for both their physical and spiritual well being. The most un attractive man is unkept, which pushes your attention away from them. I' m not saying a man who works in construction, who might get mud on himself and etc. but still sense he is attractive. Women should not feel that, because a man doesn't see them attractive means they have no beauty. They are beautiful to others , but not to that particular man. It is a manner or taste and what an individual feels is attractive or beautiful. So ladies and gentlemen God has given us beauty and we just need to find the beauty that moves us.
Corinne
Jun 05 new
(quote) Roy-964611 said:

It's true that when the first thing you see of someone is a picture, you can't help having that question occur, but that's not the same as using it to make a decision.
I agree. My point was that when we walk into a room as men we do sort woman first by site, and if we are seeking a romantic relationship we will often order our conversation based on looks. But (and Lynn already pointed this out in this thread) that Faith/ values, then intellect and interests, and only then physical attractiveness is the proper order to discern if we want to be in relationship with her. If the most physically attractive woman in the room is also a jerk and a bore she is not going to hold the man's attention very long at all (unless he too is a jerk and a bore! (and that will be one messed up relationship!))

Also, I made this point that as we get to know women, either dating, or as friends, they often become more beautiful in our site, and we appreciate their version of feminine beauty more deeply.
Jun 05 new
(quote) Matt-61677 said: I agree. My point was [..]

Also, I made this point that as we get to know women, either dating, or as friends, they often become more beautiful in our site, and we appreciate their version of feminine beauty more deeply.
OK, good, there's no further disagreement coming from me :)
Jun 05 new
(quote) Matt-61677 said:  If the most physically attractive woman in the room is also a jerk and a bore she is not going to hold the man's attention very long at all (unless he too is a jerk and a bore! (and that will be one messed up relationship!))

Trust me, I've gone on some dates with a girl who is nice, and dresses modestly (without it being extreme), but is not a match on the brains. . . . almost reminds one of the Loni Anderson secretary (who put on not being capable). . . . and it is frustrating. . .
Jun 05 new
IMHO...looks are pretty important...whether we admit it or not! Would we try to look our worst when going in public? No. Would we just put any old picture as our profile pic? Probably not. Of course, we each hope and pray that we get a good person as a match but I still think we really do "see" first then "act"...or not! But beauty (looks) is in the eyes of the beholder...thank goodness...so there's most likely someone for everyone! Now whether you list it as a requirement in you desired match "qualifications" is another story.
Jun 05 new
Watch out for men in heat caused by mutual attraction that present lavish promises and also women that are willing to accommodate.

Gage the behavior to that of God's instructions and ensure that both walk the path at all times.

This is why commitment as much as behavior properly formed is so essential.

Oh, did I go off topic? laughing

Physical attraction, is necessary, but it pales to it's proper place as the two get to know more about each other and become more and more aware of what God has in store for them on the whole.

Look at it this way, God does know what will attract the couple to one another, let Him lead you to that "one". I am sure you will like it! just stay on the right path!!!!
Jun 05 new
(quote) John-971967 said: Watch out for men in heat caused by mutual attraction that present lavish promises and also women that are willing to accommodate.

Gage the behavior to that of God's instructions and ensure that both walk the path at all times.

This is why commitment as much as behavior properly formed is so essential.

Oh, did I go off topic?

Physical attraction, is necessary, but it pales to it's proper place as the two get to know more about each other and become more and more aware of what God has in store for them on the whole.

Look at it this way, God does know what will attract the couple to one another, let Him lead you to that "one". I am sure you will like it! just stay on the right path!!!!
John, your last paragraph was nothing short of BRILLIANT! I am a firm believer in Divine intervention just never could express it so clearly. Thank you. biggrin
Jun 05 new
Awesome responses!

Looks are important in my opinion, and what looks good is different for everyone. Can't tell you how many times growing up my mom would say to us "look kids! Here comes that handsome man!" and we'd look around going "what? Where?" And a big, bearded, chubby balding guy would emerge from the crowd, "You mean DADDY???!!! Are you serious???" rolling eyes

That being said, the more I get to know a guy, my attraction to him changes. As I like him more and more his looks get better and better. As I like him less...my attraction to him wanes and he joins the band of the "looks good but won't wear well."

To me, height is more of an issue. I find it easier to look up to guys who are taller than me.
pun intended. cool
Jun 05 new
(quote) Naomi-825244 said: Awesome responses!

Looks are important in my opinion, and what looks good is different for everyone. Can't tell you how many times growing up my mom would say to us "look kids! Here comes that handsome man!" and we'd look around going "what? Where?" And a big, bearded, chubby balding guy would emerge from the crowd, "You mean DADDY???!!! Are you serious???"  
laughing

That is soooooooooo funny Naomi!

My mother used to say the same thing about my dad when we were young, and we (kids) would just roll our eyes.

They're still married.
Posts 11 - 20 of 77