Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jun 6th 2013 new
(quote) Naomi-825244 said: Leyden, that's hysterical!!! I can totally see my mama saying the same thing.

Yes, I do worry about my safety from time to time, espeically since I keep such odd and inconsistent hours. I carry my keys clenched and poking out of my fist and say a St. Michael prayer when walking out of work in downtown Norfolk, and do the same when I come home. If my roomate isn't home, I clear the house. Yep, you got it: turn on all the lights, look in the closets and bathtub and everything. Am I neurotic? no...just single and scared with an overactive imagination. I always leave a light on...and a different light each time when I know I will be out late. put a security sign in the window...may at least deter some folks.
Naomi!!

I suspect that if we lived closer we would be really good friends! laughing laughing laughing

I used to do the same thing with my keys and I still do with the St. Michael prayer! My dad, who constantly worried about his daughters' safety in the big bad NYC, would give my sister and I weekly drills on personal safety. Much to my mother's dismay these involved: how to disable your opponent, the best places to do the most damage, shank vs shiv*, the pros and cons of homemade weaponry. I think that he was one bad day away from being a doomsday prepper.

But in all seriousness, what he did teach us was to be aware of our environment, to quickly identify potential threats and most importantly to ALWAYS THINK and not let fear overcome reason in tense situations. This saved my sister during an assault in which she used her key to hurt the guy and get away and me when the store where I worked was robbed at gun point (we were both teenagers at the time).

I also agree with Lauren and Lina, once you take care of the practicals....leave those anxieties in God's providential care. As Venerable Catherine McAuley said, "While
we place all our confidence in God, we must act as if all depended on ourselves."

In Christ,
Leyden

*There are subtle but important differences between the two.
Jun 6th 2013 new
No I don't worry too much about my security. I live in a small town where not too much happens and the police department is right around the corner from me and I have nosy neighbors. I also have security lights at all the entrances of my house.

The person that lives like a victim and lives in fear of everything will always be a victim. Learn to be aware of your surroundings.
Jun 6th 2013 new
a dog is the answer. Bad guys dont wsnt to get bit, they willl find another house to rob as soon as they heat barking. A rescue in the 40-50 pound range. All my mutts were rescues. Get one 1-3 years pld, typically no house breaking reqiired. Dogs have 3 jobs : protection, dragging ypu aroind the block for fitness (yours and theirs) and cleaning the kitchen floor when ypu are clumsy with food. A problem with dogs is when you travel kennels are a bit expensive.
Jun 7th 2013 new
(quote) Laura-896845 said: I've got motion sensing lights all around the exterior of my home. Another lighting preventative (and a cheap one at that) that you might look into is having a lamp on a timer to make it look like someone is home even when you're not. I always like coming home to a non-dark interior too. :) ....
I also have a small four-legged security system who worked just as well when I had an apartment as she does now that I have a house. The only problem is that she's a bit of an indiscriminate protectress. She barks at people near the house (like our poor mailman every day) and cars that stop outside my house. She recognizes the Fedex truck as a sign of "possible invader of our turf" even when it's across the street. She also works hard to protect me from squirrels, telephone ring tones that sound like doorbells (to her), and cabinet doors closed loudly (she thinks it's a knock on the front door). As the mat on my front porch says, "Ask not for whom the dog barks; it barks for thee." Even if thee is a squirrel. We are working on the "shush!" command.

And if all of those fail, well, I try to keep the ol' soul prepared to meet its maker at any hour.
Your doggie sounds fantastic, and that is totally the best welcome mat ever!

I had a friend who, when speeding to Mass, would always say "the great thing about Catholics is they are not afraid to die!"

"At the hour of my death call me and bid me come to thee that with thy saints I may praise thee forever and ever, Amen." Praying
Jun 7th 2013 new
Hi John,

i agree that a dog is security. My little girl was small but ferocious in protecting what was hers from people to her favorite doggie treat! I loved her and miss her dearly.

Like alot of the women here, even when I was married, I was the investigator. If I found something suspicious, I would wake him up and he would get the shotgun and go patrolling. Now, I investigate and call the professionals. I have called the police twice over the past few years and depend on my powers of observation and practicality. I have security doors (insisted on them when the kids were young) deadlock bolts, but my keen sense of hearing has been a savior. My next door neighbor has an outdoor dog that is a great watchdog and the way these homes are built, he can see into my yard as well, no fences for me. There is lighting at the end of my property thanks to the city and another neighbor.

I found being the only adult protector an awesome responsibility during the first few years of being single. I was such a light sleeper, the boys couldn't get away with anything! In the summer, I would leave the upstairs windows open until one night at 3am
Jun 7th 2013 new
Sorry, I pushed the send button. A car was idling in my driveway with lights on. I went downstairs and put on all the spotlights and had 911 dialed ready to push talk and the car hightailed it out of the driveway and down the street. I am very cautious about my environment, no high landscaping, good lighting, garage door up and then down as soon as I am in the garage. I use the same guard at work, look for suspicious people, always have keys ready, observant about what s around my car. You have to protect yourself whenever and wherever you can. Always be observant about your environment and listen to your senses.

Eileen.
Jun 7th 2013 new
Do you know your neighbors? Nothing makes me feel safer than knowing that there are people I know not far away, in case I need them. Don't know them? Bake brownies and introduce yourself!
I put 2 lamps on timers, they come on before dusk every night. I hate to walk into an empty , dark house, and the lamps take care of that, and it makes the house look occupied if I am away.

Good luck!!
Jun 7th 2013 new
These statements are exactly what I was going to say. A 45-50 lb dog will protect your house. 2 are even better. I went to a neighborhood watch meeting and they had a retired cop speaking. He said in 35 years of doing investigations he never saw an instance where a home having 2 dogs was burglarized. He said alarms and lights and locks are not nearly the deterrent as a dog. The down side is you have to board them when traveling.
Jun 7th 2013 new
Hi everyone,

I used to teach martial arts, and personal defense is a huge interest of mine, so I figured I would add to the discussion here. I have noticed a few of you have said that you put your keys between your knuckles as a precautionary defensive measure. Please, please, please DON"T DO THAT. If you try to strike someone with keys between your knuckles you will damage the connective tissue between your fingers. It won't make your fists any more effective, and it will hurt you to boot. Not a good thing.

I would recommend a product called a kubotan instead. They are easy to use and easily concealable, plus they only cost about 6 dollars off of Amazon and other similar websites. You can actually use them as keychains, which will make you less likely to lose them. Plus, they are legal in all 50 states.

"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning knives into spears;let the weakling boast, I am a warrior!" Joel 4:12
Jun 8th 2013 new
You should read. the Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker. he is the former Los Angeles DA and he talks about keeping your Guard up
Posts 11 - 20 of 26